Check your onboard charges carefully

CJDepew

It's hard to keep track of drinks here and there, here and there, here and there. I'm not sure how to make sure an extra doesn't get added in. :confused: I guess we will check a couple times a day. (No cheers)

Edited by kona_wahine

We always check our bill. Only time it has been wrong was before Cheers! I had ordered a drink and was delivered the wrong drink. When I brought it to the server's attention, I was given the drink I ordered in the 1st place. But, I was charged for both drinks on our bill. Wasn't a problem to straighten out. And I think just an honest mistake. And also, we ask the steward to keep our fridge locked our entire cruise. We have had drinks charged to our account, from the mini bar. Again, easy to rectify as it was locked. We, also, now with Cheers!, just tip extra with cash. I am confused about OP saying the drink prices differed, and this was with Cheers! I don't remember ever seeing a price on our receipts, just a zero balance.:confused:

Something is not adding up for me. Maybe it is just me.

1. If had Cheers!, why would price difference matter since it would be covered either way and show up as $0 (plus added tips)?

2. More drinks on slips than they ordered? Thought with Cheers! it was only one drink every X minutes?

Plus, they cut you off after 15.

Oh, so an underpaid, overworked bartender who serves people he will never see again in a few days decided to pad the tips of his (possibly) inebriated clients? I'm shocked. Shocked!

I'm sure things like this are an isolated incident, since the risk of being caught is high. Carnival wouldn't think twice about making such employees walk the plank.

Course, the best way to prevent employee theft and fraud is pay them well in the first place, but nevermind.

Certainly that's some of the best advice you could get for going on a cruise: check your room bill. Best to check it, in fact, the last or 2nd last day of the cruise, that way you have a chance to settle it at Guest Services on the spot. And check it not just because of potential fraud: human and/or computer error could also cause erroneous charges.

Edited by Dunnik

We check our S&S account often during our cruises, especially if we don't have a receipt. We can usually remember what we did the day before, so checking frequently helps. On one sailing we had a couple of charges for drinks on our account that were not ours. It's much easier to take care of during the cruise than upon debarkation or after.

Oh, so an underpaid, overworked bartender who serves people he will never see again in a few days decided to pad the tips of his (possibly) inebriated clients? I'm shocked. Shocked!

I'm sure things like this are an isolated incident, since the risk of being caught is high. Carnival wouldn't think twice about making such employees walk the plank.

Course, the best way to prevent employee theft and fraud is pay them well in the first place, but nevermind.

Certainly that's some of the best advice you could get for going on a cruise: check your room bill. Best to check it, in fact, the last or 2nd last day of the cruise, that way you have a chance to settle it at Guest Services on the spot. And check it not just because of potential fraud: human and/or computer error could also cause erroneous charges.

High paid, highly educated employees also committed fraud.

I am not saying it could not happen because it would be very easy to change a 1 to a 3, but I do not believe this story.

A group of people but apparently only one had a problem and multiple times.

I also do not believe this person was told they would terminate the person's contract. That is what should and probably would happen but you never give that information out.

However, the general message is a good one, check your bill before you get off the boat.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is what advantage this would have been to the bartender doing the deed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the CC extra tips added to their pool and split? And since there is no cash handled by the bartenders for actual drink sales, what would be the motivation for charging more for the drinks?

If there were truly a big scam going on to inflate tips, it would have had to have been really wide spread and participated in by many wait staff in order for them to have scored anything from it.

Not saying your friend is not telling the truth, but I would be far more ready to blame this on some kind of computer glitch than anything sketchy with the bartender.

I also don't buy them saying that staff member's contract would be terminated. They're not going to tell you that over the phone, and if they did, well, shame on that person too.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is what advantage this would have been to the bartender doing the deed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the CC extra tips added to their pool and split?

Yea, I agree as that's what they say. I'm a little surprised the OP doesn't have a March 2016 CC join date.

The thing that doesn't make sense to me is what advantage this would have been to the bartender doing the deed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the CC extra tips added to their pool and split?

Little here, little there, some gets caught and challenged, some goes unnoticed and added to the pot.

Little here, little there, some gets caught and challenged, some goes unnoticed and added to the pot.

Resulting in about an extra 10 bucks each, maybe, if they managed to do it enough to get an extra couple hundred dollars. Doesn't seem worth a contract that many of them support their families back home on.

Nope, still not buying it.

Resulting in about an extra 10 bucks each, maybe, if they managed to do it enough to get an extra couple hundred dollars. Doesn't seem worth a contract that many of them support their families back home on.

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say it. This story reeks of exaggeration. I wouldn't be surprised if it was only one erroneous charge and after the story was told over and over it got inflated and added the terminated contract for the sake of drama.

Sorry, how can any of this be either true or of concern if you are paying $50/day for somewhat unlimited drinks?

Either there are a lot of details missing or this is a bogus account.

The alleged victim may wish that Carnival would track down the perps and terminate their contract, but there is NO way that she was told that by Carnival.

Finally, this happens on all ships of all cruise lines......and as others have said, land venues deal with this issue, too.

So I was part of a group on the March 13th sailing on the Conquest. Many of us in the group purchased the Cheers drink package. One of them thought it was odd that the price for the same drink fluctuated by a dollar depending on which bar she went to. She left a one dollar tip on each drink.

When she got her itemized purchases her tip amounts had been changed from one dollar to four dollars, and they had more drinks on their daily slips than they actually ordered. After calling Carnival she had her charges reversed but will never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Carnival claims they are going to track down the bartenders responsible and terminate their contracts.

Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but I thought it was worth mentioning because some folks don't look at their charges as carefully as others.

Do you seriously believe what you told us??? Your common sense should tell you the other couple bar hopped, and yet every server or bartender singled this couple out??? Why would they bother price check when each drink ordered fell under the 15 drink limit in the first place. How did they know more drinks were ordered? Who was in charge of their S&S card? What did you mean when you said they left a one dollar tip on each drink? Was it a dollar cash? Was it a dollar on each slip?

Hey it adds up. Do you really think anyone is getting fired over this? No way. I am sure these erroneous charges occur all the time on all the lines; when challenged guest services will just remove the charge.

I am not saying it could not happen because it would be very easy to change a 1 to a 3, but I do not believe this story.

A group of people but apparently only one had a problem and multiple times.

I also do not believe this person was told they would terminate the person's contract. That is what should and probably would happen but you never give that information out.

However, the general message is a good one, check your bill before you get off the boat.

You are making assumptions. I did not mention that another person in this group also had an extra charge, but that also happened. $172 to be exact. It was for an excursion that was booked to an incorrect stateroom. She, however, checked her charges before she left.

The person with the problem bar bill had multiple drinks rung up to her room in the span of 5 minutes. She drank the first one. The subsequent orders were not hers.

Ultimately, I couldn't care less if folks don't believe my report. I thought it was a good reminder of being on top of one's onboard account in order to avoid problems.

Edited by CJDepew
grammar

Do you seriously believe what you told us??? Your common sense should tell you the other couple bar hopped, and yet every server or bartender singled this couple out??? Why would they bother price check when each drink ordered fell under the 15 drink limit in the first place. How did they know more drinks were ordered? Who was in charge of their S&S card? What did you mean when you said they left a one dollar tip on each drink? Was it a dollar cash? Was it a dollar on each slip?

There is a time stamp when charges are entered. They had multiple drinks ordered within a 5 minute time period in some cases. They wrote 1.00 on their slips for a tip and the 1 was changed into a 4. This is easy enough to do. Husband is in law enforcement and has seen it time and time again.

Not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone, I just thought it served as a good reminder to check onboard accounts.

There is a time stamp when charges are entered. They had multiple drinks ordered within a 5 minute time period in some cases. They wrote 1.00 on their slips for a tip and the 1 was changed into a 4. This is easy enough to do. Husband is in law enforcement and has seen it time and time again.

Not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone, I just thought it served as a good reminder to check onboard accounts.

You are right and the reminder is appreciated on my side at least.

This place loves to put OP'S on trial. Convict them. And then do mental gymnastics to make the conviction stick.

This place loves to put OP'S on trial. Convict them. And then do mental gymnastics to make the conviction stick.

And others are just too gullible and believe everything they read here. :rolleyes:

Edited by HamSammie

You are making assumptions. I did not mention that another person in this group also had an extra charge, but that also happened. $172 to be exact. It was for an excursion that was booked to an incorrect stateroom. She, however, checked her charges before she left.

The person with the problem bar bill had multiple drinks rung up to her room in the span of 5 minutes. She drank the first one. The subsequent orders were not hers.

Ultimately, I couldn't care less if folks don't believe my report. I thought it was a good reminder of being on top of one's onboard account in order to avoid problems.

As I said, it is a good reminder to check your bill, and now that you have added information, I really do not believe the story.