Ugh! Cruise is now $3600 cheaper

DarkCrystal

I'm in shock! What a huge difference between the price I paid and what it is now (after final payment). I can accept a drop in price but this is ridiculous. It makes me reconsider ever booking another cruise with them, especially when they won't offer any compensation, like an OBC.

Are these huge drops the norm?

If the cruise isn't selling as well as they thought, then yes.

Do the math. Is it cheaper to cancel, accept the penalty and rebook? Might not get the same cabin or perks. OR maybe you can upgrade yourself.

Only Carnival's Early Saver fare allows price reductions after final payment. This fare has lots of restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

This happens- quite frequently....

If you have a TA they may be able to go to bat for you.

The other option- you can cancel. Take the percentage of loss and then look to rebooking at the lower rate-- of course this depends how soon your cruise is. Also, bear in mind, if you called Princess this weekend, you may want to try again during the week. The CSRs during the week seem to be a little more on their game.

After final payment, its going to be a total loss in terms of cancellation in most cases.

This happens, the cruise didn't sell as well as they hoped, but I ask the same question I always ask.. If it went up $3600 since final payment, would you give them an extra payment?

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

That said, if there is a higher cat cabin now going for what you paid, it IS worth asking for an upgrade to that class.

They offered an upgrade to a mini suite for another $900 LOL

Very close to sailing, about 9 days. I'm not particularly ticked off about it, these things happen, and I'm going to enjoy the cruise in spite of. I was just curious if this happens on a regular basis and I should wait before I book, if the cabin isn't important to me.

I'm in shock! What a huge difference between the price I paid and what it is now (after final payment). I can accept a drop in price but this is ridiculous. It makes me reconsider ever booking another cruise with them, especially when they won't offer any compensation, like an OBC.

Are these huge drops the norm?

I assume the $3,600 price drop is per-person. That's an expensive cruise and a huge price drop. I know of some cruises that have had similar price drops but not many that big. On the other hand, prices can also go up, up, up!

It's worth having your TA call and try to get you some compensation. That's what they're there for and one reason why people use a TA. If they're unable to get you an upgrade or some OBC, then you need a new TA. If you booked directly, the rep is working for Princess and isn't as likely to work for you. Princess allows TAs to discount cruise fares that CSRs and Princess reps can't match. Another reason to use a good TA.

It's worth having your TA call and try to get you some compensation. That's what they're there for and one reason why people use a TA. If they're unable to get you an upgrade or some OBC, then you need a new TA. If you booked directly, the rep is working for Princess and isn't as likely to work for you. Princess allows TAs to discount cruise fares that CSRs and Princess reps can't match. Another reason to use a good TA.

Agree with Pam. I took a cruise that had a very big drop. They moved me up several categories and gave me more OBC after final payment.

Never hurts to ask.

I assume the $3,600 price drop is per-person. That's an expensive cruise and a huge price drop. I know of some cruises that have had similar price drops but not many that big. On the other hand, prices can also go up, up, up!

No, it's for two people. Thank Goodness! It just kind of upsetting, because I realize I could take ANOTHER cruise with the price difference ;-)

Agree with Pam. I took a cruise that had a very big drop. They moved me up several categories and gave me more OBC after final payment.

Never hurts to ask.

In another post I read, it appeared that they don't compensate Australians or Canadians.

In another post I read, it appeared that they don't compensate Australians or Canadians.

A friend is on a Mid-May cruise that went down quite a bit. They did upgrade him from an inside to a mini suite when the TA called.

Not sure if that is true about Australians/Canadians. I know Australians are a totally different beast. Canadians can book with US agents, so I think they are more like US passengers, but could be wrong.

I would suggest calling again and seeing if you can get an upgrade.

They offered an upgrade to a mini suite for another $900 LOL

Very close to sailing, about 9 days. I'm not particularly ticked off about it, these things happen, and I'm going to enjoy the cruise in spite of. I was just curious if this happens on a regular basis and I should wait before I book, if the cabin isn't important to me.

Yes - they try to fill the ship as the sailing gets closer.

It is a risk one takes, not just with cruises, but with airfares as well.

Just curious...if the cruise fare had gone up $1800pp, would you be upset if Princess demanded you pay that increased fare?

Well, I'm actually not upset about the decrease, I'm just in shock about how big the drop is and wondering if this happens a lot. I keep reading other posts about Princess offering OBCs or upgrades when this happens, and instead, Princess offered me an upsell.

I have a cabin on my favourite deck, in a good spot, I'm satisfied.

Are you using a TA? My extended family cruises Princess primarily and whenever there is a big price drop after final (and there most usually is), the TA gets them massive OBC.

As for people saying "what if it went up" well; it didn't. So null point.

Are you using a TA? My extended family cruises Princess primarily and whenever there is a big price drop after final (and there most usually is), the TA gets them massive OBC.

As for people saying "what if it went up" well; it didn't. So null point.

I am using a TA, he's phoned several times to speak to different customer service people, they have all said there's nothing they can do about it. He's a lot more upset about it than I am.

I'm trying to figure what the heck this could be.......They are obviously in a balcony at best.......so which balcony cabin can go down $1800 PP and they're still making money?.......WOW :eek: This has to be a LONG cruise I'd think

Round trip from Vancouver to Hawaii. Balcony cabin cost us $7000.

Round trip from Vancouver to Hawaii. Balcony cabin cost us $7000.

Wazoo.......$3500 PP for probably 15 nights......man were they proud of that cruise ! $1700 is a little more realistic (35 minus 18)

not that it matters a real lot, but was that $3500 PP CDN ?

While they do treat Australian bookings differently, we in Canada are treated the same as those south of the border. The only difference is we can book in Cdn dollars, and they do an exchange in the background. I have taken several nice price drops on a past and upcoming cruise, alas neither were after final payment (and our cruise on the Crown dropped significantly after the final payment date up to 1/2 price in some cabins).

Edited by Valiamo