Prepaid Service charges

starprotected

Hi everyone

I have a question regarding prepaid service charges and choice promotion service charges. I am assuming these are the prepaid gratuities. One is for the free dinner and drink packages and the other is for cabin attendant and dining room. Is my assumption correct?

I know that we are free to add additional if the service is great, but I have often wondered if the crew is aware that we have prepaid these if we are not tipping them as we get a drink or are served dinner in the up charge restaurants.

I worry that if we do not tip additional that we may lose attention of the drink servers.

What are your thoughts?

Your service charges are included in your cruise fare. The crew will get will still get the same amount as if your were still "paying" your own service charges. It is the same with the beverage and dining packages.

So,,,, the daily service charge (DSC) covers your room steward, main dining room servers, and the associated behind the scenes folks supporting those positions. Your can pre-pay it (or get it pre-paid as a freestyle offer from time to time). If not, it is automatically added to your room bill daily.

The people not covered by the DSC include certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) since they provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. For the bar service, they are covered by the 18% gratuity added to each drink order or our beverage package. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Bottom line, a few additional dollars to the bar staff wouldn't hurt the attention you get.

We also always leave an envelope for our cabin steward to show our appreciation for the effort they put in to making our vacation special.

Edited by BirdTravels

The prepaid service charges were additional on top of my cruise price at 13.50 per person per day $189.00 and additional Choice promotion of $187.92

I also noticed in NCL's explanation of gratuities, that beverage service was not part of the daily service charge.

But with the choice promotion service charge for the free drink package - are they now included in that as far as gratuities go?

So confusing.

Thanks for helping me get this all straightened out!

I am all for giving additional where it is warranted. But was wondering if the beverage service will be looking for it on each service.

I also wonder if I am hanging at the pool and order drinks will I be attended to if I do not tip each time?

The prepaid service charges were additional on top of my cruise price at 13.50 per person per day $189.00 and additional Choice promotion of $187.92 I also noticed in NCL's explanation of gratuities, that beverage service was not part of the daily service charge. But with the choice promotion service charge for the free drink package - are they now included in that as far as gratuities go?

So,,, those charges were the 18% gratuity for the drinks package.

Without the drinks package, 18% gratuity is added to every drink order from the bar. You can throw in more if you feel like it.

With the drinks package, you pay for the drinks and the 18% gratuity in advance. So,, while you got the drinks package for free, NCL is charging you the 18% gratuity for that package.

That being said, in both cases, no additional tip is needed or expected. And frankly, most of the people on the ship will not provide any additional tips.

I am all for giving additional where it is warranted. But was wondering if the beverage service will be looking for it on each service.

I also wonder if I am hanging at the pool and order drinks will I be attended to if I do not tip each time?

Stop stressing on this.

You have paid the Daily Service Charge, and the Gratuity/Service Charge on the beverage package as well as the dining package.

You are covered. No one will ignore you. You will be fine.

Nothing to worry about, if you give an extra tip or if you don't, they will still take care of you.

Your service charges are included in your cruise fare. The crew will get will still get the same amount as if your were still "paying" your own service charges. It is the same with the beverage and dining packages.

This is not at all true. The daily service charge is in addition to your cruise fare, and is not included. You may pay it prior to your cruise, or you may wait and pay it after you are on board.

Beverage and dining packages are a separate service charge that is billed when you purchase the package, or if the package is "free" it is included the amount due at final payment.

To suggest that service charges are included and should not be paid, is wrong.

This is not at all true. The daily service charge is in addition to your cruise fare, and is not included. You may pay it prior to your cruise, or you may wait and pay it after you are on board.

Beverage and dining packages are a separate service charge that is billed when you purchase the package, or if the package is "free" it is included the amount due at final payment.

To suggest that service charges are included and should not be paid, is wrong.

NCL included the DSC as a booking bonus for a period of time last year.

I have seen several posts on this board that say the crew is paid a contracted amount and it does not change regardless of the number of guests who remove the DSC.( If NCL is actually distributing these funds to the crew)

It seems if NCL can give the DSC as a booking bonus, they should certainly be able to replace the funds that are returned to guests who request to have the DSC removed from their account.

Edited by swedish weave

The prepaid service charges were additional on top of my cruise price at 13.50 per person per day $189.00 and additional Choice promotion of $187.92

I also noticed in NCL's explanation of gratuities, that beverage service was not part of the daily service charge.

But with the choice promotion service charge for the free drink package - are they now included in that as far as gratuities go?

So confusing.

The beverage service charge was never part of the DSC. they always added a gratuity to each drink or soft drink you ordered. With the package they are just charging you up front for the tips since you wont be getting a bill with each drink ordered