First cruise with costa, AND I'M SCARED!

namwicha

My family and I will be cruising on Costa Favolosa on June 25. I had the same concerns initially, especially after reading the reviews section here. But after reading a LOT of comments on the Costa forum we decided to take a chance.

Pretty much everywhere you go, whether it is on a cruise, to a land-based all inclusive resort to just a simple hotel stay for business you will see comments and reviews running the gamut between "Amazing!!!!" and "Absolutely horrific!!!" And that is at the same place and the same week! Generally, I think most people don't take the time to post lengthy reviews, and those who do oftentimes have an axe to grind. If they have a good time, they don't bother reviewing.

My family usually cruises on Carnival--and we love it, while others make fun of it, talk about how horrible it is and call names like "Walmart of the Seas." We expect that the Costa cruise experience will likely be similar to Carnival's, but with an Italian flair. And that sounds great to me!

I will be sure to report back with an honest review when I return in early July. :)

Edited by Laurin612
clarity

I too am a well-seasoned traveler. I am from a European background, and my husband lived in Europe for a number of years. We got off our first (and last) Costa cruise 2 weeks ago.

In answer to some questions - yes there is free water at lunch and dinner if you are on WaterUSA. It is always free at the buffet.

If you love to dance, this is the cruise line for you. Rooms are nice. English is really not a problem.

However, I have 3 major grievances :

1) My passport information was put in a public place, and left there all day. As it was for all non-European passengers. I consider this a major breach of security.

2) The passenger safety drill was a joke. You couldn't hear the announcement, and the staff had no idea what to do. They just wanted to cross your name off the list, and then you could leave. After the Concordia, I would have thought they would have at least tried.

3) 40% of the ship was sick according to the ship doctor. This was going on for 3 months, because there is no sanitation. Hand washing is discouraged, most of the time the hand sanitation stations are empty. They are never near the food. There is nothing to wipe gym equipment off with. Sometimes the passengers are just told to grab sandwiches with their hands.

I was scared of going, but my husband and I rationalized that this was just a typical problem, with people being used to home, and not adapting. It isn't that the food was bad. The service level so low, that everything is a step up. At the pay restaurant, they apologized to us 10 times, and then cancelled the bill. The thermal suite was dirty, and the staff were unhelpful. That a majority of the European passengers didn't like the cruise line, but went with it for price.

I too know people who love the cruise line. I have no clue as to why. When I am spending my hard earned money, I expect better. I would rather stay home then experience another cruise like this. This was far from my first cruise.

Each to his/her own - for my money and my health this is a never again situation. My husband and I are still sick, 2 weeks after getting off the boat.

Good luck!

Edited by toronto.gal

Are you sure???

I note you didn't name the ship, or location. Your experience is nothing like anything I've experienced on our many Costa cruises.

Hand washing discouraged? How? Is someone standing next to the sink saying no don't do it?

Crossed of a list at muster station? What list? There is no "list".

Allowed to leave? No, not on any of the ships we went on. We had to wait, I guess we could have insisted like some idiots, perhaps you were already in a mood and decided you were going anyway. Yes, it's chaotic, but it is on most ships, lots of people walking around all in the same place with large life vests on. The PA is clear, all 5 languages we patiently waited through because we knew we should.

With that level of sickness it would be reported and quaranteened. And of course the ships doctor would be telling everyone. Was it noted in the daily magazine? At that level if I didn't get it I'd want a refund. I'd feel left out.

No sanitisers? Every deck, every food station. Rooms spotless with constant cleaning.

And if you still have it after 2 weeks at home you are reinfecting yourself from ..... Well I will leave you to guess how. Perhaps you took the bug with you, it's not confined to ships.

Your post is so different, it's even worse than the complaints we see here, but I'm sure you have asked for a refund.

I too am nervous about my Costa cruise in Nov. The reviews and complaints are on par with the RCCL cruise I am also holding. The excursion cancelling is worrisome. I'm going to call Costa on Monday and see if they will put notes in our account that we will accept Italian excursions if not enough people sign up for English. I will remember the sites long after I have forgotten what the guide says. Good luck to you on your cruise. Please let us know if you go with Costa and how it was.

We are british , living in France and can drive to Barcelona in 3 hours and Savona in 6 hours , we have been on Costa several times and have booked another 2 this year , we have just returned from South America on Princess , we like to book our big cruise on an american line , normally Princess but next year Celebrity for the itinerary to the Far East . Costa is different but the prices are far less than other cruise lines including their drink packages , you are not allowed to cancel the tips as far as I am aware , all the staff we have encountered have been polite and happy and we have never had a problem with any members of staff , they all speak english as mentioned before , the italian and french guests can be very rude about queuing as previously stated but I normally tap them on the shoulder and point to the back of the queue , this normally works , the food is mediterranean and whilst you do not get steaks and lobster it is very good , there is always a pasta course on the menu which we tend to share as a course as not to eat too much, the only gripe I have with Costa is that after your evening meal you cannot get a snack anywhere , saying that we do not have all the courses at dinner so if you do you should not need/want further food , the courses are a good size , we always have the drinks packages so get glasses of water with dinner but have seen people buying bottles of water , the shows are always good and there is a good variety of entertainment in all the bars , all in all I think Costa is value for money but you cannot compare it to the american cruise lines , it is very much Italian

Are you sure???

I note you didn't name the ship, or location. Your experience is nothing like anything I've experienced on our many Costa cruises.

Hand washing discouraged? How? Is someone standing next to the sink saying no don't do it?

Crossed of a list at muster station? What list? There is no "list".

Allowed to leave? No, not on any of the ships we went on. We had to wait, I guess we could have insisted like some idiots, perhaps you were already in a mood and decided you were going anyway. Yes, it's chaotic, but it is on most ships, lots of people walking around all in the same place with large life vests on. The PA is clear, all 5 languages we patiently waited through because we knew we should.

With that level of sickness it would be reported and quaranteened. And of course the ships doctor would be telling everyone. Was it noted in the daily magazine? At that level if I didn't get it I'd want a refund. I'd feel left out.

No sanitisers? Every deck, every food station. Rooms spotless with constant cleaning.

And if you still have it after 2 weeks at home you are reinfecting yourself from ..... Well I will leave you to guess how. Perhaps you took the bug with you, it's not confined to ships.

Your post is so different, it's even worse than the complaints we see here, but I'm sure you have asked for a refund.

I am sure - Costa Deliziosa from FLL to Venice departing on March 6. They had a hand printed list at the muster station, and just asked us so they could cross our name off. Then there was an announcement in several languages, that could not be heard - loudspeaker was not working properly. So they told us we could just leave.

We went to the ship doctor, there was a line up around the 1st floor to get in to see him. He said this has been going on for 3 months. I asked several times, about this and was met with a shrug. We are talking viral bronchitis, not Norovirus. There are NO reporting requirements for viral bronchitis. I called the CDC when I got home.

On our first day onboard the steward could not stop coughing. He handled everything in our room. Guess what, 75% of the cabins he cleaned had passengers with viral bronchitis by the end of the 3 weeks. They shared it, and other staff shared it, and you get it.

The hand washing stations are by the elevator - the food is at the buffet. In the MDR, for the late seating the handwashing stations were almost always (over 50% of the time) empty. They is no one encouraging you to wash your hands. Several times at the buffet they had no tongs or serving utensils. I asked, just use your hands I was told. Great!

I speak several languages, and I spoke to passengers. The European ones generally took the cruise because of the price. They didn't particularly like it, but they felt it was worth it for the money. The Americans (or Canadians) largely hated it. I fall into the hated it camp. As a comparison, I did a budget tour of China last summer - 2 months long - that was much preferable to being on what we called 'The Plague Ship'.

I was worried about Costa because of their reputation, but I wanted to go. The itinerary seemed great, and how bad can it be. Well, I learned my lesson. My husband is disabled and asked for a glass of water at breakfast, he was told by the waiter that it wasn't his job.

At lunch the Maitre d' asked us how long we had been waiting for our food, we said an hour. He said, that's okay. Is it?

We tried to complain - but there really wasn't much point. There is more, I just didn't want to add it. I am generally so excited about cruising. I have been on a river cruise in China were I was one of two English speakers out of 700 (the other was my husband). It was strange, but fun. Overall I have been on more than 20 cruises, on many different companies.

I have been on a small low cost trip in the Galapagos, but it was fun.

This was unpleasant, unsanitary, and dangerous.

I don't care how many languages the announcements are in, I don't care about the water (you have to pay many places in the world), I don't care that you had to pay to watch a movie on the TV in your room (a first for us), I don't care that there was no real enrichment activities, I don't care that the food was not to my taste, and I don't even care that most of the staff grumbled the whole time about working on the ship. Being able to talk to many of them in their native language makes a big difference to understanding how they feel.

I do care when my passport information is made available to anyone, when they don't even pretend to have a safety drill, and when the negatives far outweigh any positives. This is the first and only cruise I have been on, where I was counting the hours until my freedom.

You don't have to believe me. I am sharing my experience as is. Take it or leave it. Yes, I am taking this up with Carnival Corporate - I am a shareholder, and this risks my investment.

I understand Costa plans to start focusing on the Chinese market. I wonder if they have any idea what that really means. As long as they make money, it helps my shares. I will vote with my $$ and my time by cruising elsewhere.

Judy

I am sure - Costa Deliziosa from FLL to

You don't have to believe me. I am sharing my experience as is. Take it or leave it. Yes, I am taking this up with Carnival Corporate - I am a shareholder, and this risks my investment.

Judy

Thanks for the clarification. Best sell those shares, it looks like its all down hill from here......and all those new ships ordered, with no one going on them. I guessed you would be seeking compensation.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to contribute to your share dividend each year, I know a good thing when I see it!

Canadian gal probably didn't get a free upgrade they wanted - so the crusade against Costa.

Actually, our room was a great free upgrade - we loved it. Our steward was fabulous, on the days he was well enough to work.

At any rate - I say go on Costa if you want. For a North American, it is not the deal it is for Europeans. Shareholder benefits are available on all Carnival cruise lines.

I don't have a crusade against Costa - but it was a miserable experience. Which given that I love cruising makes me sad.

I'll sign off this thread - I am sure Costa will be around for a long time, as Carnival invested a ton of money and they have to recoop the Concordia disaster.

• 4 weeks later...
Sums up Costa! But I love 'em and their ships!

4th Cruise in two years with them in 3 weeks time!

But the positives

Price

Better itineraries than most!

Large cabins

Great shows

Take a look at my first three review! What's not to like?

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=8937

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=9610

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

Will be writing another about our travels on Costa Meditterranea when we return late April 30th! Keep your eyes peeled!

I have no doubt it will be a great cruise because no matter, we will make it a great cruise! THink you should adopt a similar attitude and you will have a great time despite yourself!

Hindsight is of course a gift not many are blessed with.

All the same, I shall eagerly await your review of Costa Mediterranea and the reasons why..."This cruise certainly provokes reflection and a rethink of strategy. A river cruise may be a workable alternative".

Ive enjoyed all my Costa cruises and have another booked for later in the year ( not entirely sure where it is going to start, when it will end and wha ship it will be on, but that is another story!) I agree with Malnik if you are the type that needs a high degree of organisation and detailed information from them, you'll be disappointed. I have that at work, I'm quite happy to be left to my own devices and go with the flow when on holiday.

MSC, the other Italian line, gets similar criticisms on its European sailings as Costa does. Seems that what I love about both lines, many English speaking passengers (and dare I say it Americans) hate or are uncomfortable with. If I'm being honest, I loathe the American service style and tipping culture but tolerate if I'm in the US. I like the European style better, far less intrusive (IMO) and none of that fake friendliness, behaving like they're your new best friend. I've heard people complain that service is too slow (of both Italian lines). That depends on what your expectations are and preferences. We Europeans don't have lower expectations, but different ones. For me dinner is the major part of my evening and I like it to be a long leisurely affair (as Italians do). Others want to be in and out in an hour so if it takes 2 they think it's bad. I think it's bad if I get rushed out the door in an hour.

Likewise service around the pool. I like that I'm left in perfect peace reading my book without someone trying to flog me a drink fairly regularly. If I want one, I lay my book down and look for the waiter, make eye contact and they come and serve me. I know that is what I have to do when I want to be served. Some don't know this and fume that no one is coming around to ask them what they want. They are accustomed to a different service style.

Then there is the "water" issue. They don't have the wrong business model because they don't follow the US tradition of serving free iced tap water. Most of their pax are not Americans, where people drink bottled water at home and expect to,pay for it. So that's what Costa do., serve bottledwater to suit the majority. They do make allowance though with the waterUSA thing to accommodate American pax.

So yes, I'm European (and British and Scottish) but Costa isn't typical at all of the way things are done in the UK but I really don't want that anyway. If I want a British experience, I go to a nice country house hotel for a long weekend here in the UK.

When I leave my country (be it a land based holiday or cruise) I want to be surrounded by other nationalities, eat different foods, eat at different times and hear many languages spoken and observe different cultural behaviours. I get that on Costa (and MSC)

Years ago I researched Costa and decided it wasn't for me, so I can't comment on any aspects of life on board. However some points raised here are interesting.

Tipping. It seems that tips are compulsory and can't be removed (is that true) Not good in comparison to most other lines where if I get poor service I can remove tips.

A cruise is what you make of it. Worst advice ever, if it's a lousy cruise or it just doesn't gel with you making the best of it doesn't work with many people. I can make the best of it by staying at home.

Do your research. There are lots of reviews and comments about Costa, mostly poor by my reading. Please don't book then start worrying. Worry first before booking.

David.

For many years I wanted nothing but Crystal.... And actually didn't cruise more because of that reason.... Then went on a different line and a whole wiorld opened to me.

Last year I went on Costa for 30 days on a TA.... And I have to say.... Again .... Live the experience.

If I was to compare to another Italian line (MSC) the food was better in MSC.... And the freedom to buffet choice in the evegning might be a factor for some.... I didn't miss it.... Always had dinner in the MDR.... And the choices were available.

Give your waiter a little something at the begining and make it personal, a key chain from your city works nice..... I never had an empty glass at dinner.... Yes his English was dificult at Times...... Nothnng a smile did not fix.

Live the experience .

Aj

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, I have booked a cruise on Costa for December '16. While I have cruised many times on many ships with several lines (Carnival, Norwegian, Princess, RCL) this will be my first outing with Costa and so I am doing my research. This has been overwhelming. The negatives FAR outweigh the positives. BY A LOT. Most of the posters complain about bad service, uncaring staff, money grubbing policies, rude staff, limits on access to basics (water, coffee, tea) unresponsive staff, poor quality food, limited dining choices (buffets limited times) , confusing choices, lack of communication, lack of information, THE DAMN STAFF. The list goes on. I am aware that people are far more likely to air their grievances than sing praises: if you had a good time, good- if you had a bad time, teach them a lesson! But still, come on, Costa.

Add to this the fact that The ONLY opinion I can get, across the internet is from haters. The Costa site is a JOKE. Very little information, confusing at best, unclear and incomplete. Though it is in English if you choose, clearly it is not aimed at me. If you have booked a cruise with any major line serving the USA you can access information regarding dining (sample menus on any ship, any restaurant), drinking (clear packages, wine lists, beverages, etc) services (spa, flowers, in room) and excursions ( for every port) . At best the information provided is spotty,

Policies: What is the tipping policy- some say US booked cruises can refuse the mandatory tip charge and tip individually, others deny this. Some say there is a US water policy (free at lunch and diner), others say no. What does Costa say? Good luck trying to find out.

I guess, what I'm getting at is this: WHAT THE HELL, COSTA- Don't you care.

And why should I give you my hard earned money for a 27 day 'cruise from hell'. Do you read and respond to any critique of your service, or has the bar been set so low you don't have to care. It would be one thing if I booked a cruise on a low budget, dirt cheap "Euro Ferry" for bargain hunters, But I haven't- I'm paying top dollar.

Am I wasting my money?

any response, anyone?

I just checked the reviews for costa Cruises.Out of 1347 reviews the ratings for Costa were

Excellent 393

Very Good 265

Average 239

Poor 210

Terrible 199

So it's no big difference between Costa and other cruise lines. Most cruise lines get about the same percentage of bad revievs, and some people complain no matter what cruise line they cruise with. I have sailed on Costa four times and never had any major complaints. The staff (most of them) speak english, everyone has been friendly, I have never felt discriminated even though I don't speak Italian. The food is about the same quality as on other cruise lines that I have sailed with, maybe not quite as good as Celebrity or Cunard but close. Even though it's Italian cruise line there are luts of choises other than italian food.

So don't worry, keep an open mind and enjoy your cruise.,

Veijo

I just checked the reviews for costa Cruises.Out of 1347 reviews the ratings for Costa were

Excellent 393

Very Good 265

Average 239

Poor 210

Terrible 199

So it's no big difference between Costa and other cruise lines. Most cruise lines get about the same percentage of bad revievs, and some people complain no matter what cruise line they cruise with. I have sailed on Costa four times and never had any major complaints. The staff (most of them) speak english, everyone has been friendly, I have never felt discriminated even though I don't speak Italian. The food is about the same quality as on other cruise lines that I have sailed with, maybe not quite as good as Celebrity or Cunard but close. Even though it's Italian cruise line there are luts of choises other than italian food.

So don't worry, keep an open mind and enjoy your cruise.,

Veijo

What excellent advice.

Kipis.

• 3 months later...

I had a chance to read some of the reviews on the Costa cruise line. Very interesting the comments about how Americans perceive their expectations and Europeans and Brits do. Americans seem to have very high standards considering what we pay for a cruise. Food is supposed to be excellent and plentiful. Drinks should flow freely and reasonably prices, crew should speak better English, entertainment should be up to Broadway standards. As a traveler that has been to Europe a number of times; we as Americans must understand we are in their country and their customs can be very different from ours. This is what makes overseas travel so great. Example, My wife and son and I missed a connecting flight from Paris to Rome with most of the passengers being Italian trying to get back home. When the next flight was announced there was a mad dash by the Italians to get to the counter. They were pushing, shoving and yelling. We sat back knowing we has a confirmed ticket. As an Italian American I know something about Italian culture. Native Italians are fun loving people that show their emotions outwardly. When I was in Rome and the realized my last name was Greco they sometimes hugged me and asked I had relatives in Brooklyn, NY LOL. Germans and Swiss would politely say hello. But this is the reason you travel and revel in the difference.

Hello OP and all.

We are British but have lived in Spain for over 10 years and Costa are now our preferred cruise line, having done over 70 days with them now. Previously we have sailed with P&O uk and Princess. Here are our thoughts on Costa.

Costa cruises are aimed at the western Med countries,paticulary the Italians, Spanish and French markets. You will also find other nationalities, German, Scandinavian, Russian amongst others. Most of the staff speak english,albeit with an accent and there will be an english speaking host available every day at set times to answer any questions you may have, Passengers from Britain and America on European sailings will be in the minority- The ships are brightly decorated,very clean, and important announcements are made in several languages. There will not be as much entertainment as offered on the princess or P&O ships but what there is, we found to be very good and if you are prepared to mix,you will have a very enjoyable cruise. Please note, Spanish and Italians can seem rather loud to the British and American ear. thats just the way they are, they also may seem to be rude as they do not use please and thank you numerous times,the way we do, again that's a culture thing.

Dining.

Do not expect fine dining or lobster, steak etc at Gala evenings unless you pay for it. very rarely have we had an uneatable meal and they have all been presented well. There will be meat, fish, pasta etc and at evening meals about 7 courses. Some meat cuts will be different to what you may be used to ,along with some fish you may not have heard of. Food may not be served as hot as you are used to, even at home when we go out to eat, food is not served as hot as it is in the UK or America, that's just the way it is. Meal times in the med are served a lot later than what we are used to, again this is a culture thing and you just have to accept that. Meals will not be rushed in the main restaurant. People in the med make meals a family occasion and think nothing of making meals last at least a couple of hours. People are encouraged to eat evening meals in the main restaurant, however, Costa have re-introduced buffet dining with a select number of meals served in the buffet for a limited number of hours. There will be times when no food is available, maybe for an hour between lunch and afternoon snacks and an hour or so before dinner. After the evening meal, on the bigger ships they may come round the bars with little snacks. There will be no buffet after midnight. IMO this cuts down on the massive waste that other ships have.

Pricing

I dont know about America but certainly in Europe, the price of a costa cruise is considerably cheaper than the equivalant cruise in the UK sometimes as much as half. For the price you pay it represents excellent value.

Water, Tea and coffee

One of the biggest complaints we have heard whilst aboard has been paying for water, tea and coffee. To the people in the med who are used to paying to drink bottled water, the thought of drinking water from the tap is alien to them. Many of them just don't do it. water is available free with meals in the buffet at meal times. I believe passengers from America do get free bottled water at meal times. Again,especially amongst the Italians and Spanish, Paying for a good cup of coffee after a meal is something they are used to. Again having it free is alien to them. As for tea, as a Brit who enjoys a decent cup of tea, forget it. The med countries in my opinion do not make good tea I'm on an italian ship so have to accept that fact. You will NOT find FREE tea and coffee making facilities in the cabin. In the majority of the hotels we have stayed in throughout Spain and Italy,there have been none. Again it's a culture thing.

Drinks.

Drink packages represent good value if you drink a lot. For the occasional drinker expect to pay around the same price as in a four star hotel.

Excursions.

These can be expensive, do some research and you can often do them cheaper. Do not expect to be offered a DIY in port leaflet or a member of the shore excursion team to help you do it yourself. I know they do this on brit/american ships but they don't on Costa. This is how they make money. IF you want peace of mind and to know the ship will wait for you if an excursion is back late, then a ship excursion is right for you. Remember if you go it alone and arrive back late to find the ship has left, it is YOUR responsibility to make onward arrangements.

Entertainment.

There is not as much to do as on a princess/p&o ship but what there is has been done very well. Theatre shows in the evening are almost always music or acrobatic based however they are done to a very high standard,maybe not broadway/west end style but always enjoyable.

The musicians and bands around the ship have been very good and if ballroom dancing is to your liking you will find lots of that. Unlike the p&o/princess ships, things start to get going quite late and it's not unusual to find the disco which starts at about midnight to be full of party goers.

Tipping/service charges.

Whatever you want to call it, there WILL be a daily non removable service charge/tip added to your shipboard account. We have ALWAYS received excellent to very good service on board. There may have been some minor issues, but these have always been quickly resolved. Factor this cost into your cruise and it still remains less than what we paid on a p&o, princess cruise and we know that the service charge is spread out amongst the non salaried staff so we have no qualms about this method.

In summary

We really enjoyed our P&O/Princess cruises and look back on them with fond memories. As for Costa, we have equally enjoyed their cruises. Just accept the fact that every ship is different. Go with an open mind, be prepared for a different unique experience. Make the most of whats on offer and enjoy it. We do and thats why we keep going back.

I hope this hasn't been to long winded and we wish you all many happy cruises.

bazboy,

Very good writeup, agree with you 100%.

I can never understand passengers who complain that you can't get anything to eat fro say between 17:00 and 18:00. Are their kitchens open 24/7, I know what would happen if I said to DW wife that I want the kitchen must be open 24/7, I would be fed by the local hospital for several weeks.