Allure vs Oasis

Dhew79

Looking to book my first cruise with Royal Caribbean in May of 2017. Found 2 but not sure which one to choose

Oasis leaves from Port Canaveral with stops at Nassau, st. Thomas and st Martin

Allure leaves from Ft Lauderdale with stops at St. Martin, San Juan, Haiti.

There will be 2 adults, 2 21 yr olds and a 9 year old if that helps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Looking to book my first cruise with Royal Caribbean in May of 2017. Found 2 but not sure which one to choose

Everyone has a different opinion on ports. Mine is:

We love St. Thomas and St. Martin....but hate Nassau

We love Labadee...St. Martin.....but not crazy about San Juan

So for me, it would be a wash. :):)

Edited by champagne123
sssss

It would be Allure for us. We've sailed on both and the experience onboard will be about the same...slightly different restaurant offerings and shows but both are great and ship size/amenities are nearly identical. From a departure standpoint (if flying), We'd take Allure. Ft. Lauderdale port is any easy cab ride from the airport. Port Canaveral requires rental car or transfer of some sort and traffic can get backed up from time to time adding un-needed stress. For ports, Allure gets the nod again. Nassau often has up to 5 ships in port and one small customs building. The immediate port area, IMHO is nothing to write home about. Labadee Haiti is one of our favorite stops. It's a relaxing beach day with food & beverage services provided by the ship as it is their private beach area.

You can't go wrong with either one, but our pick would be Allure. Enjoy your first cruise!

Which is closer to you?

I actually made this exact decision this week for Jan 8, 2017. We are flying in on the 8th from Dallas so the port location was a big decision factor. We went with the Allure because the cruise port is 5 minutes in a cab from the airport. Whereas Port Canaveral is nearly an hour from Orlando.

As for the ships they are ultimately a toss up. Both are spectacular. Though the Allure as of now is TECHNICALLY the largest in the world.

To me, the route is somewhat of a non-factor, because I look at the Allure as a destination in and of itself.

We are from Buffalo, NY so distance doesn't matter. And SW does nonstop to both cities. We've been on the Disney and never been to any of these ports [emoji4]

Edited by Dhew79

Oasis...................................Allure

CATS...................................Mamma Mia

Come Fly With Me.................Blue Planet

Frozen in Time Ice Show........Ice Games

Ocean of Dreams..................OceanAria

Comedy Club hosted by the inimitable Simeon.......no host ;)

I actually made this exact decision this week for Jan 8, 2017. We are flying in on the 8th from Dallas so the port location was a big decision factor. We went with the Allure because the cruise port is 5 minutes in a cab from the airport. Whereas Port Canaveral is nearly an hour from Orlando.

As for the ships they are ultimately a toss up. Both are spectacular. Though the Allure as of now is TECHNICALLY the largest in the world.

To me, the route is somewhat of a non-factor, because I look at the Allure as a destination in and of itself.

Nope. Now that Harmony has set sail, SHE is the largest cruise ship in the world.

Nope. Now that Harmony has set sail, SHE is the largest cruise ship in the world.

Oh I didn't realize she had set sail. What gorgeous ships these are...

How much bigger is the harmony? And I've heard the harmony is receiving a twin as well...

My preference would be the one that stops in San Juan. Also, Nassau is low on my list of stops.

You can't go wrong with either cruise. You will probably fall in love with cruising so you can go on the next cruise to the places you did not see this time. My personal opinion is that St.Thomas is my favorite port and Labadee is so much more fun than Nassau. We don't even get off the ship in Nassau.

would you also consider Harmony. She will be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale at that time next year

St. Thomas and St. Maarten are big shopping ports, so if you like to shop, those two ports would appeal to you. If you like lounging on the beach all day then the itinerary that takes you to Labadee should be of interest. As the other posters have mentioned, the ships are pretty much identical so it will be the ports that make all the difference. I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral, so I will be doing that itinerary next May on the Oasis going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau. I'll probably stay on the ship in Nassau as it doesn't really appeal to me.

You will enjoy it whichever you decide to choose.

Edited by goncruzn

St. Thomas and St. Maarten are big shopping ports, so if you like to shop, those two ports would appeal to you. If you like lounging on the beach all day then the itinerary that takes you to Labadee should be of interest. As the other posters have mentioned, the ships are pretty much identical so it will be the ports that make all the difference. I've never sailed out of Port Canaveral, so I will be doing that itinerary next May on the Oasis going to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Nassau. I'll probably stay on the ship in Nassau as it doesn't really appeal to me.

You will enjoy it whichever you decide to choose.

St. Maarten and St. Thomas have GORGEOUS beaches; many to choose from.

would you also consider Harmony. She will be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale at that time next year

I saw that and the only date that'll work is the 27th but we've been to Cozumel and that's why we decided to go with Eastern Caribbean

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This upcoming August we booked the Eastern on Allure, have not done it in 6 sailings.

This sailing Labadee is on the ports of call.

Excited and cannot wait for a change from the western of Jamaica and Cozumel.

Safe travels.

It really depends on what you like to do and what is most important to you. The ships are pretty similar (and spectacular, I might add).

As far as shows go, Allure gets the nod from me. Cats was not very good. We only made it through half an hour or so of it. Can't wait to see Mamma Mia in June. Don't miss the Aqua Theater show.

The departure ports are a huge difference. Fort Lauderdale is definitely the better way to go. It's a short trip from the airport (which also makes for much cheaper transportation). We always fly in the night before and stay in an airport/port hotel with a free shuttle to the port. And, the terminal is really nice.

If the ports you visit are really important to you, you need to decide what you really want to do and go from there. If you are beach people (which we are) then in my humble opinion you cannot beat Labadee. It is our very favorite port! We also like St. Thomas, but that's mainly because we are in love with St. John which is only a quick ferry ride away. Trunk Bay is gorgeous! Nassau is one of our least favorites. It's usually very crowded because of the number of ships it can have in port in a single day. You can actually check the ships that will be in port on a particular date, but I can't remember the website. It would be easy to find. But if you are beach people and you are there for a full day, Blue Lagoon Island is pretty nice (if it's not terribly crowded). We will be in Nassau in June for about half a day, so we may not even get off the ship this time. San Juan is fine. If you like historical sites, their fort is pretty neat. And, I don't have a great opinion about St. Maarten. When we visited there a few years ago we took an excursion that we didn't enjoy, so we aren't very good ones to ask. One day we need to give it another shot.

Not sure if that helps! Have a great time. You really can't go wrong either way. I'd be happy on either itinerary! It's the Caribbean!

Technically she hasn't set sail as a cruise ship yet has she? When is/has Royal take possession?

It really depends on what you like to do and what is most important to you. The ships are pretty similar (and spectacular, I might add).

As far as shows go, Allure gets the nod from me. Cats was not very good. We only made it through half an hour or so of it. Can't wait to see Mamma Mia in June. Don't miss the Aqua Theater show.

The departure ports are a huge difference. Fort Lauderdale is definitely the better way to go. It's a short trip from the airport (which also makes for much cheaper transportation). We always fly in the night before and stay in an airport/port hotel with a free shuttle to the port. And, the terminal is really nice.

If the ports you visit are really important to you, you need to decide what you really want to do and go from there. If you are beach people (which we are) then in my humble opinion you cannot beat Labadee. It is our very favorite port! We also like St. Thomas, but that's mainly because we are in love with St. John which is only a quick ferry ride away. Trunk Bay is gorgeous! Nassau is one of our least favorites. It's usually very crowded because of the number of ships it can have in port in a single day. You can actually check the ships that will be in port on a particular date, but I can't remember the website. It would be easy to find. But if you are beach people and you are there for a full day, Blue Lagoon Island is pretty nice (if it's not terribly crowded). We will be in Nassau in June for about half a day, so we may not even get off the ship this time. San Juan is fine. If you like historical sites, their fort is pretty neat. And, I don't have a great opinion about St. Maarten. When we visited there a few years ago we took an excursion that we didn't enjoy, so we aren't very good ones to ask. One day we need to give it another shot.

Not sure if that helps! Have a great time. You really can't go wrong either way. I'd be happy on either itinerary! It's the Caribbean!

I would love for my daughter to swim with the dolphins and be able to Jet Ski. Having trouble finding Jet skiing at any of these ports :(

Allure for 3. reasons and this is coming from a person that flew out of buffalo in January to go on Oasis.

1. I prefer a 10 minute ride to the airport vs. hour long and the cost adds up with 5 people in your party.

2. CATS!!!! Hated it.

3. Nassau is counted as another sea day for us an as for Jetski, well when you dock in Labadee you will be excited :-)

FYI Jetblue flies direct to FLL to and had better prices prices SW.

Happy Cruising

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone has a different opinion on ports. Mine is:

We love St. Thomas and St. Martin....but hate Nassau

We love Labadee...St. Martin.....but not crazy about San Juan

So for me, it would be a wash. :):)

I would agree with that.