Live from the Westerdam-Join the "Pearls of the Pacific" gang's South Pacific Cruise

kazu

Thanks to all, for their contributions to this live thread. I am taking this one next March on the Maasdam and appreciate the reviews you have done. One question, was there any talk of the Zika virus there or the chances of it making it there? Also interested in the Dengue fever shot, posted above. I am sorry that your weather was so abnormal, but sounds like you all made the best of it.

Dengue fever answered above. Like Zika, best protection is good insect repellant. Our guides seemed more concerned with Dengue than Zika (probably because one of them had had Dengue Fever) and did not comment on Zika much.

I just realized we didn't get our tiles.

Dam, Judy. Hopefully you can get them from the mariner's society.

A big thank you to everyone who shared their Pacific peregrination with all of us at home. We were fortunate to briefly enjoy 4 days aboard the Westerdam from San Diego to Vancouver and we truly enjoyed meeting some of you on board.

A special thanks goes out to Kazu and friends for making my shipmate's surprise party such a success. She (& I) had so much fun and you all made it very special for her.

May we all meet again on the high seas!

Sphynxie

Thank YOU for being kind enough to invite and host us in your PS.

I am so glad she enjoyed the surprise :)

Agree with the others that I had a wonderful time despite the weather, internet and those darn artichokes! It was great to meet up with friends from a previous cruise as well as making new friends.

I am home and only have one load of wash left and half a suitcase of stuff to unpack. This real life stuff is a drag! Counting the days until my next cruise.

I did get some money back on the internet package after complaining.

Sorry, I missed this question. Called away unexpectedly due to a very sad death in the family.

To answer your questions - there were no visas required for us (Canadian)nor for our American friends.

Currently,there is no shot for Dengue Fever. The best protection is insect repellant. Our guides warned us it was there and to put it on if it wasn't already.

Internet - best reception is early morning (really early) or late at night BUT if there is not satellite reception, that advice doesn't help. Internet on most of the island's is iffy at best so this is one time you do need the ship's Internet to work.

Of course you can compose anything off line and save it and then copy and paste when it is working. Our experience with this Internet was a shock after the previous year's wonderful reception on the same ship so, hopefully it will be corrected soon.

Thank you Jacqui, I appreciate your reply, no hurries, we're not leaving for months:). Sorry to hear of your loss. We've had some recent losses also and it makes us more aware to enjoy every day, no matter where we are!

I will get fresh insect repellent, maybe the pump spray kind to get as good coverage as the aerosol type which I don't like to fly with, and maybe some foil packs of towelettes.

The internet will be what it will be <sigh> and we will try to do as you suggest, early or late, and not count on WiFi ashore. If we stay onboard in some ports that often is the best connection, many times it's better than the cafes on shore, although still more expensive. Oh well.

Again, thank you for fun the live thread and all the beautiful photos! Good continued healing! Blessings, m--

Edited by RMLincoln