Digital Newbie - Heeds Help

mek

Just bought my first digital camera. Somewhere,(perhaps the Princess web site????)I was reading about the digital services offered on the ships. I'm going on the Grand in June on a Baltic cruise and plan to take tons of photos, but would like to not invest in multiple memory cards if I can help it. It looks like I can have a CD burned with my photos for around $20. Has anyone done this? I would like to do this daily, but I'm not sure if the charge is a one time only charge, or if I can keep adding photos each day. I've never paid any attention to the digital services offered before this cruise because I've only had a film camera. I don't want to bring my own laptop, so that's not an option. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

It is per CD.. I wouldn't do that daily, you can bring your interface cord plug into tv and edit/delete the ones you don't like, reducing the number you have to burn.

One open Princess booking

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

The cost of memory cards is very reasonable right now. I would highly recommend that you purchase at least a 128 MB (if not 256 MB) card. Check online and on eBay. I know a 256 MB Sony memory stick can be purchased for $60-70, and that will hold many, many photos.

They do burn CDs on board. What they do is load your pictures into their computer then burn them all at once onto a CD toward the end of your cruise.

During the discussion, I remember someone mentioning that the ship lost their photos and/or their memory card. That wouldn't happen often, but just a heads-up that it HAS happened before.

You will be delighted with your digital. It's so nice to be able to shoot away and not have to worry about the expense of printing them all once you return home. Plus, you know right then and there if you have the picture just like you want it.

'Vegas Jim

I would strongly suggest getting at least one extra memory card, just in case something unexpected happens to your original. Also make sure you have several sets of batteries and a recharger. You will be amazed at how fast you use up the charge in a set of batteries. You can save battery power by turning off your LCD and doing your focusing through the viewfinder.

I lost almost a full day of pictures when my first set of batteries died and when I was trying to load my second set I dropped one of them off the dock into the ocean. Now I always take at least 3 sets of batteries when we go ashore.

Depending on what type memory card your camera uses you can find deals both in local stores as well as on the Internet. I picked up a 256 MB Compact Flash card on sell at Staples for $39 after sale price and rebates.

We have a Nikon, we got in 2000 and a Minolta we got last year and love both of them. Our 35mm sit home now and don't get used at all.

Welcome to the digit world.

As far as your original question, I had been told when we were on a cruise recently they would download my card daily and cut a CD when there were enough pictures to fill one. We didn't do it because we had my laptop with us and downloaded the pictures daily but you might check to see if they offer this service for a higher cost.

Have a great next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Check memory prices HERE You didn't say what type your new camera takes, but a common type, compact flash, was $35 with free shipping for a 256meg card. I wouldn't buy anything smaller than that.

Don't forget that rechargeable batteries are BEST for digital. I recommend www.thomasdistributing.com for some high capacity NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Finally, if you are in a Mini-suite, don't forget that the plugs behind the TV's are accessible so you aren't stuck with just the one on the desk.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

Very good advice from everyone here. I would only add a few things... Read your manual for your camera. If you change your settings from FINE or STANDARD and if you also change the size of the photos, you can get more or less photos. Each camera is different, so I cant really be more specific than that. I just know that my 128MB stick got me over 700 photos on a FINE setting with a smaller photo size.

Also, I brought a small extension cord that has an attachment at the end to plug in 3 plugs. I was able to recharge my camera battery each night and still have the electric toothbrush plugged in! I found this extension helpfull because the plug is one of those big square jobs, that cover the other socket in the outlet, so by using the extension you can still plug something else in. (alarm clock, whatever)

Have fun and don't forget to post your hundreds of photos when you get back.... I did!

Janelle

check out my photos from Diamond Princess/Mexican Riviera trip 4-2004

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/janelandbob

check out my review from Diamond Princess 4-10 thru 4-17,2004

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=494100541&f=887097554

Srphnx: I am also new to the digital scene. What is an interface cord? Does it come with every digital camera? What does it look like? where do you plug it into the ship's tv in your room and can you see the pictures you took? THanks for your help. Going on Baltic cruise 5-19. Any tips when going into churches or dimly lite areas. I have a kodak ditigal

Archived