Princess compared to Carnival going to Alaska?

jtdlmc

Considering Princess for an Alaskan cruise as Carnival doesn't have the exact itinerary we are looking for. We just got off an RCI cruise and found we really didn't like it as much as Carnival. The fun-factor ambiance just wasn't there and the people just didn't seem as friendly/upbeat as on Carnival (staff included). I guess Princess is a little more, not sure of the word to use so I will use "stuffier" then Carnival and RCI, but is there a huge difference with an Alaskan itinerary? Since there are so few per year, I would think it would be a mix of demographics? We aren't hard-core partiers but we do like friendly people. I guess what it comes down to, and I know this is very subjective, but will someone who loves Carnival and the atmosphere on Carnival ships, like Princess?

When it comes to Alaska the number one priority should be the itinerary.

Yes, Princess will be far lower key then either RCI or Carnival.

Keith

Most of my cruises have been on Carnival, but for Alaska we chose Princess. Their itinerary was far superior to Carnival's. Princess and Holland America have most of the access to Glacier Bay NP, and that was the highlight of the cruise. The ship is not nearly as important as the scenery and itinerary.

Cruising Alaska is not like cruising the Caribbean. The emphasis is on scenery and excursions, and with the long summer days in AK, you are always busy. The ship is there for you to crash and recharge, so the nightlife, pools, and "vibe" are not as important.

Alaska cruises are Early to bed, Early to Rise.

I'd chose HAL over Princess for two reasons. HAL opens its bow to pax while glacier viewing. HAL has free hot chocolate. On Princess you have to pay or bring your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

HAL opens its bow to pax while glacier viewing.

Hi Sadie

Do you know...are there any lower decks on the Legend that would give similar views or is it just on the upper decks?

Thanks

Considering Princess for an Alaskan cruise as Carnival doesn't have the exact itinerary we are looking for. We just got off an RCI cruise and found we really didn't like it as much as Carnival. The fun-factor ambiance just wasn't there and the people just didn't seem as friendly/upbeat as on Carnival (staff included). I guess Princess is a little more, not sure of the word to use so I will use "stuffier" then Carnival and RCI, but is there a huge difference with an Alaskan itinerary? Since there are so few per year, I would think it would be a mix of demographics? We aren't hard-core partiers but we do like friendly people. I guess what it comes down to, and I know this is very subjective, but will someone who loves Carnival and the atmosphere on Carnival ships, like Princess?

We made the move to Princess and prefer the words, seasoned cruiser, experienced, cultured. It's a different hard core partier. The elder statespeople seem to dance all night and are what I call professional cocktail folks. We had a nice conversation one trip with a gentlemen who always had his water bottle/insulated container with him at all times. Eventually it came out that it had Gin in it. Great guy, not sure how he maintained. It's a more subdued good time. We migrated because we had had enough constant announcements for Bingo or whatever sales tactic was happening. We can do without the "frenzy". Carnival has gone to the in your face world of today. We prefer the graceful glide of years gone by. But that's why there are multiple cruise lines.

But to answer your question, Princess has a stellar Alaskan Program with onboard lectures and naturalists. It's on our bucket list after the Panama Canal.

Edited by golfb4cruzing

We have done both lines to Alaska and are going this August on the Carnival Legend. Both have their positives but they compare favorably on things such as on board Naturalists to narrate the voyage and time spent in the fjords and near the glaciers. Princess goes to Glacier Bay and Carnival doesn't so if that is your goal the choice is clear. OBTW the Tracy Arm fjord and Sawyer Glacier are spectacular. I have heard this fjord compared to the beauty of Norway but I have not been there so don't have 1st hand knowledge.

What ever your choice---Enjoy.

Twice a year, once in May, once in September, Carnival offers an itinerary that contains BOTH Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay. Did the May 2015 on Legend and I highly recommend.

I would like this itinerary.:)

Alaska cruises are Early to bed, Early to Rise.

I'd chose HAL over Princess for two reasons. HAL opens its bow to pax while glacier viewing. HAL has free hot chocolate. On Princess you have to pay or bring your own.

The Princess ships in Alaska do have the full promenade that go to the tip of the bow though, so you do get largely a similar vantage point.

Alaska; choose the best itinerary and then the ship/line are secondary.

I do hear many good things about HAL and Princess overall as being the top choices for Alaska due to itineraries.

Twice a year, once in May, once in September, Carnival offers an itinerary that contains BOTH Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Bay. Did the May 2015 on Legend and I highly recommend.

This itinerary would be awesome. Since my original post I have been looking at HAL as they have the same itinerary RT from Vancouver which is a requirement for us (prime opportunity to visit family in Vancouver whom we very seldom see). I don't see this itinerary on Carnival's website for 2017, where does it originate and end?

I don't see this itinerary on Carnival's website for 2017, where does it originate and end?

Carnival's itineraries to Glacier Bay are usually scheduled at the beginning or end of the season. The first cruise of the season (May) will normally begin in Vancouver and end in Seattle. The last cruise of the season (September) will normally begin in Seattle and end in Vancouver. I looked at 2017 and I only see one cruise going to Glacier Bay (but no Tracy Arm) in September.

About HAL and Princess vs Carnival: I had the pleasure of sailing both Princess and Holland after many, many, many cruises on Carnival. It's a completely different vibe. If you're sailing to Alaska, you need to get in that state of mind. Passengers sailing to Alaska are, in general, not the "hairy chest contest / bartending competition / Senor Frog's loving" kinda crowd. Based on my experience, you will find a vast demographic, but expect many cruisers who are more traveled. Call them "stuffy" if you wish, but I had a fantastic experience meeting people from various places and listening to their (far more interesting than mine) travel stories. On Princess, one night we were seated at a table for 8 with a couple from Australia on a 3 week honeymoon that included stops in Hawaii, San Francisco, Las Vegas, as well as a second cruise in the South Pacific. We also met 2 friends who had already sailed multiple times that year and were gearing up to fly to Venice to sail the transatlantic aboard the (then) brand new Regal Princess. And we also met a retired, globe trotting couple from Canada who had literally traveled around the world.

Yes, its nice to kick back with a beer in hand and let the brain take some time off, but Alaska is a fascinating destination that attracts a different kind of traveler more interested in discovering out of the ordinary destinations, so expect a different crowd, no matter which cruise line you choose.

We have traveled a majority of our cruises on CCL, but did choose Princess for our Alaska land/cruise vacation. Princess came highly recommended by many seasoned cruisers, and it was an awesome choice that we were happy we made. From the Naturalists on board, to the Naturalists on land plus the incredible itinerary, it couldn't be beat!! With that being said, any cruise to Alaska will be a life time memory! :)