Grand Cayman

baggr42

Captain Bryan's is excellent. Inexpensive, wonderful watercraft (ours was a huge catamaran), they give you personalized attention, with stingrays or with snorkeling.

Just the best. We felt sorry for those who booked ship excursions because they were just kind of lost in the water, no one was paying attention to them as there were just too many of them.

Hey baggr42, you might also want to check the Grand Cayman forum on the cruise critic message board. I think you are wise to look for alternates to the ship's excursion.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

I am sure that the shore excursions by others are good and personalized. Just keep in mind that if for some reason your ship is late, you can loose your excursion and money. We were late to Grand Cayman because of a passenger becoming very ill and the golfers lost Tee Time and money. Others were scrambling to get off the ship to make their excursions, but the tenders went to those who had Princess excursions set up first. I did the $49 see the fish from below deck (the lower part of the boat is submersed). Enjoyable enough for me, and there was also a half hour of snorkeling. Would I recommend it highly - no, but it was ok and they fed the fish and were in the water with us. My DH took the bike/snorkeling excursion and found it very good. And then you have to keep in mind, the ship waits only for those who have booked thru Princess and not others. Just a heads up.......

Grand Princess 4/4/04

GC is one of the best places in the world to snorkle and if you haven't done Stingray City - it's a must... a National Geographic and everyother publication must...

GC is very sophisticated without rip offs. Captain Marvins, Nativeways, and Soto's are all excellent and convenient outfitters that beat the ship excursians in price, intimacy, and overall quality (find 'em online; personally I can vouche for C. Marvins - but the others have their loyalists). They all do Stingray City in conjunction with other first class snorkle sites.

I'd recommend you check out Soto's Cruises (http://www.sotoscruises.com/)

It was ALOT cheaper than the cruise line offered ($24 vs $89) and included an addition stop, FAR less people, etc.

Others here have used them, you might ask around more.

Caribbean Princess - 4/17/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;4;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

If your family are experienced snorkelers I would recommend Eden Rock. Take the tender to town, turn right and walk towards the Hard Rock Cafe, soon after that there is a dive shop across the street. If you have your own eqipment plop it on a table and start snorkeling. They offer equipment and locker rentals inside dive shop. The best part is the snorkeling is free.

Carnival Ecstasy 1999

Norwegian Sea 2001

Norwegian Sun 2001

Norwegian Dawn 2003

Norwegian Dream 2004

Carribean Princess Sept. 2004

Hey, no fair. I wanted to tell about Eden Rock. This is truly fantastic. There are steps right into the water and it's like walking into a fish tank. That many fish. The people in the Eden Rock dive shop are very friendly and will tell you about other sites. There are a few wrecks you can snorkel to which are left of the tender docks.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

sorry cruise pup. DH and I are cruising in Sept and GC is one of our stops. We are hoping to schedule scuba dives with them. I'm getting excited way too early but I Can't Wait!!

Carnival Ecstasy 1999

Norwegian Sea 2001

Norwegian Sun 2001

Norwegian Dawn 2003

Norwegian Dream 2004

Carribean Princess Sept. 2004

Well, here's a helpful map:

http://www.edenrockdive.com/images/GTown.gif

this website also gives info about Eden Rock.

Also, after a long search, I finally found (again) this excellent website that describes the various snorkel/dive sites. The ones near Georgetown are what you are looking for. I remember hearing about Cheeseburger Reef. I think it's opposite a Burger King:

http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm#GTCali

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

[This message was edited by cruise pup on 05-05-04 at 05:33 PM.]

WOW! So glad others like snorkeling a Eden Rock as much as we do. Actually, we use it as a Plan B since only God knows if they'll be doing excursions or if you'll even get to tender in GC! icon_rolleyes.gif

Below is a review in the ports of call section under Cayman Islands:

EDEN ROCK - Snorkeling Abanks Dive/Paradise Patio Bar (click here)

Happy Sailing! icon_cool.gif

Tell me more about snorkeling off shore at edens rock....how far away is cheeseburger reef from the pier. We are coming in on the grand...would there be time to go to sting ray alley and then go to edens rock? if i could only choose one, which one would you choose for me? i love to see lots of colorful fish!!!

Wendy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;11;27;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600 until we sail the Grand!!!

Elation - 12/28/03

Celebration - 12/21/02

wendya2J you are in serious need of a discover scuba experience. Snorkeling is so limited compared to scuba diving. I have the photos to prove it. There is even discover scuba at Stingray city. It is at the deeper dive area, not at the sand bar where all the snorkelers go so I think it would be less crowded. You can kneel on the sandy bottom and watch the stingrays and feed them. As for the pretty fish, you can do a discover scuba at either Abanks divers for $75 or at Eden rock diving price probably the same. The Eden rock diving web site also has some good maps.

<font color="FF6600">

Cayman's best kept secret for private snorkeling is . . . behind the cemetry on 7 mile beach. All the cabbie's know where this is . . .

Each time we were there we had the entire beach to ourselves. You have to have your own equipment though & there are no bathrooms, chairs etc. just you & paradise!

Only about 400 ft out is an awesome coral reef w/ beautiful fish. We even saw our own singray in 3 feet of water.

Breathe taking . . .

Laurie

We used Captain Marvins. They also arranged a trip with another company to take us to Hell and the Turtle farm. We were picked up at Captain Marvins (a block or so from the dock)where we had a tour. The bus then dropped us off at the dock for the 10:30 snorkel trip to stingray city and another stop at the reef. It was great. Got back at 1:30 and had time to eat lunch and shop.

12/04 Coral Princess

4/09 Monarch of the Seas

6/03 Carnival Conquest

3/03 4/02 Carnival Ectasy

8/02 Radisson: Paul Gaugin

8/01 Rhapsody of the Seas

6/00 Carnival Fascination

Ya want to know more about shore dive/snorkel site?

Check out shorediving.com for reviews and directions to lots of sites on the Cayman Islands (mostly Grand Cayman)

<font color="FF6600">

Wow, thanks for all of the info!! I am a little interested in discover scuba as my DH has done it twice with eagle ray divers in Cozumel and loves it!!!

Wendy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;11;27;4;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600 until we sail the Grand!!!

Elation - 12/28/03

Celebration - 12/21/02

Archived