FOS Seems to be Rocking

I have no idea if this is how it usually is when you're out to sea - but this morning I'm feeling a very gentle rocking motion from side to side. Rock a Bye Baby is what comes to mind.

We are mid ship (deck 8 - right in the middle) and don't recall this sensation on Sunday or Monday.

Is this how it generally feels when you're cruising? (Not complaining. Just curious.)

I have no idea if this is how it usually is when you're out to sea - but this morning I'm feeling a very gentle rocking motion from side to side. Rock a Bye Baby is what comes to mind.

We are mid ship (deck 8 - right in the middle) and don't recall this sensation on Sunday or Monday.

Is this how it generally feels when you're cruising? (Not complaining. Just curious.)

Totally depends on sea conditions. Sometimes it is smooth sailing and sometimes it is rocking and rolling. Usually somewhere in between.

As rediculous as it sounds, the sea changes an on a minute by minute basis and how much the ship rocks depends on wind speed, swells and wave height.

Although the ships are large, at the end of the day they are still at the mercy of the ocean and will never be 100% stable

I would not be concerned until the stateroom TV comes flying off the mount.

If the captain has a mornining briefing, see if he mentions the size of the waves. If he says 6-10ft seas, this is normal for Freedom.

Freedom rocked continuously last month on our eastern Caribbean cruise. It was annoying and trying to walk in a straight line difficult. Strangely, we just finished an eastern Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Silhouette and it barely rocked at all Both times the seas were choppy.,

On Freedom they will cancel the ice skating show if the ship rocks too much. If the show went on I guess the rocking wasn't as bad as it felt. Wonder what happened to the stabilizers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here's where I need to put my translator hat on to translate from "cruiser" lingo to "mariner" lingo.

To me, what the OP is referring to is "rolling", the nice smooth "rock a bye" or "porch swing" motion. This is generally caused by long sea swells coming at the ship from broadside. Frequently, the motion is so slow that the stabilizers, if out, cannot react slowly enough, and become ineffective.

"Rocking" is the more violent, jerky motion caused by the ship striking seas (waves) at a slight angle, and the bow gets thrown to one side or the other, and the ship tilts over as it travels up the face of the sea. This can be minimized with stabilizers (provided the ship's speed is sufficient) and the course steered in relation to the wave direction.

So, to me, "rocking" and "rolling" are two different phenomenons.

And to answer the OP's question, yes, it can be a normal experience, and one that I find to be pleasant.

... Frequently, the motion is so slow that the stabilizers, if out, cannot react slowly enough, and become ineffective....

Always figured there was some upper roll rate limit on stabilizer effectiveness, but never knew that there was a lower limit.

Always figured there was some upper roll rate limit on stabilizer effectiveness, but never knew that there was a lower limit.

They use an accelerometer and then try to move the stabilizer to create opposite force out of synch with the hull motion, so when the rolling is slow, it kind of just hangs there real undecided as to which way and when to move. At these slow roll rates, the stabs can actually get into harmonics with the hull motion and make the rolling worse. They are a nice invention for cruise ships, but as you know, they don't make the ship rock steady in any conditions.

Here's where I need to put my translator hat on to translate from "cruiser" lingo to "mariner" lingo.

To me, what the OP is referring to is "rolling", the nice smooth "rock a bye" or "porch swing" motion. This is generally caused by long sea swells coming at the ship from broadside...

And to answer the OP's question, yes, it can be a normal experience, and one that I find to be pleasant.

Exactly the sensation that I was attempting to describe. Didn't feel it on Sunday evening or yesterday morning that I can recall.

And I too find the motion to be pleasant with little or no side effects. But I will say that if one has used the alcohol package, one may find walking in a straight line a tiny bit more difficult.

Not that I would know...[emoji8][emoji14]

On Freedom they will cancel the ice skating show if the ship rocks too much. If the show went on I guess the rocking wasn't as bad as it felt.

Today is an ice show day and we've heard anything about cancellations.

Guess I'm just a sensitive kind of person. [emoji4]

When we did the bridge tour in March, I asked the 2nd officer who was giving the tour about this and he said that the addition of the deck12 cabins had changed the ship's center of gravity and that they had to make several adjustments in how they loaded the ship (fuel, supplies, ballast, etc.) to help dampen the increased roll, but that the roll of the ship was in fact more noticeable than it had been before the addition of the cabins.

Edited by orville99