Boston Guide

Does anyone have a guide to recommend? We would like him/her to have a car to quickly tour us around. (We can also use a taxi and go from one spot to the next, but thought a guide would be nice to tell us the history, etc.)

We are visiting Boston in July 2016.

Thank you

Does anyone have a guide to recommend? We would like him/her to have a car to quickly tour us around. (We can also use a taxi and go from one spot to the next, but thought a guide would be nice to tell us the history, etc.)

We are visiting Boston in July 2016.

Thank you

What are you specifically interested in seeing? What exact date and day of the week will you be there in July?

Downtown Boston is a maze of one way streets that get clogged with traffic. If you want to get out and look at something, there may not be anyplace for the car to wait. That's why walking the Freedom Trail (NPS guides available) and using the Hoho buses with walking are so popular.

Understand. Just wanted to bypass some sights and see others quicker than Ho Ho does. We are there 2 days the 16th and 17th of July. Figured it was worth a shot that someone knew of a driving guide.

I'd check out Tripadvîsor. I took a casual glance and saw rates of $200/hour. If you can identify what you're interested in seeing, we can make suggestions.

I'm a local and I had a port day in Boston 2 years ago with someone who had never been there. We took a cab for $16 to the Constitution (she is not there now) and saw the museum and ship. We took the MBTA water taxi (think harbor cruise) to Long Wharf for $3.25 and walked through the Faneuil Hall area stopping at the NPS headquarters. Stopped at Dunkin Donuts, explored the Old Burying Ground and went to hang out in Boston Common where there was lots of activity. Took the Red Line and Silver Line back to the ship for $2.65. Nice relaxing day. We could have done more, but we didn't. It took about 4.5 hours.

Carol we will be arriving in Boston off our TA next year and how easy is it to get a cab back to Logan for a 12:38 flight or should we take the 3:15 flight back to Calif. The difference in cost between the two is $112 more to take an earlier flight and differant connecting City.

Gay

Carol we will be arriving in Boston off our TA next year and how easy is it to get a cab back to Logan for a 12:38 flight or should we take the 3:15 flight back to Calif. The difference in cost between the two is $112 more to take an earlier flight and differant connecting City.

Gay

Hi Gay,

You can make either flight easily. Cabs should be no issue on a Sat morning, but I might Google some cab company numbers just to have them.

When I did a similar TA in 2013, my husband picked me up at 9 am. You can see Logan Airport from Black Falcon Terminal - it's just across the harbor. No more than 10-15 minutes away. You're going to have a long wait for a 3:15 flight.

Carol i was looking at the earlier departure and liked the fact we got back to So Calif and home by 6 PM vs 8 Pm even if at todays prices it was $112 more. I was even more surprised at the low cost from BOS to Palm Springs 1 way for less then $400 total. Hopefully those prices are close when it is time to book. I did google the airport & Cruise Terminal and saw how close they were. Thank you. We are doing the Copenhagen to Boston TA next August 2017.

Gay

We took a cab for $16 to the Constitution (she is not there now)

USS Constitution is not at her usual berth in Charlestown; she's in the adjacent drydock for three years. But you can still visit, and even board the ship. Visitors are currently restricted to the weather deck, and the masts have been removed. You can also get a rare look at the hull below the waterline, which is being restored. The details of access will change as the restoration project progresses.

Constitution is still a US Navy ship, and access is still under US military regulations. Photo ID for all adults (>18 years), and all visitors must pass through a metal detector. The nearby Constitution Museum (not a military installation) is open as always.

Edited by Blue Mudshark