What's wrong with the coffee?????

CaribbeanCrazy

From all the comments I have read on this board I know the coffee on Princess ships for most people gets a thumbs down.

I'm not a coffee drinker...but DH is. What I was wondering is...What is so bad about it?

Like most things in life I'm sure that it is a matter of personal taste...as to whether coffee is good or not. For example...My DH and his family like the strong european type coffee. My family (the ones who drink coffee) like it fairly weak...so when my DH thinks the coffee is good somewhere...my parents can't even drink it...and vice versa.

So...What is the deal?? Too strong? Too weak?Cheap brand? Not hot enough? Something else?

I'm refering to the coffee in the Horizon Court and the main Diningrooms.

Thanks in advance for your input.icon_smile.gif

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

The coffee wasn't that bad, but I have had better. In the Horizon court, the coffee comes out of a tap at the beverage center, so they must make it in large volume and pump it to the cafe. Not sure of the brand

In the dining room, they did pour the coffee out of carafes and I'm not sure of the source of that. It seedmed to taste better in the dining room.

I too have seen a lot of complaints about the coffee. Personally, I found the coffee acceptable, although it certainly wouldn't win any prizes. Obviously, they have to have vast quantities of it, and I've read they use some type of pre-processed coffee syrup rather than actual beans. I think it's hot enough and strong enough, but the flavor obviously doesn't meet some people's expectations. I thought it was a lot like the coffee you would get at a Denny's, or a restaurant like that.

I thought it was quite drinkable, better in the dining room but that might have been the service part of it.

It's not like the Jamaican Blue we buy in Ocho Rios, freeze and savor every Sunday morning, but fine.

It's not Starbucks, but fine.

I've also heard of it being coffee syrup and that's not always a bad thing.

I DO drink a lot of coffee and have no problem with it BUT I've also read of others who bring small coffee makers along because the just don't like it.

You're right, its a preference thing I think

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I am from NY an used to having *good* coffee on a daily basis. We took a small coffee maker and some ground coffee with us just in case it was as awful as we heard it would be.

It was drinlable...but barely. Considering that they take the time to dress up roast chickens to look like a bluegrass band, you would think they might learn to make better coffee icon_smile.gif

We were glad we brought our coffee with us, but honestly, the rest of the cruise was so wonderful that it was easy to overlook the single downfall.

Thanks everyone for the low down on the coffee. icon_smile.gif DH will have to put up with what they have...because there is NOOOO Way I will be able to fit a coffee maker in our already way to full luggage. icon_eek.gif

Don't all the ships have a place you can buy a pretty decent cup of coffee? (In case he can't tolerate the free stuff.) icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Again

CaribbeanCrazy

tn_14.gif

One of the bars on the ship is usually set up to do espresso and specialty coffees. I'm one of those people who take their own coffeemaker. The Horizon Court stuff is never consistent, except that it almost, but not completely, unlike anything approaching real coffee. (IMO)

I don't mind the coffee served in the dining room, in fact I find it quite acceptable.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

Nothing wrong with the coffee that a shot of Bushmills can't cure icon_wink.gif.

doris

"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine"--Caskie Stinnett

Elation 10/20/02

Paradise 9/21/03

Star Princess 10/24/04

Well, Sue, it really must be a matter of personal taste. I thought the coffee in Horizon Court was a bit weak, but passable, nonetheless.

I guess we can all agree on the Bushmill's though. icon_biggrin.gif

To us, it doesn't even resemble coffee as we know it. Bitter and it tastes kind of like coffee that has been made in the morning and served 12 hours later after it has been boiled. YUCK!

You guessed it, we also take our own coffee maker. Makes mornings a whole lot nicer for us.

I have tried it everywhere on the ships, the Horizon Court, room service and in the dining room. It is all nasty IMHO!

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

My DH is a strickler for coffee and he said that the coffee is not that bad. I don't think it is either. Oh sure it is not gourmet coffee; if you want that most ships have a gourmet and expresso coffee bar. In my opinion, the coffee is fine.

Marilyn

We take a small coffee machine and make ours on the room. If you like

starbucks etc. you won't be happy with the coffe onboard. Just about the only thing we didn't like however!

Toto hit the nail on the head. The coffee , to me, was undrinkable. I am a coffee lover. I brought a Black and Decker Brew N Go Travel Coffee Maker. It was a life saver and took up no room in my luggage. I enjoyed my Gevalia every morning.

Suzanne

Oceanic '82

Oceanic '83

Century '01

Century '03

Millennium '03

Island Princess '04

Thanksgiving on the Millie '04

The coffee is prepared from a concentrate.

They don't brew it the way you do at home. It isn't make from coffee grounds.

It makes it easier to make huge batches of coffee for alot of people. It is similiar to coffee served at conventions in hotels.

Rich

If you like cream in your coffee start asking for heavy cream(not the milk they usually give you) It makes it a lot better. In the afternoon and evening I like to add a little Bailey's to mine.

Barbara

I now have 45 Cruises

Royal Princess 10/17/02

Regal Princess 03/09/03

Regal Princess 03/21/03

Regal Princess 04/08/03

Regal Princess 05/08/03

Regal Princess 05/20/03

Pacific Princess 08/25/03

Royal Princess 03/25/04

Royal Princess 04/06/04

Sapphire Princess 03/26/05

Sapphire Princess 04/11/05

I manage a coffee shop called Caribou Coffee in Columbus Ohio, and can tell you quite a few reasons why the coffee you drink onboard is not that good. The main reason though is exactly what Rich said. When thay prepare this it is a mix that they add to water, and heat. To make really good coffee you have to have fresh beans, a good coffee maker, and excellent water.

-Doug

Yup, I'd agreed that the coffee in Horizon Court tasted old. But the coffee in the dining room was smooth as silk....and I had the decaf! I asked that waiter why the coffee was so different, and he said they have different machines for upstairs and downstairs.

To me coffee is one of the four food groups and bad coffee is better than no coffee! icon_biggrin.gif I already know that I will pack way too much to even consider a coffee maker, so I guess I will take my chances or bring some Baileys! icon_biggrin.gif

Judy

Cruisin in July on the Golden Princess

Archived