Gratuities info please

twinaxell

You could if you would like. I find it much easier to just prepay and let Carnival work it all out. It seems to me that it would be more expensive to tip as you go... especially if you have your time dining. You would have to tip 3 waiters each night then you'd have to tip your cabin steward and assistant steward. You'd also have to track down the people in the buffet, etc... They charge your account $12 per person/ per day and you don't have to think twice about it! It wouldn't take long to reach that $12/day tipping as you go.

I always prepay the gratuity when I book my cruise, then I always tip my room steward extra. I also usually carry around a pocket full of $1's to tip waiters when they are friendly.

Thank you for the info . would it be acceptable to opt out and ask for envolopes to enable me to tip staff personally thannks again

The tips are split between multiple persons in each of several categories. Even with your best efforts, you would probably not have contact with every person.

It has been reliably reported the crew know who has removed their tips, so do you want those who are serving you possibly thinking you are not tipping ?

Most here recommend if you want to tip in addition to sign & sail tips, that is a better choice than the crew possibly believing you are not tipping.

Of course, always your choice.

Hi first time cruising with carnival, can anyone give me information on the options for paying gratuities on board please . thanks in advance:

If you are sailing Carnival Australia the tips are included in your cruise fare because it is not the culture in the U.K. to tip at all.

Thank you for the info . would it be acceptable to opt out and ask for envolopes to enable me to tip staff personally thannks again

Yes, it would be acceptable to do that if it is how you want to tip. If you would rather leave the gratuities in place then do that. Your choice.

The tips are split between multiple persons in each of several categories. Even with your best efforts, you would probably not have contact with every person.

It has been reliably reported the crew know who has removed their tips, so do you want those who are serving you possibly thinking you are not tipping ?

Most here recommend if you want to tip in addition to sign & sail tips, that is a better choice than the crew possibly believing you are not tipping.

Of course, always your choice.

Here come the scare mongers.

I have also heard that the mafia will rough up workers they think aren't getting enough tips.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Here come the scare mongers.

I have also heard that the mafia will rough up workers they think aren't getting enough tips.

LOL,,,good one!:D

You could if you would like. I find it much easier to just prepay and let Carnival work it all out. It seems to me that it would be more expensive to tip as you go... especially if you have your time dining. You would have to tip 3 waiters each night then you'd have to tip your cabin steward and assistant steward. You'd also have to track down the people in the buffet, etc... They charge your account $12 per person/ per day and you don't have to think twice about it! It wouldn't take long to reach that $12/day tipping as you go.

Adding on......

Think of the gratuities as a service charge it resort fee. Paying it ahead or charging to your account is the easiest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is absolutely acceptable. Guest Services used to keep envelopes just for that reason, but it's been several years since I've seen one on board. You may want to bring some small ones specifically for this.

Have a great cruise!

I really did read that on here.

Oh, I don't doubt that. All of those who vilify and shame those who remove or reduce tips and choose to tip the way they want.

What's the difference between canoes and Canadians? Canoes tip :)

Yup.. because we actual pay restaurant staff a minimum wage, no different than any other minimum wage job.

I do tip...just as I want and who I want and how much I want.. not who Carnival or other passengers tell me too!

Yup.. because we actual pay restaurant staff a minimum wage, no different than any other minimum wage job.

I do tip...just as I want and who I want and how much I want.. not who Carnival or other passengers tell me too!

Now where is the like button!😊😊😊

Therein is the difference between there and here: here in the states persons working for tips are not paid a wage designed for them to live on and make less than the minimum wage. They depend on tips to earn a livable wage unlike in Canada. We have a two tiered system of wages: one for non-tipped and one for tipped. Did you know this? Here there is a very BIG difference in wages and the crew on ships have it worse earning room,board and about $50 per month. Do what you want lady, I'm here to share the facts, not change your opinion.

Therein is the difference between there and here: here in the states persons working for tips are not paid a wage designed for them to live on and make less than the minimum wage. They depend on tips to earn a livable wage unlike in Canada. We have a two tiered system of wages: one for non-tipped and one for tipped. Did you know this? Here there is a very BIG difference in wages and the crew on ships have it worse earning room,board and about $50 per month. Do what you want lady, I'm here to share the facts, not change your opinion.

Right now the minimum wage is around $10/hr. For tipped servers it's around $2.50. Their taxes are based on 15% of the table checks.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just how it is.

It's a case of 'When in Rome..' In Rome they add a service charge. :)

Right now the minimum wage is around $10/hr. For tipped servers it's around $2.50. Their taxes are based on 15% of the table checks.

Not saying it's right or wrong, just how it is.

It's a case of 'When in Rome..' In Rome they add a service charge. :)

Not really.

http://taxation.lawyers.com/income-tax/taxes-when-most-of-your-salary-comes-from-tips.html

It is absolutely acceptable. Guest Services used to keep envelopes just for that reason, but it's been several years since I've seen one on board. You may want to bring some small ones specifically for this.

Have a great cruise!

The envelopes are still available from guest services. You can either just take them from racks in the counter or ask for them.

We prepaid our gratuities and then tipped extra to our cabin steward, our direct MDR wait staff, and a particular waitress in the lido buffet who took great care of my kids.

I absolutely did know that. People also have a choice where they work, lady, including those on cruise ships. People claim frequently that they know what employees on ships make or do not make and how much their wage depends on tips. Most probably have no clue what their wage/salary actually is. People in general don't usually discuss their income.

You are entitled to tip the way you see fit, as am I.

Edited by nissach