Breakaway: Bermuda new transport policy with first Bermuda sailing

Charles4515

If you are going to Bermuda this year on Breakaway be aware that you will be paying more and have less flexibiity using the local transport this year. They plan to sell only One Day Transportation Passes, no tokens or two or three day passes for the ferrys and buses. Their intention is to force cruise passengers to use expensive taxis and other private services. One of the reasons I have booked Bermuda cruises is the convienient transportation system. If they the persist in this unfriendly policy of not selling two and three day passes at the Dockyard I won't be booking any more cruises to Royal Naval Dockyard. I suggest that if you have Bermuda booked bring some rolls of quarters as paying exact change will be a way not to be forced to buy a seperate $19 one day pass for each day or use to use taxis.

In the article below they mention they are testing the policy on the Breakaway's first sailing.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/art...ansport-policy

Edited by Charles4515

Interesting. It sounds like they're only limiting it to day passes at the Dockyard, and that you should still be able to buy multi-day passes in Hamilton and other points of sale.

I'll keep my eyes open, but it may be worth paying fare on the bus once to head to another point of sale to get the multi-day pass.

Thanks for the info, BTW. This particular trip will be (A) my first cruise, and (B) my first time to Bermuda, so I'm loading up on the research ahead of time. This is a good thing to keep in mind...

Are "tokens" considered "transportation passes?" I see the latter being limited to one-day passes, but didn't see tokens expressly referenced.

I sure hope they're not discontinuing the tokens at the Information Centre; I'd rather not have to bring rolls of quarters everywhere.

Are "tokens" considered "transportation passes?" I see the latter being limited to one-day passes, but didn't see tokens expressly referenced.

I sure hope they're not discontinuing the tokens at the Information Centre; I'd rather not have to bring rolls of quarters everywhere.

They are discontinuing tokens at the Dockyard Visiter Information Centers. They will only sell the one day pass.

They are discontinuing tokens at the Dockyard Visiter Information Centers. They will only sell the one day pass.

Yeah, I just went to the Bermuda board and saw that. The Pass is less than ideal for us as we're probably only taking 5 trips over 2 days (staying at the Dockyard on day 3). Not a huge added cost ($38 vs. $22.50) but a pain nonetheless.

According to this web site, a 1-day pass costs $19, a 2-day pass costs $31.50, and a 3-day pass costs $44. So depending on whether you'd buy two or three 1-day passes, the extra cost per person as a result of the new policy would be $3.50 or $13. Perhaps not worth getting your knickers in too much of a twist over. ;)

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

Last year the 1 and 2 day passes were sold at the excursion desk. I wonder if they will still have them. Was planning on getting the 2 day again while we are on the way down.

They will only be sold onboard ships if they have any left from last year. That comes from the document below.

http://dockyardbermuda.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/2016-pre-season-Transport-meeting.pdf

This portion from the article

He said that passengers buying two- and three-day public passes could easily end up delayed by the limited number of buses running from Dockyard at half-hour intervals.

“They may also then have to wait long periods for a bus, and then negotiate on foot the steep hill to and from Horseshoe Bay Beach. Taxis and minibuses deliver right down to the beach.”

is deeply stupid. As if the majority of passengers weren't already aware of the option of taxis and minibuses if they didn't want to wait or "be delayed" going anywhere. Obvious money grab is obvious.

According to this web site, a 1-day pass costs $19, a 2-day pass costs $31.50, and a 3-day pass costs $44. So depending on whether you'd buy two or three 1-day passes, the extra cost per person as a result of the new policy would be $3.50 or $13. Perhaps not worth getting your knickers in too much of a twist over. ;)

Yes, you can buy 2 of the one day passes. But that is not what they want. Read the article. They want us to take taxis. They don't want us on public transportation.

I find this ironic about pushing the taxis because last Sept we went by taxi to h20 watersports in mangrove bay for a half day boat rental. Got back about 1:30 and could not get a taxi to come pick us up. The owner called multiple companies and everyone else he knew, but once they found out we were a 12-14 dollar fare, everyone was "too busy". Finally after waiting over an hour, the owner got someone to drive us back to the ship in a private car.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So... essentially I am now best off paying cash to get to Hamilton of the ferry, then buying a pass there. Thank you for this information and it's why I love CC.

As for this trial, alas I don't sail until June, so we will see if it holds up. I can see the biggest issue with this being push back from NCL, Celebrity and RCCL. I mean if you think the people on Regent or the other high end lines that actually dock in Hamilton are taking the bus, I would say you are mistaken anyways! This is a direct shot at the mass market cruise lines IMO. I could actually see FDR looking at this going, well... the Bermuda sailings aren't all that booked early on in the season (we just finally had 2 cabin cats sell out on our cruise this week... M/B6) instead of taking the BA strictly to Bermuda all spring/summer yeah.. lets see if we can get from Bahama sailings in instead.

Like was said, no taxi who is specifically geared to tourists is going to want to take a $10-$15 fare. And then again, if I want to go some place off the beaten path (Tom Moore's Jungle for example) exactly HOW am I gonna get a cab back? :confused: All the taxi's will be waiting on the fairs from the Dockyard to St. George and everyone who isn't going that far, well, good luck finding someone!

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

Yes but if you wanted to only take one roundtrip ferry ride to St. George it would have cost $9.00 with the tokens now it will cost $19.00. For a family of four or five that's an additional $40 or $50 for a ferry ride. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Where do you buy the tickets once you dock? Are places that sell them within walking distance?

The plan is to only sell the one day passes at the Visitor Information Centers this year. There are three, one by each ship terminal and a third by the ferry docks.

In past years they sold one day ($19), two day passes ($31.50), three day passes ($44) and tokens. The tokens for $4.50 were good for single rides on buses or ferries. The passes were good for both buses and ferries. The ticket books that someone mentioned were only sold the past few years in Hamilton and St. George.

Edited by Charles4515

I'm so confused by all this.

I keep seeing people reference rolled change. Where do I use my rolled change and where do I use my paper bills?

What will be the most cost effective way to get around the island?

Can someone please break it down for me :)

I'm so confused by all this.

I keep seeing people reference rolled change. Where do I use my rolled change and where do I use my paper bills?

What will be the most cost effective way to get around the island?

Can someone please break it down for me :)

You could only use paper bills to buy passes and tokens at the locations that sell them. Not on the ferry or bus. You can use exact change, coins to get on the ferry or bus for $5 a ride. They don't accept currency on the ferry or buses.

The most cost effective way depends on what you are planning to do. That is different for everyone.

Edited by Charles4515

There is a new article in the Royal Gazette today. Already the new policy was causing problems at the Dockyard. Hopefully they will come to their senses.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160415/visitors-frustrated-by-transport-policy

Interesting. The photo has me wondering if it might be worth it to just bite the bullet and cab it rather than waiting in a long line. Are lines like that typical?

Also interesting that tokens are (currently) still being sold nearby but not at the Visitor Centre.

Edited by Cauzneffct

Interesting. The photo has me wondering if it might be worth it to just bite the bullet and cab it rather than waiting in a long line. Are lines like that typical?

Also interesting that tokens are (currently) still being sold nearby but not at the Visitor Centre.

I have never been in a line like that at the Dockyard. I see the Summit in the background. The last two years I was on the Summit and took the first ferry, the first day, the 9:30 to St. George. Did not wait in a line like that. Can't say about other times and I did not pay much attention to the line for the Hamilton ferry in the morning but I took the Hamilton ferry in the evening to go to Harbour Night and there was no long line like that.

Also I have taken taxis from the Dockyard and at the peak times we had to to wait in line for those. I have waited in line 15 to 20 minutes for a taxi there. and some places you might take a taxi to there is no guarantee that taxis will be there for your return.

One thing that does cause me concern about the ferry is that one of the comments on the Royal Gazette web site said the ferry Bermudian may be out of service. That is the large ferry that holds 750 passengers.

Edited by Charles4515

I've never seen lines like that either. That said we have had to wait on lines to take a taxi, bus and ferry. It just depends on the time of day how long the lines are.

Sure hope Bermuda wises up and goes back to selling tokens. It was even better when they sold the ticket books at Dockyard but I guess that was the first change in trying to get more money out of tourist coming off the ships.