Allure or Oasis -- Which ship is larger, or is it longer, or is it "grosser"

Until Harmony arrives which ship is bigger?

I was always under the impression that Allure was longer therefore she was the biggest. On Gambee's "Pictoral Review" he commented that the cruise director kept going on that Oasis was the largest. I was surprised by this. Another poster on Gambee's thread stated that, "Oasis is actually longer than Allure after it's drydock". In all honesty I sailed on both ships after their respective dry docks and I didn't see any difference.;) Since I didn't want to divert Gambee's thread my question is, which ship is "bigger".

Is it still Allure or did Oasis gain a few lbs over the years? Is it determined by length, or displacement or is tonnage? Google was not much help either, as they bundle the Oasis Class together.

I am curious to see what you say. In a few months when Harmony sails it won't matter, but until then there is a title in question.:)

EDIT: I hope you got the tonnage joke in the thread title.:p

Edited by A&L_Ont

Oasis:

Gross Tonnage 225,282

Length 1,186.5 ft

Max Beam 213 ft

Draft 30 ft

Cruising Speed 22.6 knots

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=OA&shipCode=OA&br=R

Allure:

Gross Tonnage 225,282

Length 1,187 ft

Max Beam 213 ft

Draft 30 ft

Cruising Speed 22.6 knots

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do?shipClassCode=OA&shipCode=AL&br=R

Oasis had a change done on the isopods during drydock, which make them stick further out the back. That made Oasis an inch "longer" than Allure.

Edit: However the official length of a ship (MBA posted while I was writing) is "stem to stern", which doesn't include the props. So in reality, it come down to which ship's captain you ask who's is longer.

Edited by TBone2K

Oasis had a change done on the isopods during drydock, which make them stick further out the back. That made Oasis an inch "longer" than Allure.

Edit: However the official length of a ship (MBA posted while I was writing) is "stem to stern", which doesn't include the props. So in reality, it come down to which ship's captain you ask who's is longer.

So in reality it comes down to what a man has to say about their equipment, which is below the water line... :p:) As a man I still can't let that joke go unsaid.

Edited by A&L_Ont

The only possible change would have been an extension of the "fairwater cap" on the back of the fixipod, since this is the aftermost pod. Not sure why they would have done that, but regardless the LOA is for hull dimensions.

Whether Allure is "bigger" due to being maybe 4-6" longer is really pretty moot. It can also depend on what time of day, and the temperature, that the measurement is taken. Just like gross tonnage, it's all pretty much an approximation. Any two ships, built to the same set of plans will not match each other in multitudes of dimensions. Shipbuilding is still a lot more art than science.

The real measure of how large a ship is, is it's displacement, or the weight of water it displaces (essentially its weight with cargo). Oasis and Allure aren't even in the world class by this measurement, when you see that the largest bulk carrier in the world has a deadweight (weight of cargo and fuel it can carry) is over 400,000 tons, while the displacement of the Oasis/Allure is reported to be around 100,000 tons. So the M/V Vale Brasil could lift 4 Oasis class ships.

Yep, moving right along :rolleyes: ...

Some TV commercials and travel shows decided at some point to proclaim Allure "the biggest cruise ship in the world", but beyond one or two completely obscure factors, it's not even worth talking about. I've sailed on Oasis and Allure, and really. I mean come on :rolleyes: ... it's almost like saying I like dining on the port side of the MDR better than the starboard side. But which ship? I can't even remember.

Attended C&A Trivia on Freedom last year and a Pinnacle fresh off the Oasis destroyed the poor cruise staff member over this question.

Standard answer I have always heard is Allure by a fraction.

The person in question berated the trivia lady for about 5 minutes that her answer was wrong, she personally had spoken with the captain of Oasis on the recent TA and he explained to her that they remeasured and Oasis had reclaimed the crown, how could RCI not have informed her that her answer was wrong, etc, etc.

The winner of the C&A trivia got a standing ovation just for not being this obnoxious lady :)

Doesn't resolve the question but hopefully RCI drops it from their trivia :)

Attended C&A Trivia on Freedom last year and a Pinnacle fresh off the Oasis destroyed the poor cruise staff member over this question.

Standard answer I have always heard is Allure by a fraction.

The person in question berated the trivia lady for about 5 minutes that her answer was wrong, she personally had spoken with the captain of Oasis on the recent TA and he explained to her that they remeasured and Oasis had reclaimed the crown, how could RCI not have informed her that her answer was wrong, etc, etc.

The winner of the C&A trivia got a standing ovation just for not being this obnoxious lady :)

Doesn't resolve the question but hopefully RCI drops it from their trivia :)

It won't matter soon, Harmony is definitely larger

It won't matter soon, Harmony is definitely larger

Depends on what the question is; longer or "larger". Harmony will not be longer, but her gross tonnage is larger. Whether this is due to an actual increase in internal volume, or a different application of the multitude of factors that modify the actual volume to reach gross tonnage, I can't say.

Depends on what the question is; longer or "larger". Harmony will not be longer, but her gross tonnage is larger. Whether this is due to an actual increase in internal volume, or a different application of the multitude of factors that modify the actual volume to reach gross tonnage, I can't say.

Probably internal volume by enclosing previously open spaces. Some have said she has a wider beam, but I doubt it.

The only possible change would have been an extension of the "fairwater cap" on the back of the fixipod, since this is the aftermost pod. Not sure why they would have done that, but regardless the LOA is for hull dimensions.

Oasis and Allure do not have fixipods as far as I know, they both have 3 azipods.

Correct, thinking of Freedom class. Apologies.

What the **** is going on here?

Pigs flying and hell freezing over?

chengkp75 getting facts wrong! [emoji3]

I'm going to have to go away and re-assess everything I thought I knew.

You better avoid reading any of Bob's posts, as this could really go south on you.:eek::)

The difference in size comes from the enlarged solarium structure. on Harmony. Allure and Oasis have an open deck in front of the solarium. That's all!

Not perfect, not even close, just ask my wife!

Oasis it's heavier than Allure, this was confirmed by the CD on my last cruise on the Allure. But for operational effects, both have the same reported weight.

But Allure has more length AT WATERLINE, which makes it technically bigger.

Edited by Pipo

Oasis it's heavier than Allure, this was confirmed by the CD on my last cruise on the Allure. But for operational effects, both have the same reported weight.

But Allure has more length AT WATERLINE, which makes it technically bigger.

When you refer to "same reported weight" are you referring to "gross tonnage"? Because gross tonnage has nothing to do with a ship's weight.

To use Wiki's somewhat basic definition:

"Gross tonnage (often abbreviated as GT, G.T. or gt) is a unitless index related to a ship's overall internal volume. Gross tonnage is different from gross register tonnage.[1] Neither gross tonnage nor gross register tonnage is a measure of the ship's displacement (mass) and should not be confused with terms such as deadweight tonnage or displacement."

Due to the added length of Allure, the ship MAY be heavier (displacement) than Oasis, but that is not a given, and can only be determined when the ship is first built (and empty of people, fuel, water, and supplies) and the draft can be measured and the displacement calculated from the hull shape drawings and the draft.

When you refer to "same reported weight" are you referring to "gross tonnage"? Because gross tonnage has nothing to do with a ship's weight.

To use Wiki's somewhat basic definition:

"Gross tonnage (often abbreviated as GT, G.T. or gt) is a unitless index related to a ship's overall internal volume. Gross tonnage is different from gross register tonnage.[1] Neither gross tonnage nor gross register tonnage is a measure of the ship's displacement (mass) and should not be confused with terms such as deadweight tonnage or displacement."

Due to the added length of Allure, the ship MAY be heavier (displacement) than Oasis, but that is not a given, and can only be determined when the ship is first built (and empty of people, fuel, water, and supplies) and the draft can be measured and the displacement calculated from the hull shape drawings and the draft.

Thank you. Same gross tonnage for both ships. Oasis it's heavier.

Edited by Pipo