Breaking News - C&A Changes/Enhancements

This is what Carnival just started to "test" on their Costa Brand. Since January this year all points only last three years anymore and then you start with zero points again. The same with the tier. So to achieve the highest tier you have to cruise about 260 days in an inside cabin to carry on your tier within three years.

I guess that they will then expanding it to their other brands and RCI and NCL will follow!

How many people cruise 11 times a year? Less than 1% of cruisers.

Those cruising once a year (which is an avid cruiser) will be loyal to no one cruise line, and that is the purpose of the benefits achieved. If I cruise 9 times in a ten year period, and if a cruise line gave me extra benefits for ten cruises or more, I would be more likely to cruise with that company again, over one that I would achieve no benefits with. H

Ray, I can't imagine you got your points through your parents.

Sorry, you missed the point. People on the boards have been stating for quite a while that the children of Diamond and Diamond plus members are swelling the ranks, which leads to crowding. I don't think that's the case.

I really don't care how any one earns their status. ;)

I for one am flying up the status rank because Royal decided to award double points for solos in 2013. :D

John,

I was pretty sure that your point was that there does not seem to be a large number of young "coat-tailers" in the lounges. I am in agreement, there does not seem to be many folks that we have met that would even appear to be in the category.

Actually, on a cruise last year, at the "Meal With An Officer" there was a young lady, and her grand-mother at our table. The young woman was in a Masters Program in college (probably early/mid twenties), but mentioned that she had been on over twenty cruises. We never did see her in the Lounge any evening, but did see her around the ship quite often.

I had just not ever given that type situation much thought, until this thread. :D

N Ray H

John,

I was pretty sure that your point was that there does not seem to be a large number of young "coat-tailers" in the lounges. I am in agreement, there does not seem to be many folks that we have met that would even appear to be in the category.

Actually, on a cruise last year, at the "Meal With An Officer" there was a young lady, and her grand-mother at our table. The young woman was in a Masters Program in college (probably early/mid twenties), but mentioned that she had been on over twenty cruises. We never did see her in the Lounge any evening, but did see her around the ship quite often.

I had just not ever given that type situation much thought, until this thread. :D

N Ray H

It's all good. i just didn't want to come across as one of those folks that seems to question one's right to be in the lounges. if your card opens the door, come on in. Heck, I even got in Freedom's CL via the Ben and Jerry Sweet. :o

i wish I had the best answer. Obviously, people don't cruise with the frequency they fly or stay in hotels. However, if points ONLY accrue and never drop off, the crowding situation will only worsen.

I think an approach such as the resort I mentioned may be the best compromise. Your points accrue. However, after X years (let's say 5), points prior to that time drop off. So, you could be D or D+ based on 5 years of cruising. However, if you don't cruise at all for a year, you would lose the points from historical year 6 (i.e., only the last 5 years count). Cruise again, and start earning points. If you cruise a lot in a year, you could jump up several levels. Don't cruise for a few years and you drop down.

5 years may not be the right number for cruising. But my DH and I have credits from 20+ years ago. Is that really fair? I don't think so. I'd give them up for a revised program.

I would add that, if points don't accumulate forever, tiers would need to be reduced. Also, RCL could do what some airlines/hotels do -- lifetime points would count toward lifetime levels. So, for example, if you accrue 500 points, you would be lifetime Emerald (or whatever). If you accrued enough lifetime points, you would be D or D+ forever. But it would be at a much higher level than it is today in order to have lifetime benefits.

The above is what I would do (and take the flak). But I'm not running RCL.:)

I have a better idea. You give up your points and I'll keep mine.

And I am quite happy that you are not running RCI.:)

It's all good. i just didn't want to come across as one of those folks that seems to question one's right to be in the lounges. if your card opens the door, come on in. Heck, I even got in Freedom's CL via the Ben and Jerry Sweet. :o

Speaking of the Ben and Jerry Sweet--I wonder if it will still include CL access. We booked our son and wife in it on Liberty next year, thinking they would be able to join us in the CL. Now they may get in, but we won't anymore. The best laid plans of mice and men, as they say. :rolleyes:

I have a better idea. You give up your points and I'll keep mine.

And I am quite happy that you are not running RCI.:)

I agree. Taking away CL access is one thing, but dropping points is another thing altogether. D+ one day and nothing the next? Yikes. These boards would really burn up! :D:eek:

Speaking of the Ben and Jerry Sweet--I wonder if it will still include CL access. We booked our son and wife in it on Liberty next year, thinking they would be able to join us in the CL. Now they may get in, but we won't anymore. The best laid plans of mice and men, as they say. :rolleyes:

That made me chuckle, sorry. Hopefully they don't laud it over you.

That made me chuckle, sorry. Hopefully they don't laud it over you.

No. We're paying for their cruise, so they won't say a word! We were happy to give them some extra little benefits they wouldn't get otherwise. I did tell them they have to share the free ice cream, though! :D

No. We're paying for their cruise, so they won't say a word! We were happy to give them some extra little benefits they wouldn't get otherwise. I did tell them they have to share the free ice cream, though! :D

Had our DS and DIL in the B&J and DH wanted some ice cream too as it was our treat to take them on the cruise.:D

Perhaps the person thinking they should Drop Points if you haven't cruised for some time, has been very lucky in life with their own health and that of their family.

Also, financially able to go on that planned cruise and not just have lost their job etc.

There are reasons people may not be able to cruise for 5 years......then they are really VERY anxious to pick up and carry on as soon as they can.

Some of us have had to cancel due to health and it was not our fault when Life gets in the way and makes you have emergency Surgery etc.

If only we could know that every cruise we book we can go on as planned. One sure hopes so!!!:)

Quite true. I didn't sail for several years when my wife was terminally ill. Had RCCL taken away points or reduced my status I most likely would be sailing on different cruise lines or exercising other vacation options.

It seems that several posters view the intent of the C & A society as rewarding loyalty when in fact it is an enormously effective marketing tool. Dropping off points after x years is quite probably beyond the capacity of their IT department and more importantly it is negative marketing.

Absolutely, there is no loyalty there if you just can't go and then they take away your points because you didn't cruise with them.

It is only about the Lounges at the moment. But it is not that drastic a reason to remove points because the lounges are too full.

It's a punch card, just grab it.

Absolutely, there is no loyalty there if you just can't go and then they take away your points because you didn't cruise with them.

It is only about the Lounges at the moment. But it is not that drastic a reason to remove points because the lounges are too full.

BOA points expire.

BOA points expire.

Are you meaning RCL CC? We don't have it in Canada.......yet?

Or other points that expire. Yep they can expire. We use them before they do or try to keep them active.

We just can hope RCL is better to their customers and we can stay healthy to be able to cruise.

If all they are worried about is a full lounge, then there is no need to take away points from C&A members. Just limit the lounge, that is less drastic.

Edited by CVU

Are you meaning RCL CC? We don't have it in Canada.......yet?

I dont know which way he is talking! When acrewing points they will not expires for 5 years in your BOA account.

Now If you have sent a chunk of points to a designated cruise you are going to be on and go but don't use them all. Not sure if they stay in account on board and expire in a year or get sent back! I know they said refundable. I ended up using mine.

I again will mention watch your account like a hawk, because it took almost the whole cruise for the points to show up in my account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I bet that THEY will get into the SL. They will leave all of the D and D+ in the dust, and joined the exalted ranks of Pineapples and Suite Denizens in the Suite Lounge.

;) :D :p

Edited by Merion_Mom

I dont know which way he is talking! When acrewing points they will not expires for 5 years in your BOA account.

Now If you have sent a chunk of points to a designated cruise you are going to be on and go but don't use them all. Not sure if they stay in account on board and expire in a year or get sent back! I know they said refundable. I ended up using mine.

I again will mention watch your account like a hawk, because it took almost the whole cruise for the points to show up in my account.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Points earned on the BofA Royal credit card, do expire if not used in 5 years. Our goal is to use it as a payment against the cruise fare when we can 50K points for a $500 credit on our balance; if not then the OBC we put on our account we know we will use up ON the sailing towards tips and other expenses. I don't worry about needing a refund to my account. I actually want a small balance to be due and then charged to my credit card at the end of the sailing.

I bet that THEY will get into the SL. They will leave all of the D and D+ in the dust, and joined the exalted ranks of Pineapples and Suite Denizens in the Suite Lounge.

;) :D :p

I hope they do. It would just have been nice if we could have joined them. Hopefully whoever is in there is nice and doesn't make them feel like interlopers.

One more idea that could help a little. Create a new level between D+ and Pinnacle say at the half way point to 700 and allow that group to access the SL in addition to Pinnacles and suite guests. If you have accumulated 350 points or ~50 cruises you would have paid a minimum of $100K and depending on room and cabin maybe closer to $300K that should deserve some form of recognition. It would also reduce some of the crowding and not dramatically impact the SL. This would also provide some motivation to get to the 350 point level and fulfill the marketing strategy to keep customers loyal via C&A.

If not then I go with the suggestion that Pinnacles and suite guests get the SL, D+ gets the diamond lounge and the diamonds get the vouchers to get 3 drinks wherever they want.

There is no good solution that will not irritate some portion of the D/D+ members. You need to reward/motivate your loyal RCCL cruisers that have spent $$$ in the past with a good lounge experience while providing a relaxing uncrowded SL for the suite guests that are spending $$$ now. The real question is what approach will limit the damage and provide maximum revenue while fixing the overcrowding in the lounges. There is no easy solution that I can see.

I hope they do. It would just have been nice if we could have joined them. Hopefully whoever is in there is nice and doesn't make them feel like interlopers.

If it turns out they THEY can use the SL and YOU can use the DL, I would go to the concierge(s) and ask them to allow either you or them to switch.

One more idea that could help a little. Create a new level between D+ and Pinnacle say at the half way point to 700 and allow that group to access the SL in addition to Pinnacles and suite guests. If you have accumulated 350 points or ~50 cruises you would have paid a minimum of $100K and depending on room and cabin maybe closer to $300K that should deserve some form of recognition. It would also reduce some of the crowding and not dramatically impact the SL. This would also provide some motivation to get to the 350 point level and fulfill the marketing strategy to keep customers loyal via C&A.

If not then I go with the suggestion that Pinnacles and suite guests get the SL, D+ gets the diamond lounge and the diamonds get the vouchers to get 3 drinks wherever they want.

There is no good solution that will not irritate some portion of the D/D+ members. You need to reward/motivate your loyal RCCL cruisers that have spent $$$ in the past with a good lounge experience while providing a relaxing uncrowded SL for the suite guests that are spending $$$ now. The real question is what approach will limit the damage and provide maximum revenue while fixing the overcrowding in the lounges. There is no easy solution that I can see.

Adding another level between D+ and Pinnacle would mean 'giving different perks' at that level.....the only perk I would care about would be an increase in the balcony discount.....the cruiser deserved a little extra incentive to book those balconies if they made it to 350 nights. As you point out they have spent a plenty cruising with Royal. Maybe a few of those in inside cabins would up their game and try a balcony.

I could care less what cabin type someone cruises in. But it is awfully hard to 'stretch out the perks', IMO.

Adding another level between D+ and Pinnacle would mean 'giving different perks' at that level.....

They are actually already in place. If you have 350, you will have a meal with an officer as well as a bonus gift, such as a bottle of wine.

They are actually already in place. If you have 350, you will have a meal with an officer as well as a bonus gift, such as a bottle of wine.

That is my point, there already are things in place so 'adding' something else would need to 'affect the cruisers' pocketbook in some way - additional financial incentive, perhaps.

That is my point, there already are things in place so 'adding' something else would need to 'affect the cruisers' pocketbook in some way - additional financial incentive, perhaps.

Maybe have a real priority upgrade program like the airlines have. The more points you have the more likely you are to be upgraded. Being executive platinum on American Airlines puts you at the top of the upgrade list for example.

As a solo cruiser I would get a big benefit at 340 (or 350 can't remember which) in terms of solo pricing. Since they already have this "secret " in between tier they should just name it.... Which has also been the subject of many previous rumors.

I see 1000 posts on the horizon :)

Edited by MattInFLL