Transatlantic Rookie has Questions

riddle

Although I have been on many, many cruises I will take my first transatlantic solo on Oct. 30 on the Epic.

I have several questions I hope those who have done these cruises can help with:

1) Is it best to book my air to Barcelona through NCL or on my own? How close to the sailing should I book it?

2) Will I feel comfortable (I am comfortable travelling lone) in Barcelona by myself.

3) What are the top things I should do if I get to Barcelona a few days early. I do not speak any Spanish. Will there be plenty on English speaking people?

4) Will the solo gathering be a good place to meet others? I get the feeling a lot of solos go on these cruises.

5) What side of the ship is best to be on coming back to the U.S.?

I might add that I am a 64 year old female from Ohio.

Thanks to all who can help. Any other pertinent info would be great. I am in a balcony.

Although I have been on many, many cruises I will take my first transatlantic solo on Oct. 30 on the Epic.

I have several questions I hope those who have done these cruises can help with:

1) Is it best to book my air to Barcelona through NCL or on my own? How close to the sailing should I book it?

2) Will I feel comfortable (I am comfortable travelling lone) in Barcelona by myself.

3) What are the top things I should do if I get to Barcelona a few days early. I do not speak any Spanish. Will there be plenty on English speaking people?

4) Will the solo gathering be a good place to meet others? I get the feeling a lot of solos go on these cruises.

Thanks to all who can help. Any other pertinent info would be great. I am in a balcony.

I will be doing the same Cruise :-).. Better book your flights early. I already have them but then again i am using miles.

I find Barcelona very safe, It will be my third time there and feel very comfortable. I even take the bus from the Airport to my hotel. You should definitely see '" Las Ramblas" La Sagrada Familia church ( if you decided to do that better get the tickets online to avoid lines when you get there. I would also take hop on hop off tours, it give you a ride around the whole city definitely worth it, if it will be your first time there. The street Las Ramblas is something to see and walk, you will find it very lively, and best market is there. Yes, be conscientious of your things purse etc, I would just leave them in your hotel and just take the necessary things with you, money, credit card etc.. I would definitely sign up for the meet and greet. If you go on here the ROLL CALL there is a thread of that particular sailing where you will find more information. Good luck

Edited by qtaromar1970

You need to research the flights and compare. NCL air with a shuttle to the port worked out cheaper for my trans atlantic than booking on my own. I just flew to Vienna in March and paid dearly... over $1000 for a round trip ticket. You will be paying about that, as one way tickets are quite expensive.

If you can't find an inexpensive one-way flight, you might want to consider flying to Montreal and taking the Oct. 28 direct flight to Barcelona on Air Transat. It currently is priced at $385 CAN. I will be on this cruise with DW and have already booked this flight which arrives on the 29th.

I'll be on the Jade TA the same date and am using miles for the tickets over.

Others have looked at Icelandic Air, Norwegian Air, AerLingus, all of which are "low-cost" carriers that sell one-way tickets. You'll have to see just how low cost.

Barcelona Tourist Info office has a lot of information on line, as well as tours you can sign up for. If you are on Las Ramblas, stick your head into the Hotel Continental. A lot of us have booked there.

I go to Barcelona every year. A great city. I' m on the Spirit TA 4-23 with a week there following.

I highly recommend you take some of the walking tours. There are several to choose from, the "free" ones you do of course tip. :) runnerbeantours.com

I can't get enough of Gaudi, so my upcoming trip is loaded with that, every day.

My first solo trip was a TA out of Barcelona. I'd been there the year before, so felt comfortable with my hotel and a local restaurant. I didin't have time to go for several days ahead, so stayed close to the hotel.

I fly on points, so kept an eye out for the best flights.

Last year for a Med cruise, I was with my family who are all very tall, and I didn't have enough points for international business class, so we flew Air Transat from Montreal and went club class which is like domestic first class. I can only imagine their economy would have been inexpensive, so might be worth checking that out, and then looking for flights from your home airport to Montreal. I check every available option for the best one, and usually there is one that turns out to be "the deal" and we're very happy with it.

Best of luck!

I'll be on the Jade TA the same date and am using miles for the tickets over.

Others have looked at Icelandic Air, Norwegian Air, AerLingus, all of which are "low-cost" carriers that sell one-way tickets. You'll have to see just how low cost.

Barcelona Tourist Info office has a lot of information on line, as well as tours you can sign up for. If you are on Las Ramblas, stick your head into the Hotel Continental. A lot of us have booked there.

LOl we are staying at Hotel Continental. Is a great hotel in a great location. We have done the hop on and hop off tours, the Sagrada Familia now we are looking what else to do maybe this time we will just play by ear.

That you perhaps make arrangements for transportation from the airport to the hotel ahead of time. We did it, and was told that the driver would be there to pick us up, everything was prepaid.

I am quite sure he did not speak English, but he was aware of picking us up and what hotel we were going to. Zero conversation.

I also recommend the Hop on Hop off bus. There are two routes, all included in one price....the sites are narrated in a variety of languages. You can pay for it on line prior and not have to worry about euros.

I did the same with the hotel...booked on line and paid ahead of time.

When we left and needed to go back to the airport, we called for a taxi, and even though I am sure she did not speak much English, she understood airport, and got us there directly.

As for airfare, it is best to at least ask what NCL would charge, for a cost comparison. For round trips, they are usually somewhat higher. I booked my airfare and hotel separately, but actually used the same hotel that NCL puts their transfer guests into. I got both the airfare and the hotel much cheaper. But as a one way airfare or a multicity airfare, in getting back from Florida to Ohio, they might be comparative.

I stay at the Continental as well. :) Simple, cheap and easy is to just take the Aeroport bus. Last stop, it's a short walk to either of their hotels. A bargain at around 6 euros. Taxi costs are way more.

I also walk up/down La Ramblas and take the port bus to/from the ship. You MUST have aquality rolling bag and be able to manage.

I'm staying there again after my 4-23 Spirit cruise.

I will be on this same cruise with my brother. I was looking for Marriott affiliated hotels because I have plenty of points, but keep seeing people mentioning the Continental. I'm looking at the location and can see why it is so popular. Have you actually stayed there before?

I have been to Barcelona before and found it to be safe for the most part. I lost my phone to pickpockets getting off the train down by the port a couple years ago. I'd been there all week with a friend and we always made sure to have a seat or at least one of us did so was watching the back of the other. That day the car was packed and we both had to stand. We both spotted two older guys who got on and seemed 'off' and we were both being super careful around them, but at the we were in crowd getting out the door I felt someone hit my back pocket for wallet and reached back to over that. His buddy must have bumped the front of me at same time and had my cell phone out of my front jeans pocket and was gone before I noticed.

Definitely check fr your airfare via NCL. Cruise line fares for international one-ways are often quite good.

For a westbound transatlantic I'd prefer a port side balcony ("sunny side").

Have a great trip:)

Edited by pspercy

Barcelona is safe vis-a-vis major crime (it's extremely unlikely you'll be aggressively mugged) but is perhaps the worst place in Europe for pickpocketing and otherwise being non-violently separated from your belongings. This stems from small penalties for getting caught and theft under a few thousand Euros of value not going on a criminal record--so risk to criminals is very low. Don't wear jewelry, don't carry stuff, use a money belt, learn their tricks (don't sign petitions, don't get distracted, don't stop to talk to the "blind children", etc.) and you should be OK. We did have a few people cleaned out on our cruise but at least one of them was quite careless.

The best thing to see in Barcelona, IMO, is actually 45-50 minutes outside by bus or train: Montserrat. Carved into the side of a jagged mountain (hence the name of the place) is a monastery, children's boarding school, and associated buildings and paths. A centrepiece for the religious is the black idol of the virgin mary. The boarding school is for the oldest children's choir in Europe, and if they're not away on tour they give a short performance in the church each day at 1pm and early evening.

I will be on this same cruise with my brother. I was looking for Marriott affiliated hotels because I have plenty of points, but keep seeing people mentioning the Continental. I'm looking at the location and can see why it is so popular. Have you actually stayed there before?

I have been to Barcelona before and found it to be safe for the most part. I lost my phone to pickpockets getting off the train down by the port a couple years ago. I'd been there all week with a friend and we always made sure to have a seat or at least one of us did so was watching the back of the other. That day the car was packed and we both had to stand. We both spotted two older guys who got on and seemed 'off' and we were both being super careful around them, but at the we were in crowd getting out the door I felt someone hit my back pocket for wallet and reached back to over that. His buddy must have bumped the front of me at same time and had my cell phone out of my front jeans pocket and was gone before I noticed.

I have stayed at the Continental. The rooms are small, very bright colors, goofy, old hotel. It has a buffet which i have to admit the breakfast is a lot better than the rest of the day. I usually go out to dinner somewhere else. The location is great because you can take a bus from the Airport that costs 6 Euros and drops you at Plaza Catalunya and the hotel is just one block away. If you are looking for a nice lobby hotel with spacious rooms this is not it. Is very clean but does not look like a hotel at all. We are staying again this coming October.

I have stayed at the Continental. The rooms are small, very bright colors, goofy, old hotel. It has a buffet which i have to admit the breakfast is a lot better than the rest of the day. I usually go out to dinner somewhere else. The location is great because you can take a bus from the Airport that costs 6 Euros and drops you at Plaza Catalunya and the hotel is just one block away. If you are looking for a nice lobby hotel with spacious rooms this is not it. Is very clean but does not look like a hotel at all. We are staying again this coming October.

The fact that you are staying again tells me what I needed to know. I like that it is so close to everything, since we get in Friday afternoon and will only have that evening and Saturday to see the city. Looks like we may have a suitcase parade walking down to the port bus on Sunday morning!

The fact that you are staying again tells me what I needed to know. I like that it is so close to everything, since we get in Friday afternoon and will only have that evening and Saturday to see the city. Looks like we may have a suitcase parade walking down to the port bus on Sunday morning!

May i suggest the hop on and hop off bus. is not cheap but the routes are great, there are 2 routes. We took both and went all around the city. Have fun on your cruise:)

I did a cruise last summer out of Barcelona and felt very safe. I did a detailed trip report with some of the things I did. There are lots of photos. The highlight for me was the food tour we did which would be an excellent activity to do as a solo since you get to join a group.

12 Day Grand Mediterranean Review on the Norwegian Spirit

Hi,

I was on your Escape cruise in January. Please email me at asubaru aol com please...I have a question for you. Thanks, Sue

• 2 months later...
Definitely check fr your airfare via NCL. Cruise line fares for international one-ways are often quite good.

For a westbound transatlantic I'd prefer a port side balcony ("sunny side").

Have a great trip:)

I haven't done a TA with NCL, but I have done them with Royal and the fares for the one way are significantly cheaper with the Cruise line. I think that they make deals with the airlines. I have flown a few times from Barcelona back to the US for less than $600, most of which was actually taxes. I also was able to fly to London for only about $550. It would have been around $1600 to book on my own

And as others have said, check out IcelandAir, they are a good alternative if you live near a city they fly to