East Coasters please help with clothing question for Alaska 6/26/04

unvrknow

I've been reading so much about layering and be prepared for COLD weather etc. We are from the east coast and are used to cold winters, is that what we should expect for Alaska the end of June? It seems like most of the people responding to other clothing questions are from the west coast and are not used to winter weather. Can anyone from the east coast give me some suggestions?

unvrknow -

Not from the East coast but we have some awful winters in the midwest.

I have been to Alaska 2x - once at the end of May/first of June and once first of July. Our end of May trip was gorgeous - in the 50-60's, no rain and I didn't need any of the gloves, ear protection that I brought. I wore a light windbreaker over a sheatshirt in the morning and took the jacket off. Some days, people wore shorts.

Our trip at the end of June/first of July was cold/wet. I wore a light winter jacket (Adidas) - something you would wear if the temps were in the 40's back home. This was a very wet trip and while it probably wasn't "really cold" outside, it was a wet cold with wind. On this trip, I did wear gloves and ear protection. Being on the deck for long periods with the cold wind did convince me to put my ear band and gloves on. On this trip, many were not prepared and RCCL sold tons of lined jackets of medium weight. Something we would wear during the first of November if a blizzard hadn't hit yet.

The difficult thing about Alaska is that it could be beautiful and you could be in shorts or it could be wet, windy and cold. I would come prepared for both. I think for most days - wearing a sweatshirt and a light spring/fall jacket over it would be fine and then you can take off the jacket as the day gets warmer. Hope this helps. Though I would be prepared for a little more in case you need it.

Side note on 10 day forecasts - when we left for our first cruie (one that was cold), the weather forcast when we left showed sun all week and then a front moved in after we left. On the second cruise, the 10 day forecast called for rain all week when I left and we didn't recieve any rain. Good luck!

Budget Queen posts on this board and she is from NY.

Also you may find some helpful info on the Alaska board. There is always a subject of clothing brought up on that board. Hope that helps.

Marilyn

It wasn't as cold as winter when we were there last summer. But when the ship was near the glacier, I had on jeans, gloves, toboggan, T-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, and lightweight LL Bean jacket. The air temp was probably in the mid 40s but you also had the wind chill to take into consideration.

My two favorite things I took were waterproof Timberland shoes, which were dressy enough to wear on casual nights and very comfortable for walking and hiking, and a heavy duty poncho that kept me much drier than the people who were wearing the dollar store ones.

You might save a little on the packing requirements if you're not taking excursions that might expose you to the weather. We had quite a variety of weather, even in mid-July, including a very cold, drizzly day with just a hint of snow at Skagway/Haines. For the most part you can get by with a waterproof jacket with a zip-out lining. If you plan on going fishing, you might want to have something a little warmer. Lightweight long underwear packs easily and keeps the chill away.

Completed:

Sea Princess, Royal Princess, Grand Princess (3X), Caribbean Princess, Golden Princess

Coming up:

Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04

Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

You do need a WIDE range of attire for enjoyment in Alaska. Basic- lightweight lined jacket, rain gear, knit hat and gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes, variety of sweatshirts, tshirts, turtlenecks. I greatly like lined and unlined wind pants and leggins- the key is quick drying and lightweight. I never take jeans. I also always do my laundry off ship in Skagway, greatly cuts down on bulk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sue d. miller:

Yikes!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that emotion

icon_eek.gif

Grand Princess 4/4/04

We were in Alaska end of June/first of July and I had to buy gloves onboard is was so cold. So take a pair of gloves just incase.

Sue

Mardi Gras '77 Horizon '91

Regent Sea '93 Sensation '94

Norway '95 Seaward '96

Granduer '97 Veendam '98

Nor. Sea '99 Imagination 2000 Century 2000 Veendam '01

Nor. Sea '02 Zuiderdam '03 Caribbean Princess '03

Archived