Cans taken on board

verne1956

I have now read in at least 3 threads something about being able to take 12 cans on board in hand luggage.

Is this true and just what kind of cans are we talking about I am thinking soft drink. This would be very helpful as the cruise I am taking is 14 nts so if we could take 12 cans we could take them on shore when in Port as things like canned drinks can be as much as $6 each in some ports in Pacific.

Unfortunately I will be on a super tight budget this cruise it was not planned I am going with someone who is not so well at the moment more for them not me. Its a case of every dollar saved will be a bonus and that is several days worth.

Boy I do sound cheap but hey this time its true.

We've just returned from a cruise on the Pacific Pearl and I can confirm that you can take up to 12 cans each on board. You must have them in your carry on luggage and they must be loose. We took 10 cans each and had to remove the outer wrapping. Why I don't know but it was not a problem.

That's good to know for sure that makes up to 24 cans between us as I said that will save a bit on money in Ports. I do what others say eat a good breakfast get off look around then come back for lunch then off again until sail time.

I have been to most of the ports we are going to before and unless you can find a produce market for fruit then food and drinks can be very expensive. As you pay for all your meals in the cruise price why not take advantage of this if you are not taking excursions.

It is the same with the drinks package why pay $79 everyday of the cruise when you will be off the ship for more then half the time. Unless you are a really big drinker which I am not maybe 2 a day alcohol it won't make sense for me.

If they had a non alcohol cocktail package I would take that I do enjoy those and would drink up to 6 of them over the whole day. I took that last time on Royal Caribbean.

Yes food can be expensive. We browsed around a mini supermarket at Port Denaru, Fiji recently and everything was much dearer than in Australia. Bacon was FJ$75/kg. I guess the locals don't eat much bacon.

We took 12 cans onboard in our hand luggage and then found we had the cool drinks package already on our booking that they didn't tell us about so we bought 20 cans home. No idea why we weren't told about the drinks package. It was only while chatting to another guest that she mentioned it. Our card had the Cokecola logo on it.

The soft drink package is ok - many bookings have this so check (you can get P&O to send you a summary sheet of everything booked to your account). With the package it is only soft drinks in a glass they the a full of ice. You get about half a can with each drink but you can have as many as you want.

Next time if I had to pay the $7 a day I worked out this is about 3 cans of drink - so depending on how much soda you get through it may or may not be worth it. We ended up mainly drinking water during the day and just soda at meals and the show.

• 4 weeks later...
We've just returned from a cruise on the Pacific Pearl and I can confirm that you can take up to 12 cans each on board. You must have them in your carry on luggage and they must be loose. We took 10 cans each and had to remove the outer wrapping. Why I don't know but it was not a problem.

I would assume to confirm that they are soft drink not alcohol mix cans - UDL types.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would assume to confirm that they are soft drink not alcohol mix cans - UDL types.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is only soft drink but they didn't look very closely at ours. We could have got away with alcohol mixes.

• 1 month later...

It seems they like the wrapper removed from the soft drink cans so they can see each one and you are not smuggling anything, I have taken soft drink cans on board before , but its hardly worth it as they are only about $2.50 each, but they may not be very cold, so ask for a glass of ice with your can of soft drink.

Edited by 6666oz