You want travel insurance!

Wj420

Three or more people were medically evacuated from the recent silhouette trans and I know one happened on the current sailing on the eclipse. Amazing that some think insurance is only for canceling. The cost for these folks could be frightening if they don't have insurance. Rethink if you don't think anything could happen to you or your loved ones. An acquaintance got taken off ship in Aruba that cost them $40,000 and couldn't leave the island until payment was arranged... Something to consider.

We are frequent cruisers and have an annual policy that covers medical and evac. Medicare doesn't cover outside the US, so that was the most important consideration. Got it through Geo Blue. Doesn't cover missing the cruise, but we can eat that.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

After 16 years of cruising, we just bought travel insurance for the first time ever. It wasn't needed so much when we were younger but now we're in our 50's, we figure better safe than sorry. Very few people ever say, "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought insurance."

I'm sure you would be in the minority over this side of the pond. Personally, I don't know anyone who travels without travel insurance - it's the norm over here rather than the exception, no matter your age ;). Many have annual policies :). What you don't hear of over here is 'cancellation for any reason' - in fact, totally unheard of, but so are refundable deposits :p.

Just off Eclipse where I came down with bronchitis. Bill from medical was over $500. My insurer doesn't cover out of network but fortunately purchased Geo Blue annual policy. Price of under $400 seemed cheap since I have four cruises booked this year. Don't even want to think about possible evac cost.

Just off Eclipse where I came down with bronchitis. Bill from medical was over $500. My insurer doesn't cover out of network but fortunately purchased Geo Blue annual policy. Price of under $400 seemed cheap since I have four cruises booked this year. Don't even want to think about possible evac cost.

On an Eclipse b2b just recently one of our traveling buddies came down with a case of acute bronchitis. They had to leave the trip in Curacao. They spent 4 days in the hospital there until they were able to get a medical jet to transport them to a Fort Lauderdale hospital where they spent another 5 days before being discharged to come home.

The jet alone was $24,800, and she had to pay $2,700 upfront for the Curacao hospital. I can't imagine yet what the total bills will be but we are all very thankful we purchased trip insurance that will hopefully cover most of these costs. We originally bought the insurance in case of needing to cancel at the last minute but you just never know when illness will strike.

We used to buy travel insurance but last year we upgraded our MasterCard to World Elite and it covers us for everything ! Well worth the annual $150 .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I just purchase the medical and emergency evacuation insurance thru Travel Insured International. Costs less than $100 for both of us for our 3-week cruise/land vacation. Covers $150K for medical expenses and $1M for Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation. Also covers up to $50K for rental car insurance since we normally rent cars in Europe.

It doesn't include cost of the trip, but I consider that money already spend, so not a top priority for me.

After 16 years of cruising, we just bought travel insurance for the first time ever. It wasn't needed so much when we were younger but now we're in our 50's, we figure better safe than sorry. Very few people ever say, "Gee, I wish I hadn't bought insurance."

I am in total agreement with you Drives. We're in our fifties also and we're having more medical issues now then ever before. Never had them before when we used to travel often when we were younger. Now we don't take a chance. Having Travel Insurance would definitely be more cost efficient and gives us a peace of mind god forbid if we ever needed it in an emergency while traveling to places where our personal insurance won't cover anything.

If you have insurance on your credit card do you still buy additional?

Gail

Carefully read your benefits. Ours covers everything except medical. We are OK if dismembered in an accident, but not covered for illness.

We especially like not having to pay extra for rental car insurance.

I was in the hospital in Livorno for three nights, and every penny was covered by the travel insurance. The insurance company "concierge" took care of everything- I never even saw a bill!

Is that the same as the Capital One World Elite thru Mastercard? If so read the fineprint very carefully...especially the part about number of days total out of the country...ours says 22 days and I ended up in the hospital on day 26 with a bill of $12,000. Have not heard final decision on whether M/C is covering the bill

Just a heads up!

We used to buy travel insurance but last year we upgraded our MasterCard to World Elite and it covers us for everything ! Well worth the annual $150 .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After 16 years of cruising, we just bought travel insurance for the first time ever. It wasn't needed so much when we were younger but now we're in our 50's, we figure better safe than sorry.

This is very similar to what one of our family members recently said.

Except his version was: we just bought travel insurance for the first time ever. It wasn't needed so much when we were younger but now we're in our 80's, we figure better safe than sorry. :D

It wasn't needed so much when we were younger but now we're in our 50's, we figure better safe than sorry.

Because young people cannot have a serious accident?

What you don't hear of over here is 'cancellation for any reason' - in fact, totally unheard of, but so are refundable deposits :p.

Because, here, that is NOT insurance - certainly philosophically and, probably, legally [but I cannot be bothered to look it up]. "Cancellation for any reason" is a choice not a risk.

Edited by Project_gal

On an Eclipse b2b just recently one of our traveling buddies came down with a case of acute bronchitis. They had to leave the trip in Curacao. They spent 4 days in the hospital there until they were able to get a medical jet to transport them to a Fort Lauderdale hospital where they spent another 5 days before being discharged to come home.

The jet alone was $24,800, and she had to pay $2,700 upfront for the Curacao hospital. I can't imagine yet what the total bills will be but we are all very thankful we purchased trip insurance that will hopefully cover most of these costs. We originally bought the insurance in case of needing to cancel at the last minute but you just never know when illness will strike.

I thought that generally medical and evacuation covers your medical costs and evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility. I also thought that you had to have something such as MedJet to get further evacuation to any medical facility of your choice such as a place near home. Are you sure that your policy cover both types of evacuation? Who was the provider? Can you get it as an annual policy?

DON

Because younger people are vastly less likely to become so ill on vacation that they would need to be hospitalized or transported home.

Quite easy to slip off ONE step and break your ankle like my wife did when she was only 28. Spent overnight in hospital. Total cost £600 all covered by insurance. At the time, that £600 would of taken us on another 1wk holiday to Europe or 2 mnths mortgage payments.

We always have travel insurance, I wouldn't even consider leaving the UK without it. All it takes is one fall with a broken limb, or an asthma attack or even a broken tooth, for it to be necessary. I took out an annual policy that gives up to £10m for medical emergency and repatriation plus a ton more benefits all for £25 a year.

We always have travel insurance, I wouldn't even consider leaving the UK without it. All it takes is one fall with a broken limb, or an asthma attack or even a broken tooth, for it to be necessary. I took out an annual policy that gives up to £10m for medical emergency and repatriation plus a ton more benefits all for £25 a year.

Hi

Would love to know how old you are and who this is with?

I thought that generally medical and evacuation covers your medical costs and evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility. I also thought that you had to have something such as MedJet to get further evacuation to any medical facility of your choice such as a place near home. Are you sure that your policy cover both types of evacuation? Who was the provider? Can you get it as an annual policy?

DON

The policy was purchased through Celebrity and is not available on an annual basis. The medical jet was arranged through the insurance company and, as far as I know, paid directly by them. They had a $25,000 limit on that service. I'll let you know how it all turned out when the dust has settled.

FYI, for a short time in Curacao, it almost looked like the local doctor was not going to allow our friends to be flown out. I could only recall the discussions about that could be an issue and you should have MedJet Assist. Fortunately, the doctor relented and they were able to leave.

Betty

We always buy the cruiseline ins, except for intl trips...then we get Travel Guard that covers intl air etc. Is it correct that basic cruise line ins does not cover med evac. Or only to nearest hosp? Also we are now on Medicare so that is a factor for med care ins as well.

We are thinking lately that we should still get the basic cruise line ins and supplement with med and med evac ins. Or is that redundant?

If we are only cruising 2 times in 2016..should we get short term ins or the annual coverage.? How do plans/companies mentioned in above posts compare with Med Jet Assist (AARP rec) ins..? Any info or insights will be appreciated..

We have had to use our trvl ins twice over the yrs...both after final payment was made,, Once for a gall bladder emergency a few days before US departure of a cruise ; and another time for serious illness of fam member ( that included flights overseas). Well worth the cost...even if only for peace of mind.

We had a 12 hour delay in London for our family of 5. Insurance paid the meals for us at the airport and a hotel room once we returned home (we live 5 hours from the airport and it was after midnight due to the delay)

Not thousands of dollars, but more than the policy cost.