You want travel insurance!

Wj420

We have used travel insurance twice. One time it was used to cancel a cruise because my wife had blood clots in both lungs (PE). The second time we had to leave the ship halfway through the cruise due to a family medical emergency at home. They insurance paid for the unused portion of the cruise, first class plane tickets from Cozumel (coach tickets were unavailable), all meals, rental car when we got back to the location of the emergency, my plane ticket back to the port to pick up my car, a hotel after I picked up the car and my meals for the trip. Well worth the cost.

Edited by Lazz

Hi

Would love to know how old you are and who this is with?

I will be 44 next month and travelling with my 15 year old daughter.

The insurance is with Debenhams. I didn't even know they did insurance but it came up on a comparison website and it was a good deal. They do 3 tiers of travel insurance and I went for the Gold as the price was good and it included so much.

We used to buy travel insurance but last year we upgraded our MasterCard to World Elite and it covers us for everything ! Well worth the annual $150 .

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't see a travel insurance benefit listed under that card.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

As far as purchasing your insurance through the cruise line, it is generally not the best idea; you can get better coverage at lower rates from independent agencies. In the case of a dispute, there will be no conflict of interest.

In cc's "Cruise Discussion Topics" board there is an entire forum on travel insurance. I spent several mind-numbing days researching policies before purchasing my geo blue annual plan. There's a lot of fine print, especially surrounding evacuation - how much $ coverage, do they pay up front or do you have to go out of pocket, where they evacuate you to, does it cover trip home from hospital, commercial or ambulance plane, and who is in charge of making decisions are just a few. What was most important to me was protecting against catastrophic risk and maintaining control over my healthcare decisions. When this policy expires will look for an insurance professional to help me better understand my options.

I don't see a travel insurance benefit listed under that card.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

As far as purchasing your insurance through the cruise line, it is generally not the best idea; you can get better coverage at lower rates from independent agencies. In the case of a dispute, there will be no conflict of interest.

BMO World Elite Total Travel and Medical Protection6

You and your family are well covered should an emergency or unexpected event disrupt your trip, for car rental collision damage and out-of-country medical expenses up to $2 million. Unlimited-trips-per-year coverage for trips up to 21 days. (This benefit is included for customers under the age of 65. See below for more travel insurance options.)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have used travel insurance twice. One time it was used to cancel a cruise because my wife had blood clots in both lungs (PE). The second time we had to leave the ship halfway through the cruise due to a family medical emergency at home. They insurance paid for the unused portion of the cruise, first class plane tickets from Cozumel (coach tickets were unavailable), all meals, rental car when we got back to the location of the emergency, my plane ticket back to the port to pick up my car, a hotel after I picked up the car and my meals for the trip. Well worth the cost.

Can you please share the company name(s). Glad it worked so well...esp for return trip.

Our main concern is catastrophic med costs, need to return home early for any fam emergency and any needed evac to home hospital,,we will check out the insurance thread as well...

Learning alot from this thread!

Because young people cannot have a serious accident?

People seem to think it either won't happen to them or their U.S. insurance is accepted worldwide. Both errors in judgement.

Appendicitis, broken bones, etc. can happen at any age anywhere. Just not worth the small amount of money to insure yourself.

People seem to think it either won't happen to them or their U.S. insurance is accepted worldwide. Both errors in judgement.

Appendicitis, broken bones, etc. can happen at any age anywhere. Just not worth the small amount of money to insure yourself.

True if needed, but many cruise passengers throw away money purchasing extra travel insurance policies that only duplicate coverage they already have.

Medicare Advantage policies are a good example. While there are some that don't cover travel outside of the USA, many of them do.

Additionally, some people are not aware of what travel insurance coverage they already have from the credit card company used to pay for the cruise.

We always have travel insurance, I wouldn't even consider leaving the UK without it. All it takes is one fall with a broken limb, or an asthma attack or even a broken tooth, for it to be necessary. I took out an annual policy that gives up to £10m for medical emergency and repatriation plus a ton more benefits all for £25 a year.

You must be very young and healthy for travel insurance to cost you £25 for a year

We are frequent cruisers and have an annual policy that covers medical and evac. Medicare doesn't cover outside the US, so that was the most important consideration. Got it through Geo Blue. Doesn't cover missing the cruise, but we can eat that.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Baby :D:D Bob and Phyl

I'm with Bob and Phyl,

Fear, fear, fear -- too many people are selling fear. We travel 10 -- 12 weeks of the year and have an evac and supplemental plan (by the year). My local HMO medicare plan does cover me all over the world. My wife's insurance does cover her worldwide as well. We self insure for everything else.

If you take a "trip of a lifetime" once every five years and go all out, then yes, maybe insurance makes sense to you.

Play smart,

Kel:)

True if needed, but many cruise passengers throw away money purchasing extra travel insurance policies that only duplicate coverage they already have.

Medicare Advantage policies are a good example. While there are some that don't cover travel outside of the USA, many of them do.

Additionally, some people are not aware of what travel insurance coverage they already have from the credit card company used to pay for the cruise.

varoo,

I agree 100%! My insurance (auto/home...,) CEO made over $50,000,000 last year. American snake oil.

Can you please share the company name(s). Glad it worked so well...esp for return trip.

Our main concern is catastrophic med costs, need to return home early for any fam emergency and any needed evac to home hospital,,we will check out the insurance thread as well...

Learning alot from this thread!

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/lp/ppc/general.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwgPe4BRCB66GG8PO69QkSJAC4EhHhJjJeVjKVbROfJjV41s9qMXIImlZrWFH9RnoIlUIBLhoCaBjw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=travel%20insurance&utm_content=&utm_campaign=TI%20Core%20Executive

Please remember that the events I mentioned happened 5+ years ago and that their coverage may have changed.

I'm 44 and at no point was I asked about my health when I took out the policy.

If you have pre-existing conditions and have problems with anything that stems from them the insurance will not cover you

:( sorry to put a damper on your reasonable travel insurance

If you have pre-existing conditions and have problems with anything that stems from them the insurance will not cover you

It's fine, I dont have any pre-existing conditions that would cause any problems for me on a cruise.

That's not entirely true. Some companies waive preexisting medical conditions if you purchase the insurance within 14 or 21 days of booking your cruise.

Some credit cards do include some (or a lot, or none) of travel/trip insurance. It's up to each of us to know what that coverage is.

For those that think they're too young for to need it, or that it's only health related: our 23 year old daughter was diagnosed with THE FLU (the actual reported-to-the-county-health-department-influenza) 18 hours before departing on a four week trip to London, Israel, Jordan, and Turkey. The airlines were pretty good, and actually did refunds and/or credits for most of the airfares. The trip insurance covered everything else, and would have covered any airfare not refunded.

Had she gotten ill 36 hours later, the insurance would have cover whatever care/transportation she needed overseas.

When she got to take the trip 6 months later, the insurance covered her luggage not arriving for three days, brand new iPhone (pickpocket at the Blue Mosque), and replaced a suitcase that lost wheels on English cobblestone.

That's too bad that your daughter came down with the flu before her trip. Glad she was able to go later, but wonder why she didn't join the group late?

It's fine, I dont have any pre-existing conditions that would cause any problems for me on a cruise.

You could have a condition come up any time before your next cruise and it would then be considered a pre-existing condition should you have to later cancel because of that condition, or have problems with that condition during that cruise or any cruise thereater. ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

You could have a condition come up any time before your next cruise and it would then be considered a pre-existing condition should you have to later cancel because of that condition, or have problems with that condition during that cruise or any cruise thereater. ;)

Yes I could have a condition that I dont know about now or may develop before I travel but since I didnt have anything when I took out the insurance, I dont think that they can discriminate against me on that basis. That's the whole point of taking out insurance. Also it's an annual policy, not one specific to the cruise I'm taking, covering any and all travel within Europe for the next 12 months. A pre-existing condition surely has to exist prior to taking out the policy, not just prior to taking a trip?

Yes I could have a condition that I dont know about now or may develop before I travel but since I didnt have anything when I took out the insurance, I dont think that they can discriminate against me on that basis. That's the whole point of taking out insurance. Also it's an annual policy, not one specific to the cruise I'm taking, covering any and all travel within Europe for the next 12 months. A pre-existing condition surely has to exist prior to taking out the policy, not just prior to taking a trip?

Good thing about Annual insurance, any illnesses or conditions that are diagnosed after you've taken out the cover aren't classed as pre-existing so you are covered. Your insurance will also cover trips that have been booked but aren't in that insurance year. So I can book a holiday over a year out and I'm still covered by the current years insurance.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good thing about Annual insurance, any illnesses or conditions that are diagnosed after you've taken out the cover aren't classed as pre-existing so you are covered. Your insurance will also cover trips that have been booked but aren't in that insurance year. So I can book a holiday over a year out and I'm still covered by the current years insurance.

I think you will find !most insurances say that you have to notify them of any health changes during the policy lifetime. Check this out if I were you

I think you will find !most insurances say that you have to notify them of any health changes during the policy lifetime. Check this out if I were you

I know this, but they're not classed as pre-existing conditions.

I am worried that this thread is getting very confused between British and American travel insurance. The two are very different and T&Cs for one are not the same as T&C for another.

PLEASE, anyone reading this thread for advice about travel insurance, take it all with a pinch of salt. Any conversation between two people on different continents [such as those just above this post] may be extremely misleading. Anyone wanting advice about insurance in their usual country of residence [unlike booking a cruise, you cannot by VALID travel insurance from another county] should get country specific advice and the Internet may not be the best place for this.