Packing Cube Advice Needed

Land's End at Sears store has some beautiful "envelopes" silky feeling cloth zippered pouches in nice prints. Not packing cubes but don't add as much weight either. Undies in one. Silk blouses/tops in another.

For laundry I use 13 gallon Flex garbage bags with Frebreeze smell. Each suitcase has a bag thus you don't have to worry about weight -- goes home in the bag it came in. I find this also fares better in the bottom of the cabin closet -- especially if weather is warm. I keep about the last 10 of a roll and throw it in that front pocket of suitcase that nothing else fits in (rain poncho and sun hat lie flat there too). This same plastic bag can be used for sitting on the beach then throwing your towel etc in it. When in the car with a cooler the plastic garbage bag protects the seat. Lots of uses. 2 gallon zip-lock bags work very well as packing cubes/protection especially if suitcases get caught in a downpour. I also occasionally use Zip-lock big bags (5 gallon) that has a zipper and handles. Great when not traveling for storage of sweaters and bulky items.

For schlepping kids to college we've used the Ziplock Flexible Tote. Basically a huge plastic packing cube. Good for keeping clothes apart from the other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am an eBay convert...I originally tried the compressor bags, but that just made a wrinkled mess. The eBags are packed by category and set right into drawers...it eliminates me wiping out drawers or laying tissue down before setting my clothes inside.

Susan

For schlepping kids to college we've used the Ziplock Flexible Tote. Basically a huge plastic packing cube. Good for keeping clothes apart from the other stuff.

That I think is what I was trying to describe. I like the packing cube shaped ones not the big plastic bag type. I like the zipper not press and seal top/

One great thing about these is it protects soft side luggage from rainstorms. Contents inside the suitcase have another layer of waterproofing. Maybe I'm just lucky but at least 3 times I have gotten a bag back from the airline that has set out on those big trolley trucks on tarmack to be loaded and every single item not wrapped in plastic had to be washed and dried. One suitcase even lost some of its color onto my cruise wardrobe.:eek: Out of my control but what a disaster start to the cruise.

I am an eBay convert...I originally tried the compressor bags, but that just made a wrinkled mess. The eBags are packed by category and set right into drawers...it eliminates me wiping out drawers or laying tissue down before setting my clothes inside.

Susan

Exactly what I do except my tops I hang! Love ebags and they are as light as a feather, I have several sets in multiple colors and even use them at home.

Edited by Jiminy1955

That I think is what I was trying to describe. I like the packing cube shaped ones not the big plastic bag type. I like the zipper not press and seal top/

One great thing about these is it protects soft side luggage from rainstorms. Contents inside the suitcase have another layer of waterproofing. Maybe I'm just lucky but at least 3 times I have gotten a bag back from the airline that has set out on those big trolley trucks on tarmack to be loaded and every single item not wrapped in plastic had to be washed and dried. One suitcase even lost some of its color onto my cruise wardrobe.:eek: Out of my control but what a disaster start to the cruise.

The issue with the Flexible Tote is a thin band of mesh near the zipper. Not entirely waterproof.

For rainstorms we've packed into open garbage bags (in the suitcase), taping them shut. Sometimes we've double bagged them.

What I do is I line the inside of my suit cases with plastic garbage bags. My stuff never has gotten wet.

There is no feeling of despair like looking out the airport window and seeing your carefully packed suitcase on the top layer of the luggage cart in a downpour waiting to be loaded on the plane. Control Freak Nightmare!

There is no feeling of despair like looking out the airport window and seeing your carefully packed suitcase on the top layer of the luggage cart in a downpour waiting to be loaded on the plane. Control Freak Nightmare!

How about looking at the airport window and watching your suitcase fall off from the top of the conveyor belt and landing in a huge deep dark puddle of who-knows-exactly what?

When I got home and my suitcase came out on the baggage claim rack, I could smell it before it got to me. Went to the car, dumped out my stuff, and left the suitcase behind. (the handle had also broken off in the fall, and it had some pretty deep gashes as well)

Edited by Lady Chew

What are packing cubes for? Is it just to organize like how you can do separate bags for clothes vs cosmetic bags but see through to be able to see? Are they made to fit inside of a bigger suitcase?

They are to help you organize and make unpacking easier. To help you fit clothing better in your suit cases. There is a video underneath the product.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-starter-set/d/1344_cl_1870

There are many different types of cubes and folders.

I have a Travelon (from tjmaxx or Marshalls) cube that expands, has pockets on the outside, opens from the top or bottom, and has a second compartment inside. My husband was able to pack in one: cargo pants, 2 dress shirts, 4 polos, socks, handkerchief. I cut a piece of cardboard just smaller than the size of the cube to use as a packing folder for the shirts.

Edited by royalcruz

I just bought my graduation gift for my grand-niece who is graduating from high school and going away to college: eBags Mother Load Convertible (the 22" size, not the 19.5" Junior), and the new eBags Ultralight Packing Cubes Super Packer 5-piece set.

Getting her set up right for traveling the world on her own and teaching her that she doesn't need a big suitcase to travel smart and happy.

The new ultralights seems pretty nice - a little more "structure" than the Eagle Creek Specter bags. Maybe when my older eBags cubes get worn I'll spring for some. The video for them show how they were shaped just for putting in the most common carryon roller which are usually 22" tall, but actually only 19.5" interior height. Since the Mother Load has no wheels, it is a full 22" of packability. That extra space will be just the place to put a second pair of shoes or the toiletries bag!

What I do is I line the inside of my suit cases with plastic garbage bags. My stuff never has gotten wet.

I use a cheapie plastic shower curtain to line our suitcases

Sandy in Spain

They are to help you organize and make unpacking easier. To help you fit clothing better in your suit cases.

Yes they do help you organise and they do make unpacking easier, but they don't help you fit clothing better in your cases - in fact the reverse is true.

Have you ever tried packing your suitcase using cubes, then tried packing the exact same clothes without the cubes? You'll find you have a heap of space left over when you pack without the cubes.

Packing clothes separately (and rolling anything that can be rolled) lets you make use of every corner of your case and you will fit a lot more in than if you use folders or cubes.

I use cubes if I'm going on a trip where I'll be living out of my suitcase, or where I'll have to pack and unpack frequently (e.g. on a bus tour). It's so much faster and easier to manage, and now I don't know how I'd manage without them.

However if I'm going on a cruise, where I only have to unpack once, I don't use the cubes because that allows me to fit more in.

Edited by Marisawrite

Yes they do help you organise and they do make unpacking easier, but they don't help you fit clothing better in your cases - in fact the reverse is true.

Have you ever tried packing your suitcase using cubes, then tried packing the exact same clothes without the cubes? You'll find you have a heap of space left over when you pack without the cubes.

Packing clothes separately (and rolling anything that can be rolled) lets you make use of every corner of your case and you will fit a lot more in than if you use folders or cubes.

I use cubes if I'm going on a trip where I'll be living out of my suitcase, or where I'll have to pack and unpack frequently (e.g. on a bus tour). It's so much faster and easier to manage, and now I don't know how I'd manage without them.

However if I'm going on a cruise, where I only have to unpack once, I don't use the cubes because that allows me to fit more in.

I have used the folders and I like them. As for the cubes I will find out on my next cruise. I just ordered them.

On our cruises we each use one 21 carry-on and one 19 inch carry-on. So we each have two carry-on each. On the last cruise I did use the folders, and I like them. Now on the next cruise I will see how it works out with the cubes. I mainly want them for underclothes and socks.

We have been carrying our luggage on and off the ship. We drive to the cruise port, and this makes it easy for us to unpack once on board. I am able to fit enough clothes in for about 8 days including formal outfit for me and a tux for my DH. What helps is that we get free laundry service for the cruise.

It truly depends on how you play Suitcase Tetris. I find I have more room with them.

For us, not everything goes into a packing cube. Some things are left out to fill in the nooks, crannies and channels in a rolling suitcase.

Cubes and folders are the only way to pack in a duffle or large tote.

Interesting perspective. Yes you are correct in that you could fit more in a suitcase if you do not use the packing cubes. There are many "layering" videos out there on how to get the best use out of the space.

For me personally, I don't find the cubes take up much space. I fill them up most times. I have he opposite (not right or wrong.. opposite) opinion on the use for cruises. I can open up the suitcase and just put the packs on the shelf and be done with it. I've used them for so long I know what to pack in each of them so that it takes me no time pre-cruise to fill them.

In the US we have concerns on luggage weight when flying. Trying to get as much as one can in a suitcase can make it tip the scales. So we tend not to try and pack it full if using a larger piece.

I used to use the rolling & layering techniques, and could barely fit what I needed into a suitcase. I have much more space with the same amount of clothes in the same suitcase when I use packing cubes. In fact I have to be very careful, because I can usually put one or two more cubes into the suitcase and can easily go over the weight limits.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't use "official" packing cubes ... I save those plastic cubes that curtains, blankets, pillowcases, whatever, come in and use those ... various sizes, they hold a lot, they zip (which I prefer), you can instantly see what's in them, and they clean very easily!!

In the US we have concerns on luggage weight when flying. Trying to get as much as one can in a suitcase can make it tip the scales. So we tend not to try and pack it full if using a larger piece.

Some European have lower weight limits than US airlines. Ryanair is the most known.