VOOM Internet

Can someone tell me the difference between the VOOM Surf + Stream Voyage Pacage VS The VOOM Surf Voyage package? Is one faster? I thought VOOM was VOOM.

We don't really know the details yet because this is a relatively new concept and there have not been any reports.

I would assume that the stream package is either faster or does not block video streaming.

They appear to be tiered services, with 'stream' being full speed, and 'surf' being a throttled speed.

If you're on a true VOOM equipped ship, I've heard the full speed runs ~ 25-30 Mbps (maybe faster?). But since the tiers are really just rolling out, I don't think there is any confirmation on what the slower throttled 'surf' speed is turning out.

I thought VOOM was VOOM.

Ah, isn't marketing great? RCI would like you to think so, but no, Voom is not Voom on every ship. Actually it's only Voom on 6 ships (7 in a couple of weeks when Harmony comes out) - the rest of the fleet is the same old slow dial up speed Internet. But not to worry for you - Freedom has the real Voom.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if Radiance, which is in dry dock to get freshened, will include the "new" VOOM.

We don't know for sure, but it's a good possibility.

Thank you!

My additional question is that can a 1-device purchase be shared between devices and their use. Meaning, if I shut down one device, can I then "boot up" with the other device? Just trying to save some money like everyone else.

If not, can I do the two device under one person (for each of our iPhones), which seems to be cheaper than one device for each person.

We are taking an Alaska Cruise on Radiance in two weeks.

The cost is $64 for just web access (email and such) and $88 for ability to video chat. Im thinking of going with the $88 plan. Or if I have to go 2 person, 1 device -- then one of each plan.

Thoughts?

We were on the Anthem in March & I paid for two devices but between the 6 of us we had 4 that connected periodically. We had to go to their logoff site (they leave instructions in the room) & log off one device before logging on with another.

So the answer is yes you can sign up for the 1 device plan & switch between devices but only one can be online at a time.

Thank you!

My additional question is that can a 1-device purchase be shared between devices and their use. Meaning, if I shut down one device, can I then "boot up" with the other device? Just trying to save some money like everyone else....

Yes, you can use any number of different devices, but can only have one logged in at any time.

Edited by clarea

• 2 months later...
No reports of O3b internet from Vision yet.

Thanks! So there could be but nobody's verified yet? Is there no official communication from RCCL on which ship do and dont?

What i dont understand, is how they can sell the two tiered packages on a ship with the old internet?

I mean, there's no way that even without the bandwidth being limited I'll be able to stream on such a poor connection?

Thanks again.

Ben.

Thanks! So there could be but nobody's verified yet? Is there no official communication from RCCL on which ship do and dont?

What i dont understand, is how they can sell the two tiered packages on a ship with the old internet?

I mean, there's no way that even without the bandwidth being limited I'll be able to stream on such a poor connection?

Thanks again.

Ben.

No official communications. It's not in Royal's corporate culture to be very specific.

I think they did increase the bandwidth on some of the older Harris connections, but not all of them.

Actually depending on what you are streaming, even SURF on the old Internet works (you can stream YouTube).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Just off Oasis and was surprised to see the 2 levels as when we were on Allure in Feb - it was one and streaming was great. We went for the lower option - just surf and even just Facebook videos did not stream. We stuck with it but a difference for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've just booked Vision of the Seas in Dubai, I'm only getting offered

Voom Surf & Stream, £9.71 per day I only really want Internet for FB & emails is there a Voom only package I can buy when I get onboard

My other question seems to have been answered about using iPhone/iPad on one package, I'll just log off one and log into the other

I've just booked Vision of the Seas in Dubai, I'm only getting offered

Voom Surf & Stream, £9.71 per day I only really want Internet for FB & emails is there a Voom only package I can buy when I get onboard

My other question seems to have been answered about using iPhone/iPad on one package, I'll just log off one and log into the other

The onboard price for Surf only is $13 per day for one device.

The onboard price for Surf only is $13 per day for one device.

Thanks Bob, can the onboard one be purchased per 24 hours? Otherwise it's as cheap to buy the one offered.

Just off topic can you still take your own wine on? Also can only see alcohol package but no just wine packages

Thanks Bob, can the onboard one be purchased per 24 hours? Otherwise it's as cheap to buy the one offered.

Just off topic can you still take your own wine on? Also can only see alcohol package but no just wine packages

One 24-hour period can be purchased for $20.

You can still take two 750ml bottles of wine onboard.

Fleetwide wine packages are gone, however the ship may offer their own wine package. Check with your dining staff.