Question about bringing your own laptop...

laginog

I know, I know....it's a vacation but....my husband insists on staying in contact with work and doing some work while he's gone. He's a programmer and he needs his own laptop and programs. He does have a wireless card. Will it work on the Princess ships with their wireless internet system? Would he need a special type of card or anything? He's used to RCI's in-cabin unlimited internet system and I think this is going to be hard for him!!! Plus...we'll be in an inside cabin for the first time!! Oh...we'll be on the Caribbean Princess, if that makes a difference. We've only sailed with Princess once before so we don't get the "free internet".

Car Destiny-W Caribbean-6/1/00

Sovereign - Bahamas - 6/15/01

Star Princess-Alaska-7/16/02

Navigator-E Caribbean-8/02/03

Mariner-W Caribbean-01/25/04

Caribbean Princess - 9/25/04

Kathi

Kathi_Whale001.gif

LOVE THE VOYAGER CLASS!!! BUT ANY SHIP WILL DO!!!

Geez...I'd like to know the answer to that question, too.

My husband will also need to be in touch with work as we'll be gone for 3 weeks on our cruise.

We'll be on the Sapphire.

So...if someone KNOWS if it's possible to use your own laptop...I think that Kathi and I would appreciate an answer to the original question.

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand

Sky Princess 03/2000 China

Royal Princess 02/2002 South America

Golden Princess 05/2003 Med

Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030

Last I heard, no.....and I too have an interest in this question.

I DO know that wireless access was not available on the Golden in March, nor did anyone man the Internet Cafe who might have been able to let you upload or download files.

This totally surprized me as I too was used to being able to send and receive via wireless connections on other ships, other lines.

We always bring our notebook computers, all four of us, if for no other reason than to download photos and video off our digital cameras.

I will say that there were plenty of terminals available, not a very fast connection but usable.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I "thought" there was a wifi connection, but in reflection don't know for sure. A call to princess would be in order.

I will say that Diamond connnection was spotty to miserable, it was .35 a minute which made each short email about $6.00 to open and reply to, which explains why I want to be plantinum (free internet) so badly I am spending thousands to save $20.... only a cruiser thinks that way.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want to be plantinum (free internet) so badly I am spending thousands to save $20.... only a cruiser thinks that way.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're not alone.

I stopped taking the whole family at once and began a series of "one on one" cruises featuring quality time with me and one other family member culminating with a full family cruise in December.

The fact that it bumps up my cruise numbers at about twice the normal rate is a mere coincidence.

I predict that this series will be renewed for next year due to it's extaordinary popularity.

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Someone on another board mentioned that they used their own and it worked fine but they didn't say "how" they used it. I did e-mail them at their profile e-mail but I haven't heard back from them. Granted...it is vacation but if he's going to be completely miserable wondering what's going on and worrying about the messes he'll have when he gets home, I'd rather he spend an hour so a couple of times a day doing what he loves. And he does love his job--he's a programmer. Besides, I'm a "sun worshipper" and he doesn't like the sun. So...he encourages me to go "relax by the pool" while he "relaxes by the keyboard". Plus....we still have planty of "together time"!! That way, we both get "happy time"!

Kathi

Kathi_Whale001.gif

Coral--

have what capability? That you can just use your own laptop? Just with the wireless card? That's what I need to know. Hopefully his laptop and wireless card will work!

Kathi

Kathi_Whale001.gif

I know people who have used wireless on the Island Princess - if you have an 802.11b or 802.11g card with your laptop - you can use the wireless network in the atrium area only.

I have read that there is a wireless hub in the internet cafe on the Diamond Princess and people can connect with their laptop. I have not spoken to anyone who has used it yet.

Well....I guess he'll just have to try it and hope it works!! He does have the 802.11b card. He'll want his laptop along anyway for downloading his digitals. Thanks for all the help!!!

Kathi

Kathi_Whale001.gif

A little worky on the laptop aboard ship means I get to take more trips. I will be on a long cruise of 25 days and plan to edit my digital photography along the way. Also, have over 15,000 mp3 music titles that I can pull up on playlists. In addition, I will burn CDs and DVDs of my trip photography and video as a backup.

John

Archived