For those that have booked a guarantee.

BJS

First let me say I'm not looking for an upgrade, I do know assignments might not come until several days before sailing (which you can find in the Cuise Personalizer), that travel agents hold spaces which they release back to the cruise line if not booked by final payment time, and you may get different staterooms assigned for back to back cruises.

My question is for those who follow the trends on sites like Travelocity when they have booked a guarantee.

If the cabin category you booked is no longer available 3 1/2 months before for that cruise and you have not been assigned a cabin is there any meaning to that?

The BD category we booked was a past passanger rate $500 less than has been on any online site. Now there is only one balcony cabin category (BC)above for sale at $900 more and one lower(lowest category)guarantee at 3 times the rate we paid. Minisuites and suites are still in good supply.

Any guess with this scenerio when we might see a cabin assignment? (Only other guarantee we'd done was a change and it was assigned within a week of changing and that was about 3 months before sailing.)

Has anyone had back to back guarantees for same category and ever been assigned same room? (the other cruise is still wide open)

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Sept. 04 Star Princess x 2

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

Royal Princess x 2,Island Princess

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

First good luck on the upgrade you are not looking for. It sounds like you are in a decent postion to me, like you I pay alot of attention to these things and nearly always book a guarentee as I can be happy in any cabin that leaves the dock.

The best approach is to watch what fills in above you, we had an excellent shot at a big move on our May 22 but Princess sold all the better berths above us so that nixed that. The $$ difference means next to nothing to them but does to us. Cruise fare being a percentage of cruise revenue when considering other spending habits aboard. You being Platinum and coming in on past pax also bodes well. I got a very candid disclosure from the supervisor at Princess that back to back's move to the head of the priority list that the cruise finalizer gets so again... if there was a formula for moving up, you have filled in nearly all the variables. The only potential fly in the ointment being no where to move you if they want to.

They do try to keep you in the same cabin but not at the expense of wowing you with a big POP on the second leg, lets say you got "stuck" with your BD first leg but upgraded to a full suite on leg two... that would make the move well worth it.

The last thing to mention is that upgrades do correlate to how much is paid, if there are 30 cabins in a guarentee and two upgrades to pass out, the people who paid the most in that group are more likely to get moved all other things being equal.

Again.... Looks real good just hope that every one else booking is on a budget.

Life is at it's best when your address floats

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 12/04

Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

srphnx Thank you for your knowlegable and detailed response.

PS: beautiful day here today isn't it?

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

Yes it is nice, one of our last nice ones for a while I bet. 21 Summers here are plenty to make me wanna RUN screaming as June approaches.

Did you note our escape to Alaska in 2 weeks on Diamond, hate us now and avoid the big rush.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

FYI,

Typically G's won't be assigned until 2 to 4 weeks before the cruise.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Ahh, but it's not the ehat, it's the humidity!!

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Did you note our escape to Alaska in 2 weeks on Diamond, hate us now and avoid the big rush. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>srphnx No will not hate you - notice our escape to Alaska in 2 weeks on the Amsterdam?

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

I tracked the open J cabins after booking a J guarantee. Not only did the tracking NOT show the J cabin open that we were eventually assigned but about 5 days prior to sail date it showed the J category as closed, which made me think that maybe there weren't anymore available and we might get upgraded. So I learned that tracking cabins/categories thru travelocity, uniglobe, etc. is worthless.

Happy Sailing!

Dawn Princess 5/04;Infinity 12/04; HAL Veendam 11/05; HAL Ryndam 12/03; PP 10/03 (b2bs); HAL Noordam 3/03; HAL Veendam 10/02;RSSC Navigator 5/02;HAL Statendam 12/01; Carnival Elation 4/01; NCL Sky 9/00; Ren R4 5/00; Rhapsody of Seas 11/99; Dawn Princess 12/98; RCCL Viking Serenade 7/98; Crown Princess 11/97; 8/94 Carnival Tropicale; '88 Admiral Stardancer

What date?... we might be berthing next to you.

The Amsterdam didn't say where but congratulations.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What date?... we might be berthing next to you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>May 23 - we have a slightly different itinerary even though both going out of Seattle rd. trip. Figure you are in Juneau the 24th and us the 26th, and Ketchikan you the 27th us the 28th. Got great pp price on full suite with HAL and wanted both Sitka and Ketchikan plus Glacier Bay. Have been waiting for several years for Princess to do both ports but finally gave in to giving HAL another try. Had hoped to add another Princess and make Elite this year. Have spent over a month in Alaska on 2 RV tours so the ports were first priority.

Update on our guarantee: Just got an assignment for the Sept. 13 BD to a BA on Caribe. Still none for the first mentioned Sept. 1. Think you are right about <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> being no where to move you if they want to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> As long as they have at least the BD that's fine with us.

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess

79 Sitmar's Fairwind

Good news, keep us posted on the other.

Diamond Princess 12/04

Ecstacy 09/01

Century 12/97

Century 9/96

I just wanted to say that there is just no telling what you'll get, or when. Some guaratees are assigned way in advance, others only days out.

I have friends who swear booking a guarantee is the best way to get an upgrade, and I don't agree. Its totally a crapshoot. I DO agree that folks who paid the most will get moved up, and those who paid less will more than likely stay in the category booked --- no matter if they chose an actual cabin or booked a guarantee.

I see lots and lots of upgrades from assigned cabins. SO, I just advise folks to pick a cabin they like. This is my advice for PRINCESS, not other lines. Going back to back, don't you want the same cabin? Did you not choose a cabin because they were sold out??

I also agree that watching Travelocity, etc. is bonk as far as helpfulness. They move everyone around too much for you to get an actual idea of your situation. If they have someone they really want to make space for, they'll just upgrade someone out of there.

Have a great one!

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Going back to back, don't you want the same cabin?

Really does not matter to us.

Did you not choose a cabin because they were sold out?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not sold out but did not have the same cabin in that category for both cruises. Got a great price for that category. As most do thought there might be an outside chance for an upgrade but did not expect one.

Future cruises:

May 04 Amsterdam

Jan. 05 Diamond Princess

July 05 Star Princess

Aug. 05 Star Pincess

Past cruises:

04 Dawn Princess x 2

03 Grand,Sun,Tahitian,

01 Ryndam x 2

00 Sky Princess