Grand Princess or Elation?

mom2three

I have received a great rate for a Princess cruise from Galveston. We have 3 small children 6, 5 and 3. I don't see much written about the children programs. (I've checked the family crusing boards)
We are bouncing Carnival and Princess.
Which one, in you opinion.
Thanks in advance... [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Wow, those are two completely differnt choices as far as the ship is concearned.

I'd say you'll have a better Children's program on Carnival. The Grand will be a "Grander" ship.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

There is a wonderful children's facility on the Grand. Has its own wading pool and teens only pool. Also, the Grand has personal choice dining which may be easier than having to have a set dining time like on the Elation.

I've been on both - like the Grand better - but its a personal thing.

Also, there is a covered pool on the Grand in case of bad weather. Not so on Elation.

Carnival has a more "party" atmosphere - its a little more refined on the Grand.

Staterooms may be a bit bigger on Elation and they can most likely accommodate 5 in one room. I don't think the Grand can do this unless you are in a family suite($$$).

Another thing to look at is the itinerary - if the Grand goes to Princess Cays - its a beautiful beach day and the kids have programing there as well.

Good luck with your choice. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Monarch 11/97
Elation 8/98
Mercury 8/00
Maasdam 7/02
Grand Princess 7/03
Island Princess 7/04

We're taking a family cruise on the Elation in August and then a Mommy and Daddy only cruise on the Grand in December!

I don't know what category room you intend to book, but on the Elation you can book 5 in a standard cabin (inside or oceanview). There are two twins that convert to a queen bed and then two bunks as well. They will bring in a roll-a-way as well if you like. I don't believe you can have more than four in a room on the Grand in anything less than perhaps a suite (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I know that five in a standard cabin may sound nightmarish to many; however, we have not found it to be a problem with our three small children. We opt against the roll-a-way in favor of the floor space. The oldest gets a bunk to herself and the other two share a bunk. No bathroom problems because no one is yet to the age of being a bathroom hog.

Also, neither the Elation nor the Grand offer adjoining cabins, so if you book two cabins for the extra space and bathroom, Mommy and Daddy end up getting split up.

We haven't yet used the children's program on Princess, but we thought they did an excellent job on Carnival with our kids.

Good luck on your decision and enjoy whatever you choose!

soccermommie

Good point about Princess Cay. On Carnival you tend to get an extra day at sea rather than a port stop.

1968 Lurline (Matson)
1969 Mariposa (Matson)
1998 Seabreeze (Premier)
1998 Century (Celebrity)
1999 Seabreeze (Premier)
1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)
1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)
2000 Westerdam (HAL)
2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)
2000 Sensation (CCL)
2001 Mercury (Celebrity)
2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)
2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)
2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)
2004 Maasdam (HAL)

The Grand will not go to Princess Cays when based in Galveston. It's ports on that itinerary are Belize City, Majahual, Grand Cayman and Cozumel with two sea days.

The Elation does indeed have an extra sea day, and it's ports are Progresso, Cozumel and Belize City.

soccermommie

I'd pick the Grand Princess anytime...She's a beauty.

Scandinavian Sun
Emerald Seas
Island Princess
Seaward
Norway
Westward
Sensation
Facsination
Majesty of the Seas
Dawn Princess
Inspiration
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Sun
Grandeur of the Seas (June 2002)
Carnival Paradise (Sept 2002)
Grand Princess (June 2003)
Disney Magic (Sept 2003)
Diamond Princess (June 2004)

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Diamond Princess Here We Come!

We cruised on the Grand with our 2 oldest when they were 3 and 5. They loved the children's program. Even in October, there were plenty of other kids for them to play with. We have not cruised Carnival with kids, only by ourselves.

Azure Seas 6/88
Jubilee 7/90
Ecstasy 6/01
Grand Princess 10/01
Sea Princess 2/02
Star Princess 2/01/03

Try them both, that is the best advice, now all you have to do is decide which first. If you pick Princess you may not try Carnival, but who knows what you will think. Carnival is the biggest line in the world for a reason.

[B] Life is at it's best when your address floats [/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

McDonald's is probably the number 1 restaurant in the world, but it doesn't make it the best choice for a restaurant.

We sailed on Elation and probably won't sail on the Fantasy class of ships again (Elation, Sensation, Fascination, Paradise, Estacy) --I like Carnival's newer ships but not this class of ship. With so many better choices, I wouldn't settle for this ship even if it was cheaper.

One more thought: I am assuming from your post on the Carnival board that you are deciding between the Elation and the Grand for March 2005. If this is the case, be aware that this is prime spring break time - meaning that more kids (of all ages) will be cruising at this time. It is my understanding that Princess limits the number of children on each sailing while Carnival does not. Don't know if this will have any impact on your decision, but for many people it would.

soccermommie

We sailed Carnival for several years BECAUSE of the children's programs AND the water slides! We're sailing Princess for our first time in November. Carnival had a GREAT kids program on each of the ships that we sailed on!

Until the turkey in the tropics cruise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;11;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Majesty 94
Sovereign 95
Destiny 96
Fascination 97
Triumph 98
Celebration 99
Rhapsody 9/02
Rhapsody 10/03
Splendour 4/04
Grand Princess 11/04

Archived