Escape 5/21/16 guarantee balcony

lah66

Hi everyone,

We just got the blessing from my surgeon yesterday that we could cruise on 5/21/16. I will be 5 weeks post double mastectomy by then. This will be a very different cruise for us, one of R&R and lots of Sunshine therapy!

We booked a guarantee balcony at $829 per person but really want an aft balcony but they are selling for $1349 per person! But, there are at least 14 aft balconies still available on the ship! And it sails in two weeks! I have never seen such a thing! Usually we book our aft balcony rooms the day the cruise opens up! We probably will spend tons of quiet time on our balcony and would appreciate the extra room!

I thought I would watch for a few days and see if the aft prices went down but we do not have many days left! Or should I call for an upgrade? I am willing to gamble a bit, but really really want an aft. I just don't want to spend an extra $1140 to get it!

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

Congrats on the great news! I'm on that cruise!

I have no idea why so many afts are open. Where did you see this? Maybe I'll call for an upgrade. haha

Edited by LrgPizza

Oops, I will blame the meds! Maybe I can still edit it!

Yes, sailing 5/21/16.

Any idea why so many afts would still be open? Probably the $1349 price tag??!!

Lauri

Edited by lah66

I'm on the 5/14/16 sailing of the Escape and was in a guarantee balcony, just got assigned a regular balcony (which I expected).

I'm post Double Mastectomy -- 12 weeks out. Hope you're feeling okay.

My two cents is that if you want the aft balcony, you better pay for it. We had tons of mini-suites and extended balcony rooms available just yesterday, but when I assigned it was to a regular balcony. Again, I didn't think I'd get anything more than a balcony and was happy just not to be under the pool.

I know what you just went through surgery wise, I'd pay the money, save the stress of wondering and just flat out book it. Good luck!

Elation, Thanks for your advice about just booking the aft!

But more importantly, thank you for sharing your story! How are you doing? I went in a few days after my 50th birthday to have a fibroadenoma checked out and they found cancer right next to it. Ended up with 5 biopsies which showed malignancy and atypia in the right, atypia in the left. I got really lucky and just need tamoxifen for 5-10 years. My nodes were negative and oncotyping was favorable.

It will be odd walking around a cruise ship with no boobs, but I doubt many will even notice! We just want to relax and put this whole thing behind us!

I pray that you are healing well! Good luck to you!

Lauri

Congrats on the great news! I'm on that cruise!

I have no idea why so many afts are open. Where did you see this? Maybe I'll call for an upgrade. haha

If I make a mock reservation and choose aft balcony, it gives me 14 choices of rooms to pick from.

I just finished our sail away paperwork and we do not have a room number assigned, so maybe I will call about an upgrade! Before you beat me to it! Maybe we can be aft neighbors! Love our afts!

Lauri

We had a guarantee balcony on Breakaway in January - when I called the upsell department - was only offered Haven's when we really wanted a mini-suite. Those were not offered. Only Havens. Don't know if that's the norm but that's my experience.

We had a guarantee balcony on Breakaway in January - when I called the upsell department - was only offered Haven's when we really wanted a mini-suite. Those were not offered. Only Havens. Don't know if that's the norm but that's my experience.

Same here BEACHBARB, they said only Haven up sells are available through their department. We are willing to pay an extra $529 pp for an aft. The upsell for the Haven is $750 pp. the difference being less than $500! I just read a Haven review on Escape from Spaniellover (I think that was his CC name) and it totally sold us. Just what we need for this cruise; pampering, quiet, relaxation! I am going to call for that upsell right now! Maybe I can get it for less than $750 pp!

Lauri

We are in an aft balcony on 5/28 sailing of the Escape, and the same thing is going on - over a dozen of them still available. Price on our sailing is currently $1499 (we booked for much cheaper a long time ago). It does appear that the price point is higher than demand!

Same here BEACHBARB, they said only Haven up sells are available through their department. We are willing to pay an extra $529 pp for an aft. The upsell for the Haven is $750 pp. the difference being less than $500! I just read a Haven review on Escape from Spaniellover (I think that was his CC name) and it totally sold us. Just what we need for this cruise; pampering, quiet, relaxation! I am going to call for that upsell right now! Maybe I can get it for less than $750 pp!

Lauri

Come back and tell us what happens. We sail Oct 1st so I would love to get and idea of how much more they might want for a Haven

Come back and tell us what happens. We sail Oct 1st so I would love to get and idea of how much more they might want for a Haven

They quoted us $750 per person for the H 5,7 & 9's and $1000 pp for the 2 bedroom (H4's?). And that was upselling from a guarantee balcony. It would be more from an inside or oceanview.

I tried to call the upsell department but was just getting a message. I called the regular NCL number and they confirmed that this department is only open Mon-Fri 9-5. You think they would tell you that on the message! So now I have to wait until Monday morning but we are going to do it. Some people report getting Haven for just $500 pp upgrade so I will shoot for that, but are willing to pay $750. One bummer is that you do not get the typical Haven benefit of the free beverage package or the specialty restaurant package. Considering our situation, that is probably a moot point! We just need R&R!

Lauri

We did it!

Called this morning and got a $750 pp upsell to a Haven Penthouse. There were only 6 Haven rooms remaining so she said they would not go down to just a $500 upsell. We are excited though, we paid $3400 for the two of us when outright this room would have been $6300! Now that is a bargain!

Lauri

We did it!

Called this morning and got a $750 pp upsell to a Haven Penthouse. There were only 6 Haven rooms remaining so she said they would not go down to just a $500 upsell. We are excited though, we paid $3400 for the two of us when outright this room would have been $6300! Now that is a bargain!

Lauri

That is fantastic. Congrats. I have been waiting this morning to see if you would post. Thanks for the info. We are booked in a Midship Mini-suite in October so we will be watching to see what happens with our sailing

Thanks for reporting back

Hi everyone,

We just got the blessing from my surgeon yesterday that we could cruise on 5/21/16. I will be 5 weeks post double mastectomy by then. This will be a very different cruise for us, one of R&R and lots of Sunshine therapy!

We booked a guarantee balcony at $829 per person but really want an aft balcony but they are selling for $1349 per person! But, there are at least 14 aft balconies still available on the ship! And it sails in two weeks! I have never seen such a thing! Usually we book our aft balcony rooms the day the cruise opens up! We probably will spend tons of quiet time on our balcony and would appreciate the extra room!

I thought I would watch for a few days and see if the aft prices went down but we do not have many days left! Or should I call for an upgrade? I am willing to gamble a bit, but really really want an aft. I just don't want to spend an extra $1140 to get it!

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me!

Lauri

Awesome news!