All Things Avalon

FuelScience

After 30+ Ocean cruises we have booked out 1st River Cruise (Enchanting Belgium-May 7-Brussels to Amsterdam on the Luminary).

Would love to hear from anyone who has either done this cruise or cruised on the ship before. Also any optional excursions taken.

Hello there,

We've done 20+ ocean cruise & last year in June (Blue Danube Discovery) & October (Paris to Normandy), we did 2 river cruises with Avalon. The 1st on the Luminary & 2nd on the Creativity. On the Luminary we had a midship french balcony. As we were out of the room most of the time, (no substantial ocean/river days akin to the ocean cruises), we took the "aquarium" cabin on the Creativity. We can not complain about either cabins, very comfortable, quiet & clean. We enjoyed the food & friendly staff on both ships. I did a review on the Luminary with pictures if you're interested.

Enjoy!

Hello there,

We've done 20+ ocean cruise & last year in June (Blue Danube Discovery) & October (Paris to Normandy), we did 2 river cruises with Avalon. The 1st on the Luminary & 2nd on the Creativity. On the Luminary we had a midship french balcony. As we were out of the room most of the time, (no substantial ocean/river days akin to the ocean cruises), we took the "aquarium" cabin on the Creativity. We can not complain about either cabins, very comfortable, quiet & clean. We enjoyed the food & friendly staff on both ships. I did a review on the Luminary with pictures if you're interested.

Enjoy!

I'm sailing on Creativity May 9th. I booked the French balcony. First river cruise. Where can I find a link to your review?

Glad that my overview respecting subject matter helps.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the great review. I'm doing this cruise May 9th also the Creativity. My first river cruise. Any other thoughts or tips to share? We arrive early (around 8:30 am) and planning to visit Sacre Couer for a few hours. I've been to Paris before and this is the one I want to visit for sure. I thought about hop on/off, but want to do something simple as I'm sure I'll be tired from the overnight flight.

Thank you for the great review. I'm doing this cruise May 9th also the Creativity. My first river cruise. Any other thoughts or tips to share? We arrive early (around 8:30 am) and planning to visit Sacre Couer for a few hours. I've been to Paris before and this is the one I want to visit for sure. I thought about hop on/off, but want to do something simple as I'm sure I'll be tired from the overnight flight.

Thank you for your comment. I trust you found my reviews of the Luminary & Creativity on TripAdvisor and am glad it was of some assistance to you.

As this was our 1st visit to Paris you probably have more ideas of what to see than I. When we were there we wanted to see what we learned & heard about in grade 8 french, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe & the Champs-Elysees, anything else was a plus. We had an included walking tour on day 7, where we went to amongst other places such as Ile St. Louis & Ile de la Cite. If you haven't been to these areas, it was a pleasant, easy walk.

We arrived to Paris around 9:30 AM & were shuttled to our meeting hotel, the Pullman Hotel Montparnasse. Unfortunately, this hotel was in the business district of Paris & not a touristy area, but the train station was very near by. We also had a long flight from Vancouver, BC, so we were a little tired like you may be.

We didn't see any HoHo buses upon arrival, but we didn't look too hard. Avalon did offer a tour of the Eiffel Tower when we got to the hotel, but it was sold out, as such we just walked around the area of our meeting place hotel & had lunch there. We were subsequently taken to the Creativity around 3:30 PM.

Enjoy your cruise!

The Eiffel Tower is very difficult to get up without taking a tour of some kind. I set my alarm for the day [still night in NY!] when tickets went on sale for our trip -- and despite my fastest efforts, the 'bots' had grabbed them all before my request arrived. [same thing happened this year for The Last Supper in Milan] But the good news was we booked with Fat Tire Tours and found that the guide added a lot to our enjoyment.

vista june 27th 2017

Hi

We are on Vista 27 th june 2017 starting from amsterdam though to budapest .

we arrive by plane the afternoon we board ,

the itinerary says we have a tour the next day in amsterdam .

can anyone tell us whether we have any extra spare time that to further look around amsterdam /

thanks

• 1 month later...

We are on the Visionary from Nuremberg to Budapest on Aug 15/17. Received a phone call from our travel agent today. Avalon are requesting my husband and I accept an "upgrade" to cabin 302 from our booked cabin 220. Would appreciate any comments from those that have sailed the Visionary as to if this would be a good move or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are on the Visionary from Nuremberg to Budapest on Aug 15/17. Received a phone call from our travel agent today. Avalon are requesting my husband and I accept an "upgrade" to cabin 302 from our booked cabin 220. Would appreciate any comments from those that have sailed the Visionary as to if this would be a good move or not.

Looking at stateroom layout and IMO that is a Good Move. I would make the move as long as you are not charged more money for upgrade.

Enjoy the cruise. We did this route last Spring and enjoyed. Budapest is a good city for extra days at end of cruise.

Looking at stateroom layout and IMO that is a Good Move. I would make the move as long as you are not charged more money for upgrade.

Enjoy the cruise. We did this route last Spring and enjoyed. Budapest is a good city for extra days at end of cruise.

No up charge. And no explanation as to why they are asking if we would switch cabins. My initial reaction was it would be good to be higher, but then I saw 302 is the first cabin nearest to the stairs and also appears to be directly below an area with tables and chairs on the 4th deck. It is our first river cruise, but on ocean cruises we avoid cabins below public decks due to noise issues from scraping chairs. Is this a concern on river cruise ships?

No up charge. And no explanation as to why they are asking if we would switch cabins. My initial reaction was it would be good to be higher, but then I saw 302 is the first cabin nearest to the stairs and also appears to be directly below an area with tables and chairs on the 4th deck. It is our first river cruise, but on ocean cruises we avoid cabins below public decks due to noise issues from scraping chairs. Is this a concern on river cruise ships?

Remember there are less than 200 passengers on the River Boat. Nothing like Ocean Cruises with thousands. Sailed Avalon Expression cabin 205 (check ship layout) and the only noise was from passengers passing door while talking. May have more demand for your cat. cabins so since you are booked, they are offering you upgrade to the more $$$$ cabin. Talk to TA and ask his advice. On our river cruise, most passengers turned in early and up early for breakfast /excursions (much different than ocean cruising). Have a Great Cruise:)

Hi Kiwi,

>we arrive by plane the afternoon we board ,

I urge you to arrive the day before. Very much can happen to prevent your on-time arrival.

Also, you will have some extra time for your own sight seeing.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

vista june 27th 2017

Hi

can anyone tell us whether we have any extra spare time that to further look around amsterdam /

thanks

Probably not. Usually they will take you on a bus to a canal boat and have a canal cruise of Amsterdam. From there it is back to the bus and back to the ship. You will probably sail shortly after that.

If you are on the Magnificent Europe cruise, yes there is time to tour Amsterdam in the afternoon..Mind you, you will probably know by now as you embarked yesterday!

From the Avalon website : "Today, get a unique perspective of Amsterdam on an included CANAL CRUISE, floating along the elegant grachten lined with stately homes dating back to Amsterdam’s “Golden Age.” There’s free time in the city this afternoon—or you might like to join an optional excursion before bidding tot ziens (farewell) to Holland and setting sail for Germany."

Remember there are less than 200 passengers on the River Boat. Nothing like Ocean Cruises with thousands. Sailed Avalon Expression cabin 205 (check ship layout) and the only noise was from passengers passing door while talking. May have more demand for your cat. cabins so since you are booked, they are offering you upgrade to the more $$$$ cabin. Talk to TA and ask his advice. On our river cruise, most passengers turned in early and up early for breakfast /excursions (much different than ocean cruising). Have a Great Cruise:)

Just got off the Illumination and I say GRAB the upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising Amsterdam to Basel August 26 and have not yet been notified of our Amsterdam hotel which we booked through Avalon. Where are other summer cruisers staying?

We are sailing in October and were told it's the Movenpick Hotel.

We will be on the Tranquility II next year, our first river cruise. Wondering if the mini refrigerators cool enough to keep a bottle of wine cold. On most ocean ships they do not and we request an ice bucket in the room and filled twice a day to keep the wine cold, are the ones on river ships better? Thanks for any help.

Hi G,

> Wondering if the mini refrigerators cool enough to keep a bottle of wine cold.

They were on The Passion and on The Tranquility.

Ira

Thanks, the other question I meant to ask is if it is possible to have an ice bucket with fresh ice twice a day?

• 2 weeks later...
vista june 27th 2017

Hi

thanks

Well be are back from this cruise it was great never been on river cruise before and the staff were beyond my expectations . after one day on board they knew what you liked ( being on gluten free diet ) chief even made pasta for me and brought to me himself very tasty. pity we have to travel so far to get to europe as we would be booking another cruise .