All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We have cellular service through AT&T. I was told I need to purchase a cruise plan if I'm on a river cruise. I need to be in touch with those at home, but don't want to spend a fortune to do so. Are there any suggestions? Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have ATT and also sailed Avalon. Their onboard wifi worked fine and I bought a international texting pkg which I cancelled once home. I call home twice in 3 weeks, and checked my email once in the morning and once at night. Turn your Data off, turn off roaming, put it in Airplane mode and use your iPhone as a camera.

We have cellular service through AT&T. I was told I need to purchase a cruise plan if I'm on a river cruise. I need to be in touch with those at home, but don't want to spend a fortune to do so. Are there any suggestions? Thank you.

We have AT&T also. On our last river cruise I bought a one month package (minimum amount of time available) that included texts, some data, and reduced rate for calling. I think it was around $100. Before we left I downloaded maps for cities and towns we were visiting as well as the Paris Metro map so I wouldn't be wasting data on maps. Used the WIFI on the ship with few connection issues.

We recently switched to T-Mobile so that we could use out data abroad, but before that we rented a wireless hot spot. I've posted a review of the Tep Wireless Hotspot at the link below. Cost is about $9/day, and you can connect up to 5 devices. This is good for data--not for calling. You can connect up to 5 devices at once. Used it when off the boat and when the ships internet was swamped and almost unusable due to the high traffic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2248978&highlight=tep

Yeah T-Mobile! It was such a shock to just land in Europe, turn on our phones, and use data like we were home.

No extra data plan. No scrambling to turn off data roaming, then searching desperately for Wi-Fi. Just seamless service as if we were home.

In the past 6 months I've posted pictures to CC from our India trip, and used all sorts of data-eating apps throughout Europe without an upcharge. It should work in South America this fall, as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

So glad I just saw your post! I have several food allergies including dairy and I cannot eat gluten. We just booked a cruise on the Passion and the rep said I didn't need to request dairy-free or gluten free food but I might need to request soy milk or almond milk for my coffee. I was wondering if you can comment on this? Thanks!

Well be are back from this cruise it was great never been on river cruise before and the staff were beyond my expectations . after one day on board they knew what you liked ( being on gluten free diet ) chief even made pasta for me and brought to me himself very tasty. pity we have to travel so far to get to europe as we would be booking another cruise .

Yeah T-Mobile! It was such a shock to just land in Europe, turn on our phones, and use data like we were home.

No extra data plan. No scrambling to turn off data roaming, then searching desperately for Wi-Fi. Just seamless service as if we were home.

In the past 6 months I've posted pictures to CC from our India trip, and used all sorts of data-eating apps throughout Europe without an upcharge. It should work in South America this fall, as well.

Yup. . . exactly our experience when living and working in Florence for four months. Didn't even bother messing with local plans or anything.

(I think you and I have carried on this identical conversation on several threads so far.)

Agreed! I was dubious until I used T-Mobile for the first time abroad this spring. No worries, no problems, no extra charges!

We're on Verizon and we weren't thrilled with the options available when we sailed on the Creativity last year. We ended up downloading the "What's App" app to stay in touch with people back home. We were only trying to keep in touch with a handful of people, though.

I was able to send my sister videos of some Avalon crew members saying "Happy Birthday" in their native languages. She loved it, and sent a video back to me. I was pretty pleased with our experience!

After 10y of traveling abroad with Verizon phones it was a shock to actually be able to use mobile data without watching my bill explode. Love Verizon for their great US coverage, but eventually they lost me with their lack of international data plans.

Hi GG,

>.... the rep said I didn't need to request dairy-free or gluten free food....

Let Avalon know you need special attention. It helps them to prepare for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ira

Wonderful! Thanks for replying!

Hi GG,

>.... the rep said I didn't need to request dairy-free or gluten free food....

Let Avalon know you need special attention. It helps them to prepare for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ira

So glad I just saw your post! I have several food allergies including dairy and I cannot eat gluten. We just booked a cruise on the Passion and the rep said I didn't need to request dairy-free or gluten free food but I might need to request soy milk or almond milk for my coffee. I was wondering if you can comment on this? Thanks!

hi i would tell them in advance but on all food buffet (breakfast and lunch ) they put signs on side of the dish and have a letters which tells you what it contains . best though i found was enquire from chief what you can eat, i found that after a day they would see you coming and tell you what you could have , the waiter/ess were exllent after one day they knew you and I found i got really good service and advice most meals at night they would try to adapt for your diet but a couple of times they brought a total different meal. Also i found in the menu folder that everyone got each meal the last page was on what each meal contained regarding spices ,etc hope this helps cant fault avalon for there trying to adapt a meal .we are looking for another cruise with avalon they are so good !!!

Thank you, kiwixmas!!!

I'm very excited :):)

hi i would tell them in advance but on all food buffet (breakfast and lunch ) they put signs on side of the dish and have a letters which tells you what it contains . best though i found was enquire from chief what you can eat, i found that after a day they would see you coming and tell you what you could have , the waiter/ess were exllent after one day they knew you and I found i got really good service and advice most meals at night they would try to adapt for your diet but a couple of times they brought a total different meal. Also i found in the menu folder that everyone got each meal the last page was on what each meal contained regarding spices ,etc hope this helps cant fault avalon for there trying to adapt a meal .we are looking for another cruise with avalon they are so good !!!

We are booked on the Rhine & Rhone Revealed for Aug 2018.

Any information from any one who has done either leg would be appreciated.

Judy

You don't say which direction you're going. We took the Rhone northbound earlier this year. The dailies from that cruise are posted at:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0nz16ahW1fiaE9FVGtxbEpoWjA

If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to try and answer them.

We did Avalon Paris to Normandy two years ago and have booked the twelve day Basel to Amsterdam for this October. I can't think of anything that needed to be changed or improved on the Normandy cruise. We loved the boat, the food, the staff, and the excursions. We got great prices by booking early for both trips. Fellow passengers were delightful and we dined with different people every night. Mostly British and American.

I read on a different thread that someone complained about being held in a crowd in a hallway before dinner. That was not our experience at all! Every evening before dinner we met in the lounge to get information about the next day's actitivities. Then we proceeded to the dining room. They was no feeling of a herd rushing to get a table. Good heavens, there was seating for all and the kitchen never ran out of anything. Dinners were relaxed, and wine was available. Why would anyone need to rush?

We previously sailed in Europe with Peter Diehlmann and Uniworld. They were also very nice, but we felt more at home with Avalon. We have sailed 30+ times with Princess, HAL and Celebrity, but really enjoy the itineraries and pace of river cruising.

we are thinking about Normandy to cote D azu next year . we did amsterdam to budapest in june/ july this year and really enjoyed it . expect for all the locks making less time a shore ???

My Question is: I see from what i have read there is a lot of locks and this is more of comercal waterway than the one we have just done ??? does this add to time in travel between towns ?? ( i.e less time a shore at each town /city??) thanks in advance peter

Just booked 1st river cruise, please can you tell me if you are allowed to take wine on board Avalon.

There's no problem bringing it on board. If you want to drink it in the dining room, I believe that there's a corkage fee. Also, you can ask your cabin steward to clear out your refrigerator/minibar and store your own beverages in it.

You don't say which direction you're going. We took the Rhone northbound earlier this year. The dailies from that cruise are posted at:

We are going southbound from Amsterdam to Cote d'Azur.

Thanks for posting the link to the dailies. Have just printed them to review at my leisure.

Judy