All Things Avalon

FuelScience

1. For anyone that have done the Avalon provided train ride to or from Paris. How was it? What was the seating like? Reserved seats? Drink or snack service?

2. Documents. Is there any added benefit to mailed documents? I'm a little worried ours won't make it before we leave.

1. For anyone that have done the Avalon provided train ride to or from Paris. How was it? What was the seating like? Reserved seats? Drink or snack service?

2. Documents. Is there any added benefit to mailed documents? I'm a little worried ours won't make it before we leave.

We always received both edocs and mailed. With the mailed your receive nice luggage tags.

1. For anyone that have done the Avalon provided train ride to or from Paris. How was it? What was the seating like? Reserved seats? Drink or snack service? It depends on the class of tickets you have. We didn't have Avalon provided tickets, but we did travel first class from Munich to Paris, and had reserved seats. We were able to pick the seats ourselves and chose the 'quiet' cabin, no cell phones! A light lunch was provided as well.

Even though we booked our last quite late, we still received the documents in the mail ahead of time. I still like having the paper documents to read. As Got2Cruise mentioned, you will receive metal luggage tags that are useful if you drop off your luggage at the Avalon hotel.

I think that they book on the TGV, and I believe that the TGV requires reserved seats. I did notice in some of the Avalon docs that you're responsible for your own luggage on the train.

FuelScience

I think that they book on the TGV, and I believe that the TGV requires reserved seats. I did notice in some of the Avalon docs that you're responsible for your own luggage on the train.

FuelScience

We were on the TGV to Paris at the end of our Avalon Rhone/Salon cruise in July, 2015. When we left the Poetry II our large luggage piece was taken separately by bus to our Paris hotel. We only had our personal item with us on the train. We had assigned seats, but we switched to empty seats so I could ride facing forward due to my motion sickness.

Regarding food and drink. I don't remember eating or drinking on the train. Before boarding the train, we toured in the city of Beaune and there were many food vendors in the marketplace. I found crepes which is what I wanted. I saw that some people purchased food in the train station prior to boarding the train. The travel time is a little over 2 hours.

Edited by Shebely

We always received both edocs and mailed. With the mailed your receive nice luggage tags.

My TA is working on getting them expressed mailed to her in Oregon so she can express mail them to me in Hawaii. They should make it but with my luck they might not. I'm assuming there will be luggage tags I can print in case I don't get my paper docs.

Even though we booked our last quite late, we still received the documents in the mail ahead of time. I still like having the paper documents to read. As Got2Cruise mentioned, you will receive metal luggage tags that are useful if you drop off your luggage at the Avalon hotel.

A quiet, no cell phone cabin would be a dream! As far as the train, I just want to be sure that I will be sitting with my husband and not spread out somewhere else.

Our doc's get released June 28th. We leave Oahu July 18th. We should be fine. The tags sound nice.

My TA is working on getting them expressed mailed to her in Oregon so she can express mail them to me in Hawaii. They should make it but with my luck they might not. I'm assuming there will be luggage tags I can print in case I don't get my paper docs.

Your TA can ask Avalon to express them DIRECT to you. It's completely up to her and she just needs to ask. They can overnight them. Trust me you TA is getting paid handsomely and if there is a charge SHE can cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the TGV to Paris at the end of our Avalon Rhone/Salon cruise in July, 2015. When we left the Poetry II our large luggage piece was taken separately by bus to our Paris hotel. We only had our personal item with us on the train. We had assigned seats, but we switched to empty seats so I could ride facing forward due to my motion sickness.

Regarding food and drink. I don't remember eating or drinking on the train. Before boarding the train, we toured in the city of Beaune and there were many food vendors in the marketplace. I found crepes which is what I wanted. I saw that some people purchased food in the train station prior to boarding the train. The travel time is a little over 2 hours.

Our trip will be from Luxembourg City to Paris. I can go a few hours without eating...but DH has to eat every 3 hours or so. I'm sure we'll get a chance to eat while we are touring so he should be able to pick up something.

Your TA can ask Avalon to express them DIRECT to you. It's completely up to her and she just needs to ask. They can overnight them. Trust me you TA is getting paid handsomely and if there is a charge SHE can cover it.

Agreed. There's no reason for the documents to be sent to the TA. Get them sent directly to you.

I know that she asked them to release them early...not sure if she asked them to send them directly to me. She is covering the expenses.

Hello Rebel54,

as regards the train: the TGV train seats are normally booked together with the ticket, I am not sure if it is always required to do so. The TGV are the French (very modern) fast trains and there is as far as I now always food on board. You can check the train and its amenities when you book, should be possible online. Here is a page of SNCF and TGV I found for you: http://www.sncf.com/en/services/onboard-bar-dining

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Rebel54,

It looks like the train trip from Luxembourg to Paris takes 2 hours and 11 minutes.

FuelScience

Conclusion: we were very happy with both Avalon and Uniworld and would go with either again. The principal difference was the larger cabin and better layout on Avalon. Otherwise the product was very similar.

Just started looking for our first River Cruise - Danube 2017. I have the impression Uniworld is more expensive than Avalon ?? A friend who cruises with Uniworld said they are a little above Tauck. Might not be apples to apples but I calculate Per Diem Avalon at $355 and Uniworld $580.

Once again, this is my first pass, so I might be missing something.

Just started looking for our first River Cruise - Danube 2017. I have the impression Uniworld is more expensive than Avalon ?? A friend who cruises with Uniworld said they are a little above Tauck. Might not be apples to apples but I calculate Per Diem Avalon at $355 and Uniworld $580.

Depends on who your TA is and how much they are kicking back at you.

Be sure and look at all the inclusions. Uniworld is now completely ALL inclusive, while Avalon still has charges for drinks (except wine at dinner) and some optional excursions.

You may be looking at apples & oranges. There are also some good discounts available for 2017 if you book now.

Hello Rebel54,

as regards the train: the TGV train seats are normally booked together with the ticket, I am not sure if it is always required to do so. The TGV are the French (very modern) fast trains and there is as far as I now always food on board. You can check the train and its amenities when you book, should be possible online. Here is a page of SNCF and TGV I found for you: http://www.sncf.com/en/services/onboard-bar-dining

notamermaid

Thank you.

Uniworld generally is more expensive than Avalon and IMO and IME, well worth the difference. Uniworld is a luxury experience and Avalon more mid range (based on my personal experiences and opinions on both lines).

Food and service on Uniworld are excellent. All drinks (with very few exceptions) are included in all venues at all times, including very high quality wines and spirits.

All excursions are included for 2017 cruises.

Airport transfers are included.

Gratuities are included.

There are self service laundry facilities for guests.

I cannot compare to Tauck as I have never sailed with them but IMO, Uniworld is significantly more inclusive and offers a far superior experience to Avalon.

Know that you're going to have a GREAT cruise!! We'll all be waiting to hear about it after you're back. ENJOY!!

FuelScience

Thank you. I certainly will.

Edited by Rebel54