All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We’ve done four Avalon in the past five or so years. I tend to wear dress slacks with long sleeve shirts, or khakis with a dress or polo shirt at dinner. Sometimes with a navy blazer. Depends on time of year.  Two cruises were hot summer time. Definitely no blazer and mostly no dress shirts.  
My bride tended to wear black dressy slacks with various tops and accessories for variety. She also takes a simple cocktail dress. Whatever she wears, she rocks it! 

We do 10-14 day cruises with carry on bags only. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spideysmum said:

I made the final payment a few weeks ago and last Sunday booked excursions for our April 4 Tulip time. They make it SO easy. 

And we, as well, are happy about the less formal atmosphere...as we live in jeans. 😃

Jeans are fine during the day for breaks down lunch. You’ll be quite out of place in jeans in the dining room at dinner, BUT...most nights they have a very nice Bistro service during dinner time in the lounge. Basically the same fare as in the dining room but it’s dished a la carte in smaller portions. You get to taste more than one entree. Very informal.  We really enjoyed it. It’s great if you don’t want to dress for dinner. 

1 hour ago, Kenster said:

Jeans are fine during the day for breaks down lunch. You’ll be quite out of place in jeans in the dining room at dinner, BUT...most nights they have a very nice Bistro service during dinner time in the lounge. Basically the same fare as in the dining room but it’s dished a la carte in smaller portions. You get to taste more than one entree. Very informal.  We really enjoyed it. It’s great if you don’t want to dress for dinner. 

We will be fine in nice jeans.

Edited by Spideysmum
Wrong tetminology

We are taking our first Avalon cruise in April, through Burgundy & Provence.  Both ports seem to be tiny towns, starting in St Jean-de-Losne and ending in Port St-Louis. Any tips on embarkation/disembarkation from those who've been there?

We have pre- and post-cruise plans so will not be going directly to/from the airport in either case.  We plan to stay in Dijon the night before the cruise, which is only about a half hour from the port, hoping it will not be difficult to get a taxi or Uber?  

At the end, we will be making our way to Antibes, either by train or rental car,  so will need to get to the train station (Istres, or Marseilles) or rental office (Port de Bouc).  Will there be taxis available or will the ship assist us in booking one?  And what is the usual timeframe for disembarking? I assume they want us off early so as to ready the ship for the next voyage.

12 hours ago, Spideysmum said:

We will be fine in nice jeans.

Yes you will...when seated at the table, no one knows what you are wearing for pants, as long as you are neat and have a clean top, you will be fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Seattle2 said:

At the end, we will be making our way to Antibes, either by train or rental car,  so will need to get to the train station (Istres, or Marseilles) or rental office (Port de Bouc).  Will there be taxis available or will the ship assist us in booking one?  And what is the usual timeframe for disembarking? I assume they want us off early so as to ready the ship for the next voyage.

Only have experience cruising the Rhine, however we had no problem with getting the ship to book us a taxi to get the the train station at the end of our cruise.  Our CD asked the night before to have everyone let her know how they were leaving and when we got up the next morning, arrangements were made.  

You will be asked to vacate your room after breakfast, however if your taxi isn't going to be required for a while after, I'm sure they will gladly have you wait in the lounge....they see fairly flexible with arrangements.  We embarked between 11:00 - 11:30, were welcomed aboard and invited into the lounge for lunch & drinks.  We had a tour that left at 1:00, so it was a great start to the holiday.  

I have a question about the Bistro service in the lounge. Does it operate at the same hours as dinner in the dining room? Or can you eat earlier? I am a little concerned about going to bed on a full stomach, as that is usually doesn't work out well for me.

It’s roughly the same time as dinner in the dining room.  6:00ish?  After the evening briefing in the lounge. The portions are much smaller though, so it’s up to you as to how much you eat.  It’s not on demand. They serve at a certain time but, if you’re wanting to go to bed early, you can easily be out of there in 20-30 minutes. It’s self serve. 
i believe you also have to sign up for it as there is limited seating. Maybe 20 people? 

It’s a nice, quiet change of pace room but we really like the full service experience in the dining room, too. 

We didn't have a "bistro" on our cruise, however they did have a light buffet laid out in the lounge which started about 15 minutes to 1/2 hr after the seated dinner (guess it was to clear out the room and get everything set up).  You served yourself, and were able to come and go as you wished.  We didn't try it, but I do know several guests who wanted lighter meals did.  They had the same sort of setup for lunch as well I think.

29 minutes ago, Daisi said:

We didn't have a "bistro" on our cruise, however they did have a light buffet laid out in the lounge which started about 15 minutes to 1/2 hr after the seated dinner (guess it was to clear out the room and get everything set up).  You served yourself, and were able to come and go as you wished.  We didn't try it, but I do know several guests who wanted lighter meals did.  They had the same sort of setup for lunch as well I think.

Yes, that’s it. They’ve been calling it “Bistro” for several years. its basically the same fare as what is being served in the dining room, but served in individual, covered dishes and smaller portions. Smaller selection of desserts, too. 

Lunch in the lounge is not the same as lunch in the dining room. Lunch in the lounge is basically soup, salad, and sandwich buffet with maybe a light pasta entree. In four cruises we have never had lunch in the dining room. We just don’t care for a heavy meal at lunch. 

They will also have at least one lunch “barbecue” on the top deck on a pretty day.  
burgers, sausage, grilled chicken, fries.  It’s kind of fun.  Longer cruises may get two of these.  

• Like 1

Ok... I understood the Bistro was more like JVilleGal had, where it was a separate seating area for a small number of guests.

We enjoyed the dining room for lunch...with the buffet, we were able to eat as much as we wished, my husband could have a heavier lunch, and I would fill up on salad & fresh fruit.  I think I was clearing out the fruit platters on breakfast & lunch everyday...it was hard to come home as we missed it!

Do remember that your Master Bedroom closet is probably bigger than the kitchen on a River Boat. It’s a miracle what they manage to produce in such tiny quarters. This is why there is one seating and courses are served one at a time to the entire dining room. They can’t be making you a salad when they are in the middle of the main course. Immediately after the guests are finished the crew gets to eat!

A not to miss lunch is the German Buffet! Oh my 

• Like 1

Laundry service was great on Avalon. And no the River Boats are too small to have Guest Self Laundry. For years I was the queen of choosing my Cruise Ship cabin based on location “near” the Guest Laundry. Thank god I got over that.

i no longer look at the prices, figure if I can afford to sail Avalon, Regent, or whom ever then I can afford to not waste a single minute in the Laundry and I just send it out. I left the Avalon boat owing for about $100 for alcohol (a first for such a small Bill) and $125 for laundry.... 15 day sailing two people! I was happy, hubby happy and I didn’t spend hours trying to wash undies in the sink or stress about dealing with it.

My advice send it out and enjoy your trip you have earned it!

PS I only wore about a third of what I brought. Life is very casual on the River!

They don’t monitor or care if you bring your own alcohol. Just remember that beer and wine are free- and free flowing- at lunch and dinner. Prosecco/ mimosas at breakfast, too. 
The wines are excellent and reflect the area you’re sailing through. A red/ white/ and blush, as well as a Sparking, are available every night. 

Reconsider packing a different outfit for every day. Mix and match.  Repeat every other day or so. No one will notice.  No one will care.  
We do 10-14 day cruises with a 20 inch carryon, and a little tote bag each.  

Don’t forget your electrical adapters. And an extension cord!