All Things Avalon

FuelScience

I thought I read somewhere that we are allowed 1 suitcase each.

Is that true?

We don't pack light I'm afraid! We usually have 1 really large suitcase each with 1 extra small to medium one.

Also what kind of outlets will our ship have? Do we need to bring our own adaptors?

Thanks,

Chris

I thought I read somewhere that we are allowed 1 suitcase each.

Is that true?

We don't pack light I'm afraid! We usually have 1 really large suitcase each with 1 extra small to medium one.

Also what kind of outlets will our ship have? Do we need to bring our own adaptors?

Thanks,

Chris

Does not apply to Europe cruises! Under your bed is room for 4 or more suitcases.

Avalon's documents do state porterage of 1 suitcase per passenger. However you can bring more. I'm leaving on Sunday & we are each taking 2 checked bags. We will tip a bit extra since we are bringing a 2nd bag. It really isn't a problem.

Avalon has European outlets so you will need adapters.

There is no restriction for Avalon going to Europe.

Avalon's documents do state porterage of 1 suitcase per passenger. However you can bring more. I'm leaving on Sunday & we are each taking 2 checked bags. We will tip a bit extra since we are bringing a 2nd bag. It really isn't a problem.

If you re-read the contract the limitation is that they will pay gratuities in hotels for only one bag and that the actual one bag limitation is for destinations OTHER THAN Europe.

FROM Avalon Terms & Conditions:

LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE

58.Porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person is included in the vacation price. Airport/train station porterage is not included, unless otherwise specified in your travel documents. Be prepared to carry your own suitcase on and off airplanes and trains and through airports and train stations. Regulations within most airports require travelers to handle their own luggage through customs.

59.Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30"x21"x11" and weight not exceeding 50lbs (22kg). We regret that we are unable to accept a second suitcase or any luggage exceeding these limits on any Avalon vacation outside of Europe. Some vacations have more restrictive regulations than those listed above. Refer to your Travel Documents for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that all Avalon ships have European-style outlets. Adapter needed.

FuelScience

Bring adapters and converters. They had a limited number at the reception desk for guests to borrow if they did not bring their own, but I wouldn't depend on them being available when you needed them. We found there were more than enough outlets in the cabin for our electrical things. Also, plenty of space under your bed to store luggage. We had 3 large pieces and two small pieces. We don't travel lightly either.:)

Cole

Oh sorry, another question.

Our optional shore excursions just opened up today.

I've read many times that we don't need to book those until we are on board and I would prefer to wait. I'd like to get some input from the cruise director and if we're just too tired to do something we wouldn't be committed. But I'm nervous about it! What's you alls advice?

Also, I didn't realize a couple of the ports have 2 or 3 included excursions that we need to choose from...again I'm nervous about waiting...

We are sailing Budapest to Prague on the Danube if that might affect your advice.

Thanks,

Chris

Oh sorry, another question.

Our optional shore excursions just opened up today.

I've read many times that we don't need to book those until we are on board and I would prefer to wait. I'd like to get some input from the cruise director and if we're just too tired to do something we wouldn't be committed. But I'm nervous about it! What's you alls advice?

Also, I didn't realize a couple of the ports have 2 or 3 included excursions that we need to choose from...again I'm nervous about waiting...

We are sailing Budapest to Prague on the Danube if that might affect your advice.

Thanks,

Chris

You don't have to be nervous for waiting. There will beplenty of room. I myself, like to decide beforehand, because personally, I don't want to think about it once I'm on the ship. I am trying another line this time, and I have the excursions I want to participate all circled and ready to go. There is no booking until you are on board. The one thing about the optional excursions on Avalon is that they cost money and once you commit, you can't change your mind that day and say I don't want to go. . .The CD has to hire the busses the guides, etc. So a good thing to do is do your research. Then if need be you can talk to the CD as to how strenuous the excursion is once you get on the ship and make an informed decision.

You don't have to be nervous for waiting. There will beplenty of room. I myself, like to decide beforehand, because personally, I don't want to think about it once I'm on the ship. I am trying another line this time, and I have the excursions I want to participate all circled and ready to go. There is no booking until you are on board. The one thing about the optional excursions on Avalon is that they cost money and once you commit, you can't change your mind that day and say I don't want to go. . .The CD has to hire the busses the guides, etc. So a good thing to do is do your research. Then if need be you can talk to the CD as to how strenuous the excursion is once you get on the ship and make an informed decision.

You will be fine waiting, and the CD will have a talk about all the excursions both included and extra.

I am the same way. I pay for as much as I can before we leave so I don't have to pay anything more than necessary while we are on vacation.

Thanks for the help on that question...

Unfortunately I'm thinking of them one at a time.

We will be traveling for awhile...how is the laundry service? Both quality and price?

I generally wouldn't give them any of my very favorite things, but my husband would!

Thanks yet again,

Chris

Unfortunately I'm thinking of them one at a time.

We will be traveling for awhile...how is the laundry service? Both quality and price?

I generally wouldn't give them any of my very favorite things, but my husband would!

Thanks yet again,

Chris

I tried to pack light (rarely works) but I did use the laundry service very often. Everything came back beautiful either folder or on hangers. As for prices I frankly did not look and that was intentional. If DH & I could pay a bloody fortune for the cruise then we could certainly afford laundry. This is a big change from my cruise days of picking a cabin based on proximity to passenger laundry rooms. After 15 days on board and having clothes needing cleaning when boarding I believe we had a $75 ish laundry bill.

Your on vacation, send it out... :)

I also use the laundry frequently. Everything comes back looking great! The prices are a little bit lower than hotels but you get much faster service.

I take nothing but old underpanties with me and discard at the end of the day. More room for shopping that way!

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks yet again,

Chris

If you click on the link below, and scroll down about half way, you'll see a photo of an Avalon laundry price list from 2012. Click on the photo, and it should be large enough to read.

FuelScience

http://www.avidcruiser.com/2012/07/24/avalon-creativity-cruise-review-seven-days-on-the-seine-does-avalon-measure-up/

Thanks everyone!

I'll tell you RCCL sure does know how to wreck some clothes. So good news that they do a good job!

JVille I love your attitude...and am glad to hear others paid a bloody fortune as well! We've been making big monthly payments on this cruise...glad final payment has come & gone!!

Chris

You'll have a fabulous time! Send those clothes out and if you are like my husband just don't look at the prices. I'm sure they are fine but it's easier just to fill out the darn form and head out to enjoy your day. That lovely cabin is just too lovely and the bathroom too gorgeous to have wet undies hanging everywhere :)

Remember it's a trip of a lifetime!

You'll have a fabulous time! Send those clothes out and if you are like my husband just don't look at the prices. I'm sure they are fine but it's easier just to fill out the darn form and head out to enjoy your day. That lovely cabin is just too lovely and the bathroom too gorgeous to have wet undies hanging everywhere :)

Remember it's a trip of a lifetime!

LOVE the attitude. Same here.

We are booked on our first river cruise with Avalon - Danube Discovery, on Impression- in early September. I have tried to get on the "MyAvalon" part of their website to look at excursions etc- but it looks as if UK pax don't have access to it via the Avalon UK site. :( Any Brits out there who have managed it?

We are booked on our first river cruise with Avalon - Danube Discovery, on Impression- in early September. I have tried to get on the "MyAvalon" part of their website to look at excursions etc- but it looks as if UK pax don't have access to it via the Avalon UK site. :( Any Brits out there who have managed it?

The optional excursions won't show for purchase until you are 90 days from your trip (at least on the US site). If you put in your itinerary number and get your invoice. You should see a red colored link to get an Overview. Click on that. You should go to the page that shows your cruise and if you scroll down a bit you will see "Highlights, Day-by-Day, and then Excursions." Click on Excursions. It should show you what will be available. It was spot on for what was available for me to purchase.

The optional excursions won't show for purchase until you are 90 days from your trip (at least on the US site). If you put in your itinerary number and get your invoice. You should see a red colored link to get an Overview. Click on that. You should go to the page that shows your cruise and if you scroll down a bit you will see "Highlights, Day-by-Day, and then Excursions." Click on Excursions. It should show you what will be available. It was spot on for what was available for me to purchase.

I have registered on MyAvalon but it will not recognise my UK booking number. It must be in a different format than the US invoice numbers. I did manage to see the list of possible excursions though. Are they worth the extra money?

I have registered on MyAvalon but it will not recognise my UK booking number. It must be in a different format than the US invoice numbers. I did manage to see the list of possible excursions though. Are they worth the extra money?

I have taken the optional excursions on the Seine and Rhine and the guides were always knowledgeable and helpful. Which tours are you looking at? Sometimes it's possible to do things independently.