Trekking poles

sailing canary

. Or do the expedition ships provide them?

Thanks

When we sailed with Quark in Antarctica, they supplied trekking poles. But at times, due to number of poles and guests, only one pole per person was available. This was OK as footing wasn't very treacherous. I noticed some couples shared their single pole to make a full pair for one.

I recommend checking with your expedition company about the availability of poles and whether you can use personal poles. If using your own poles, it would be handy to have poles that breakdown into a short size that can fit in a knapsack. You need your hands to be free when boarding a Zodiac.

Bob

We have never felt the need to use poles as they are just something else to carry and our boots, supplied by the ship (Fram), have always offered good grip. However, as already suggested, check with your company if you feel you might need them.

I took one collapsible pole in February and I am very glad I did. When getting in and out of zodiacs, crew took it from me and then once settled passed it back so it was in no way a problem to handle. My balance is not great and either are my knees. I took great advantage of my 'third leg' in several tricky spots. It meant I could more easily get up from rocky shores and maneuver through 'penguin highways' which are pathways created by penguins and sometimes they can be quite deep.

...and maneuver through 'penguin highways' which are pathways created by penguins and sometimes they can be quite deep.

Most (all?) expedition teams will insist that 'penguin highways' should be left strictly to the penguins and not be encroached on at all by 'visitors'.

I was happy to have a single pole with me on some wet, steep rocky areas.... I'd brought my own (a collapsible), but there were plenty on our ship (Nat Geo Explorer). Check with your provider about whether poles will be provided if you don't want to bring your own.

• 2 months later...

Several passengers on the Rotterdam's recent Iceland/Greenland TA had poles, although many only had one.

I bought a pair of collapsible poles for our forthcoming Zaandam Christmas cruise. I plan to use them. If not, they are not heavy.

• 4 weeks later...