Naples city itself

2cruise5

We have a tour booked to Herculaneum, Sorrento and Positano but it's looking like we might have to ditch it as no one else has signed up yet.

This will be my 3rd trip to the area so I've done almost most places (Herculaneum not being one of them).

I'm actually quite interested to visit Naples itself however. Can anyone recommend places to go, things to do, places to eat. I've heard there's a hop on hop off too.

There is a HOHO bus in Naples. They have three routes, although one of them has limited hours (it used to be weekends only, I'm not sure what it is right now). It is expensive, however. If you are planning to just ride around the cost may make sense but if you're looking to use it mostly as transportation you can get around much less expensively using public transit.

There's a brand new metro station across from the cruise port at Piazza Municipio which you can use to get directly to the archaeology museum, if you're interested.

There's also a new shuttle van service that goes from Piazza Trieste e Trento (near the royal palace/opera house/galleria, not far at all from the cruise port) directly to the art museum Capodimonte. The round trip cost is €12 and includes the ticket for the museum. (If you get there on your own the entry ticket is €7,50.)

Other amazing sites in Naples include the museo San Severo (with its famous "Veiled Christ" sculpture: http://www.museosansevero.it/en/), the cloisters, museum and archaeological site of Santa Chiara (http://monasterodisantachiaraing.jimdo.com/photo-gallery/), the museum on the cliff overlooking the port, Certosa di San Martino, with an excellent collection of the Christmas figures that Naples is famous for, and much more. You can look through the options here: http://www.campaniartecard.it/pdf/Campania_artecard_Guida_Napoli.pdf

We give Euro Cruiser credit for spurring us to spend more time in Naples (most recently we were there last month). It actually is a city with its own charm and can be a lot of fun. We echo "Euro's) about the Museo San Severo...which we would mention is difficult to find among the maze of streets in that part of town (so have a decent map and do not hesitate to ask locals for directions).

For "Euro's" benefit we finally had pizza (last month) at the very famous Da Michele :). Even though it was off season, we still waited out in the street for about 45 min before we got into the crowded pizza parlor. While their pizza was very good (they only have 2 basic kinds) we thought it was somewhat overrated when compared to other pizza we have had in Naples. But to their credit, Da Michele, has kept their prices very low when compared to many other pizza places.

Hank

We give Euro Cruiser credit for spurring us to spend more time in Naples (most recently we were there last month). It actually is a city with its own charm and can be a lot of fun. We echo "Euro's) about the Museo San Severo...which we would mention is difficult to find among the maze of streets in that part of town (so have a decent map and do not hesitate to ask locals for directions).

For "Euro's" benefit we finally had pizza (last month) at the very famous Da Michele :). Even though it was off season, we still waited out in the street for about 45 min before we got into the crowded pizza parlor. While their pizza was very good (they only have 2 basic kinds) we thought it was somewhat overrated when compared to other pizza we have had in Naples. But to their credit, Da Michele, has kept their prices very low when compared to many other pizza places.

Hank

Thanks Hank. I've been interested in trying the pizza also from Da Michele. A) because I am huge pizza fan and B) because my name is Michele so it comes with it's own desired photo shot. I have not had high hopes for it but am interested to go to experience it.

There is a HOHO bus in Naples. They have three routes, although one of them has limited hours (it used to be weekends only, I'm not sure what it is right now). It is expensive, however. If you are planning to just ride around the cost may make sense but if you're looking to use it mostly as transportation you can get around much less expensively using public transit.

There's a brand new metro station across from the cruise port at Piazza Municipio which you can use to get directly to the archaeology museum, if you're interested.

There's also a new shuttle van service that goes from Piazza Trieste e Trento (near the royal palace/opera house/galleria, not far at all from the cruise port) directly to the art museum Capodimonte. The round trip cost is €12 and includes the ticket for the museum. (If you get there on your own the entry ticket is €7,50.)

Other amazing sites in Naples include the museo San Severo (with its famous "Veiled Christ" sculpture: http://www.museosansevero.it/en/), the cloisters, museum and archaeological site of Santa Chiara (http://monasterodisantachiaraing.jimdo.com/photo-gallery/), the museum on the cliff overlooking the port, Certosa di San Martino, with an excellent collection of the Christmas figures that Naples is famous for, and much more. You can look through the options here: http://www.campaniartecard.it/pdf/Campania_artecard_Guida_Napoli.pdf

Thank you. I am very interested in the archaeological museum as I have heard great things. I'll have a look through all the suggestions.

Does anyone have an opinion of these sites and an easy way of getting to them from the port area? We are visiting the Naples Archeological museum and Musco Cappella Sansevero. Taking the metro and walking back. It looks like all directions to the Castel Sant' Elmo is up steep hills

Thanks

Dave

We were in Naples on April 26. Loved it. Walked off the ship and just wandered around the town. First we went to the Duomo and things around it, then wandered along the Spaccanapoli and the side streets of the old city. Stopped in at several churches, but the best were San Gregorio Armeno, San Domenic Maggiore and Jesu Nuovo. Also visited Santa Chiara: church, cloister and museum. Wandered the Spanish quarter and returned to the port by the Via Toledo. With a little more time and less sore feet, I would have taken the funicular up to San Martino for the views across the bay.

Loved watching the street life, being in it and part of it for a while. The bustle of the Via Vecchia and Via Tribunali, the quiet of Santa Chiara, the smell of the laundry on the balconies of the Spanish quarter, eating fresh sfogliatella in a courtyard while listening to a piano lesson coming from the windows above. I want to go back to Naples someday.

Note - the churches seem to close at 2:00, so I planned to see them early in the day.

Edited by cc_rider

We were in Naples twice on our b2b cruises on the Jade February of 2015. On our second time there, we just walked around the city and had an enjoyable visit. If planning to eat at Da Michelle, go early, like before 12 to avoid the line. Some pictures here of our day there.

Best meal we ever had in Italy ( all the meals were great) was at Brandi the 1st pizza place in Naples , pizza, pasta and wine were all great, also only a couple of blocks from Galleria, very reasonable price

Does anyone have an opinion of these sites and an easy way of getting to them from the port area? We are visiting the Naples Archeological museum and Musco Cappella Sansevero. Taking the metro and walking back. It looks like all directions to the Castel Sant' Elmo is up steep hills

This can be easily done, including getting up the hill if you are interested.

The metro to the museum is easy and quick from the cruise port. The second entrance to the metro has opened and it's a tad closer to the cruise port than the first one. Just walk up Piazza Municipio on the right side (as you face it with your back to the cruise port) and you'll see the entrance on the left.

From the museum to Cappella San Severeo is an easy half mile walk, slightly downhill.

After visiting San Severo you could stop at the beautiful cloisters of Santa Chiara, if that's of interest. The ticket to enter includes a museum with relatively recently uncovered ruins. http://www.monasterodisantachiara.com/

If not, or if you'd really like to get up the mountain and see either/both Castel Sant'Elmo or the amazing museum at San Martino, you can walk along the Spaccanapoli (Via Benedetto Croce at this point) to Via Toledo, turn left onto Toledo and walk down the hill to the Centrale funicular. The total distance from San Severo is about a mile.

I will warn you, however, that even with the funicular there is still some climbing to get to the top of the hill. There are outdoor escaltors to help get up the worst of it but some uphill walking is required.

We have a tour booked to Herculaneum, Sorrento and Positano but it's looking like we might have to ditch it as no one else has signed up yet.

This will be my 3rd trip to the area so I've done almost most places (Herculaneum not being one of them).

I'm actually quite interested to visit Naples itself however. Can anyone recommend places to go, things to do, places to eat. I've heard there's a hop on hop off too.

I did the HOHO bus in Naples last week. I thought it was great. It was €22 for the two main routes or €25 if you wanted to do the third route which was on the smaller bus that could go down the small narrow streets. Highly recommend. Was my first time there and thought it was a great way to see everything. Especially the crazy driving habits....lol

We were in Naples May 7 and had a great time. We covered these places over a half-day walk from the port, so it would be possible to add a few more of the many sights or museum:

Castel Nuovo, Piazza del Plebiscito, via Toledo - stopping into Galleria Umberto 1, Gesu Nuovo church - beautiful inside and out, Spaccanapoli with a very nice coffee stop at 'O Barett's, Cappella Sansevero for the veiled Christ (stunning).

There is an information desk in the cruise terminal with city maps.