Roatan? Little French Key or Maya Key? Best snorkeling?

We have been to Maya Key and liked it. We have never been to Little French Key. We love good snorkeling. Which is better? How far away from Coxen hole to get to little French Key?

Would love to hear your comparison of the 2 keys and which you prefer and why.

Thanks so much for any info!

(I posted first on the ports of call page and didn't get any responses:).

We loved Little French Key, my husband paid extra to go on a boat out to the reef and it was the best snorkeling he had ever done. We enjoyed our day there and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Only one boat in port that day. Never been to the other one, sorry.

Same as above, we have never done Maya Key, but we absolutely loved Little French Key! It was my favorite port that cruise. We did some snorkeling, but it was very cold and windy so I didn't last too long in the water. There are a ton of other fun things to do all day though!

I did a snorkel tour with Roatan Ocean adventures, which included snorkeling from a boat at multiple sites close to Little French Key and Big French Key, ending with a beach break on BFK (but the two small islands are only separated by a little shallow passage).

There's some limited snorkeling accessible directly from the beach, but if you want good snorkeling, you can hire a boat to take you to some fabulous spots just off the islands.

From Coxen Hole, I think it was about a 20 minute or so ride out to the area, then maybe a 5-10 minute boat trip between the main shore and LFK/BFK.

In March of this year we took the private tour to little French key paid the extra for the meal and boat snorkel it was well worth it, we are doing the same trip in February 2017 and again will do the Private tour to Littke French Key.

Can you do Little French Key through the ship or only through a private party? What company do you recommend?

You can "reserve" directly through their website. http://www.littlefrenchkey.com Basically, you just tell them you are coming - no deposit or anything, just pay (in cash so you don't have to pay a 15% surcharge) when you get there.

We did it in early April. We didn't snorkel, but we loved LFK and will return next time we are in Roatan.

Loving the info! For those of you that went to LFK and took the boat to the snorkel site, was the reef really good and thriving with fish? We are going in October and are coming in to Coxen Hole. Hoping the same shuttle driver doesn't have to also go to Mahogony Bay to pick up passengers. Wanting to get there as quickly as possible:)!

I have never been to either, however, if you do a search on Cruise Critic for Mitsugirly, any of her reviews whether on Carnival or Norwegian, if you look in her signature, she has a link JUST for LFK.

She LOVED it.

She has been twice now.

TONS of pictures of the snorkeling. She is an AVID snorkeler.

Plus, I have read many other RAVE reviews of LFK. Good Luck!!!:D

You can "reserve" directly through their website. http://www.littlefrenchkey.com Basically, you just tell them you are coming - no deposit or anything, just pay (in cash so you don't have to pay a 15% surcharge) when you get there.

We did it in early April. We didn't snorkel, but we loved LFK and will return next time we are in Roatan.

Thank You

Not familiar with those two places in Roatan but we always take a cab to West Bay (usually get dropped off at Bananarama) and then walk to the left to where Tabayana Beach is (only private excursions will take you there, but you can go in the water and can snorkel the reef of Tabayana). Best reef that I have ever seen anywhere snorkeling from shore.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We loved Little French Key and loved it, my husband said it was the best snorkeling he had done (had only snorkeled the caribbean). It is extra, not much, they take you out to the reef on a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Little French Key is amazing - from Coxen - it is about 20 minutes. You can ONLY go direct through them - you cannot book through the ship.

I have never done the snorkeling there, but my wife has raved about her scuba adventures with LFK. It's so well run and the guys there now how to handle the cruise ship thing. We were last ones off the beach and a group of 12 could not get on the bus. They scrambled, got their taxi buddies and got us back to the ship with 30 minutes to spare. They boast no one has ever missed the ship with them and did not plan to do so with us.

Beautiful beach, good party, good food, STRONG drinks, and a zoo to boot - you can't go wrong with LFK.

We had looked into going to Daniel Johnsons sloth and monkey hangout perhaps in 2020. Our daughter who is currently 6 is into sloths and that looks like a different and interesting thing to do. We had almost booked a cruise for 2019 that involved that stop but chose another because we aren't interested in going back to Costa Maya until the sea grass overload gets cleaned up. Experienced that last month and it was a mess although it was no ones fault. More of a strange ocean current and weather pattern that piled up all the beaches there with the stinky stuff.

WE snorkeled both sides of the island over the years and prefer the West End,

15fr59s.jpg divers passing under us, but the reef is gorgeous

2h4j6zn.jpg

Been to Maya Key when they called it Fins N Flippers. Its on the same side (East) as the French keys and a little rougher due to being on the Windward side. But the coral is a maze on West End...we needed help from the paddle board team to guide us back to the beach once...but we saw a huge octopus and tons of critters. Here's a pic from Maya Key:

4j6e4p.jpg

That's a little Jewel Damsel. I think we saw way more on the West side...but Little French Key is great for fun in the sun.

Have been to both. Didn’t take the boat at LFK but snorkeling was good from the beach, just have to be careful going through the maze or you could get in very shallow water. Maya Key like others say you walk out a pier that is about 200 feet long. You follow a rope which brings you to a steep drop off and very blue water. It all depends what you want to do. Maya Key seemed like there were less people but the beach wasn’t that great. However, there are a lot of things to see and explore especially the monkey encounter.

WEST BAY BEACH has the BEST snorkeling you will EVER experience! You can book the "Tabyanna Beach Break" on the ship, which will take you right to the reef. You can rent gear there, or bring your own. the Reef is about 30 yards off the beach, in very clear, calm waters. We have been five times & have two more cruises booked going there...….. they offer food, loungers, shade, there is even inflatables for the kids to play on. They have guys in Kayaks that for tip only will pull you all thru the reef & feed the fishes as you go along & you will be swarmed by the fishes..... you can also just grab a cab at the pier to go to West Bay Beach area, but it will cost much more than booking the ship sponsored excursion. There are tons of hotels, restaurants, places to just hang all along the beach...very clean & nice. There are water activities offered there as well...…… again...key word here ...is the BEST snorkeling on the island is found here.