Snorkeling with turtles

cruisingfromclt

We were at the Boatyard last month and did swim with the turtles from the boatyard boat.

If you are a decent swimmer the turtles are about 600 yards off the beach. The beach is free just look out on the water to see where all the boats are gathered, that's the spot wher the turtles are being baited (boats throw food to attract them) to hang around. It was crowed by the turtles when we were there and there was only one ship in port.

Ride back to the ship was included.

Hal

You said you went with the Boatyard, but then mentioned the beach where the turtles are located is a free beach. How do you know this? What is the name of the place there at that beach? :confused:

You said you went with the Boatyard, but then mentioned the beach where the turtles are located is a free beach. How do you know this? What is the name of the place there at that beach? :confused:

All beaches on Barbados are public. The Boatyard is located on Brownes Beach, one of several beaches along Carlisle Bay. While the Boatyard charges to use its facilities, the beach itself is public and "free" to use. Sea turtles are routinely encountered a fairly short distance off beaches in this area.

Edited by Skytrooper

All beaches on Barbados are public. The Boatyard is located on Brownes Beach, one of several beaches along Carlisle Bay. While the Boatyard charges to use its facilities, the beach itself is public and "free" to use. Sea turtles are routinely encountered a fairly short distance off beaches in this area.

Right. I know the beaches are free, just the way I read that post made it sound like it was a free beach facility, unlike the boatyard. What I actually was trying to figure out (either free facilities or not) was the name of the place that's there...the beach right in front of where the turtles are. ;) (For example telling the taxi driver you want them to take you to _______ will get you there in front of where the turtles are).

Barbados has numerous beaches "where the turtles are" but the distance to swim to reach them and the likelihood of seeing turtles will vary (partly on the season and partly if it's an area where people routinely feed turtles). On our last visit to Barbados, my wife and I rented chairs and an umbrella from Lobster Alive, right next to the Boatyard. We later walked farther along Brownes Beach. Several times we were approached by small boat operators wanting to take us a short distance offshore to snorkel with turtles. It's not unusual for people to swim directly from the beach to areas where turtles are being fed by boat operators.

During some of my previous visits to Barbados, I hired a taxi to the beach at Folkestone. I was repeatedly approached by locals wanting to take me in their small boat to "swim with turtles" for $20. I declined these offers, but watched them carry other tourists a short distance (probably 100 meters or so) offshore. I observed numerous people swim from the beach to where turtles were congregating.

Other Barbados beaches popular for seeing turtles include Worthing Beach, Paynes Bay, Alleynes Beach (or Bay), Treasure Beach, and Holetown Beach. What I would be leery about swimming from a beach to the turtles (depending on the beach and the distance) is the possibility of being hit by a passing boat or jet ski.

We saw a Turtle out of Browens beach. If you really want to see turtles go

on the Shasa snorkel/ swim with turtles! It is fantastic and we saw 9 turtles!

Is that a paid excursion? Just wondering because this "free" boat ride from the Boatyard had way more turtles than just 9. There were probably at least 20 or more when we went. So, just wondering.

Is that a paid excursion? Just wondering because this "free" boat ride from the Boatyard had way more turtles than just 9. There were probably at least 20 or more when we went. So, just wondering.

That was a paid tour to the turtles, also to a ship wreck... I didn't know there

was a free boat from boatyard.. but you pay to go to the boatyard don't you?

That was a paid tour to the turtles, also to a ship wreck... I didn't know there

was a free boat from boatyard.. but you pay to go to the boatyard don't you?

Oh ok. I do remember others talking about a shipwreck snorkel as well on paid tours.

The $20 to the Boatyard includes a drink, lounge chairs, and umbrella, with use to the facilities and the boat ride. Definitely worth it in my opinion since anyone that is going to a beach anyhow will still have to pay to rent chairs and umbrellas and so on. :)

Oh ok. I do remember others talking about a shipwreck snorkel as well on paid tours.

The $20 to the Boatyard includes a drink, lounge chairs, and umbrella, with use to the facilities and the boat ride. Definitely worth it in my opinion since anyone that is going to a beach anyhow will still have to pay to rent chairs and umbrellas and so on. :)

This is exactly what I will be doing, in part thanks to your review of the place. I have been on these "mini-tours" from the beach for $20. But since I've already been to the wreck and I prefer the turtle experience I will be taking the early Boatyard tour, which is included in the entry price.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the beach bar closest to where the boats take people to see the turtles is Harbour Lights. From there it's a straight shot to the turtles, but like a previous poster said, it is a long swim from shore. Being on one of the boats kindda skews the perspective on how far it really is from the beach to that spot.

This is exactly what I will be doing, in part thanks to your review of the place. I have been on these "mini-tours" from the beach for $20. But since I've already been to the wreck and I prefer the turtle experience I will be taking the early Boatyard tour, which is included in the entry price.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the beach bar closest to where the boats take people to see the turtles is Harbour Lights. From there it's a straight shot to the turtles, but like a previous poster said, it is a long swim from shore. Being on one of the boats kindda skews the perspective on how far it really is from the beach to that spot.

Yea, you're probably right about the distance, but I would still like to find some place new to go next time. I like experiencing new places. :D

We did a snorkeling excursion on the Stiletto Catamaran last time we did the southern itinerary. It was 5 hours with lunch, drinks, and two stops ( one was turtles and the other was the reef and topical fish). We will be doing it again on our up coming trip but only for 3 hours. We found the last 2 hours were nice with the lunch but would like to see some more sites before getting back on the boat.

For the 3 hour it is $60 and 5 hours is $80.

Edited by Wildgrits

• 4 weeks later...

Did the Boatyard also provide all of your snorkeling equipment?

They do for anyone that doesn't bring theirs (we did when we where there a month ago). They also require you wear a snorkeling vest (doesn't have to be inflated if you don't want to) and you can't use any type of water shoes or fins on their "tour".

They do for anyone that doesn't bring theirs (we did when we where there a month ago). They also require you wear a snorkeling vest (doesn't have to be inflated if you don't want to) and you can't use any type of water shoes or fins on their "tour".

Thank you! We have all of our own equipment but not sure if we are going to feel like packing it! haha The boatyard seems like a good option to snorkel with turtles as opposed to the $100 per person catamaran excursions offered through the ship!

Thank you! We have all of our own equipment but not sure if we are going to feel like packing it! haha The boatyard seems like a good option to snorkel with turtles as opposed to the $100 per person catamaran excursions offered through the ship!

It's all up to you and your plans. We were going to snorkel every island so, except for the fins, we decided to pack our own gear. We mostly stayed at the surface (although I did do some free diving for pics) so we didn't really have much need for the fins.

I would say that it is not necessary to bring it to this place. There's really not any snorkeling AT the boatyard, other than just having a look around the dock itself, where you will find some coral and fish, and possibly a starfish in the sand in the area and also TONS of sand dollars, but since they won't allow you to wear fins or anything, all you basically need is a mask/snorkel and you are good to go. You could just use theirs unless you want to have a look around the Boatyard for the above mentioned things to see. I wouldn't drag it all with me if I was you. :)

We went to Harbor Lights which is down the beach from Boatyard. It was $15 for chair and umbrella and for an extra $5 you get the snorkel tour. This was the best deal of our cruise. The snorkel boat just picks you up from the beach and goes a short distance to swim with turtles (we saw one) and then snorkel over shipwreck. This is a great way to spend the day if you are on a budget. They also have servers who will bring food drinks to beach, changing room, clean restroom, outdoor shower which is always nice to wash off salt water. We were dropped off here after another private tour so I am not sure of taxi price.DSCN7564_zps1s9ayvsq.jpg[/img]DSCN7564_zps1s9ayvsq.jpg[/img]

We have been avid snorkelers and divers for over forty years and love spotting sea turtles. Our own experience is that when we are looking for turtles they are not to be seen. But when we least expect it, they seem to appear :). Most recently (about 10 days ago) we spotted some gorgeous Green Turtles while snorkeling off Bonaire. We have never spotted one on Barbados...but will sure be looking when we return in early Dec.

Hank

We went to Harbor Lights which is down the beach from Boatyard. It was $15 for chair and umbrella and for an extra $5 you get the snorkel tour. This was the best deal of our cruise. The snorkel boat just picks you up from the beach and goes a short distance to swim with turtles (we saw one) and then snorkel over shipwreck. This is a great way to spend the day if you are on a budget. They also have servers who will bring food drinks to beach, changing room, clean restroom, outdoor shower which is always nice to wash off salt water. We were dropped off here after another private tour so I am not sure of taxi price.DSCN7564_zps1s9ayvsq.jpg[/img]DSCN7564_zps1s9ayvsq.jpg[/img]

DSCN7564_zps1s9ayvsq.jpgDSCN7585_zpszz4dsadc.jpg

This sounds like a good deal as well. I think I will check them out next time I come there (hopefully next year).

This sounds like a good deal as well. I think I will check them out next time I come there (hopefully next year).

Seems like I might have to research Harbour Lights a little more as well for my next trip. We didn't have the luck you had with the tour from The Boatyard and we weren't in the water not even for 15 minutes. No snorkeling over the shipwreck either (but we knew this).

• 3 months later...
If you want a cheap day, just head to The Boatyard ($20pp), which includes a chair and umbrella and a welcome drink AND it also INCLUDES a boat ride out to the turtles to swim with them. We had an amazing day there.

A full review is located HERE and there's TONS of pictures. :)

I am confused. People have said that it costs $20 pp to get in the Boatyard and that gets you a drink, chair and umbrellas. The vendors will come around and offer to take you on a boat ride for $20 pp. You said it is included. I am confused?