First Cruise Sept 7 Volendam

Joannedisfan

My parents are doing an Alaska Cruise in September with Holland America and we are thinking of going as well. We would be doing the Sept 7th cruise on the Volendam. Departure time is 5pm and it arrives back at 7am Sept 14th.

I'm totally new to this and am trying to figure out flights, etc. My options are arriving in right around Noon on the 7th or flying the day before and getting a hotel. I've read that most people recommend flying the day before and I'm leaning towards that option. My only concern is my kids missing too many days of school. But there is a flight out at 3pm so my kids wouldn't have to miss the whole day of school.

On my way home I'm not sure how early I could book a flight out of Vancouver. Is it possible to make a Noon flight?

Also any just good advice for our first cruise would be appreciated.

My parents are doing an Alaska Cruise in September with Holland America and we are thinking of going as well. We would be doing the Sept 7th cruise on the Volendam. Departure time is 5pm and it arrives back at 7am Sept 14th.

I'm totally new to this and am trying to figure out flights, etc. My options are arriving in right around Noon on the 7th or flying the day before and getting a hotel. I've read that most people recommend flying the day before and I'm leaning towards that option. My only concern is my kids missing too many days of school. But there is a flight out at 3pm so my kids wouldn't have to miss the whole day of school.

On my way home I'm not sure how early I could book a flight out of Vancouver. Is it possible to make a Noon flight?

Also any just good advice for our first cruise would be appreciated.

Flying the day before is the best . Arriving at noon can be problematic . Arriving the night before is OK. Noon flights are the safest from Vancouver International.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and it's wealth of information from first hand experiences. Your kids will have a lot to learn on their cruise, whatever their ages. Although I understand wanting to minimize time away form their schools, they will remember what they learn during their Alaska cruise experience better than their class lessons!

I don't know from where you are flying to Vancouver, but arriving at noon is very tight, especially if you are not a Canadian. And the deck is stacked against you for all the "what ifs" that could go wrong.

Are there more flight options to Seattle than to Vancouver? You could fly there late the day before cruise departure, spend a night near the SEA-TAC airport more economically, and do a transfer by bus the morning of the cruise departure; choices for the transfer would be either through the cruise line or independently, more info available on the Departure Ports forum of Cruise Critic - link from the main boards page to West Coast North America Departure Ports is http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

If per person transfer prices are prohibitive you could consider a 1-way car rental. Ask more on the departure ports forum.

We took our grandkids to Alaska r/t Vancouver and they all loved it. It's fun to see the world through the eyes of the young! Having 3 generations experience it together - priceless! Enjoy! And congratulations on your first cruise! m--

I agree -- fly in the day before. You do not want to start your cruise stressed out. Too many things can go wrong -- plane has mechanical problems (a big one for us lately) and doesn't leave on time.

Book a flight home anytime after 1. Gives you time to get off the ship, get a taxi, get through Vancouver airport.

Thanks. I will look for flights the day before and probably also the day after the cruise. It will be me, my husband and our 2 kids 16, and 5. Our son turns 6 just 2 days after the cruise and our daughter has a birthday 12 days later.

Originally the cruise was going to be my parents and my mom's 2 sisters and their husbands. Now it's turned into a bit of a family vacation with my brother and sister-in-law and their 3 yr old also going.

I do have 1 question. What do the rooms look like with the upper bunk. I've tried searching the internet and can find pics of other ships, but not the volendam.

Thanks. I will look for flights the day before and probably also the day after the cruise. It will be me, my husband and our 2 kids 16, and 5. Our son turns 6 just 2 days after the cruise and our daughter has a birthday 12 days later.

Originally the cruise was going to be my parents and my mom's 2 sisters and their husbands. Now it's turned into a bit of a family vacation with my brother and sister-in-law and their 3 yr old also going.

I do have 1 question. What do the rooms look like with the upper bunk. I've tried searching the internet and can find pics of other ships, but not the volendam.

We had our grandkids on Volendam - 2 rooms, both porthole rooms. I was in one room with the 3 girls; DH and grandson had the adjacent room. Youngest slept in the overhead bunk. I sent photos to a website you can find if you search for HAL photos and facts. We are not allowed to cite links to outside cruise-related websites as per the sticky-note guidelines at the top of this forum. If you can't find it you may email me at rmlincoln hotmail com ... make an email address out of that info and put CC in your subject title.

If you have a different type of room than we had, such as a balcony or a suite with the bed longitudinal with the ship rather than crosswise, you may still find pictures of the bunk configuration by looking for Volendam's sister ships: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam on the hal facts site that CCers have contributed to and a few special, hard-working folks built.

For us the bunk bed worked best with the lower beds separated. Sounds like you will need the bunk and the couch too but it will all work.

And if you need to, you can use the showers n the spa to lessen the congestion in the room... bathrooms too. Enjoy, m--

Thanks, I found the pictures. Helps me to know what to expect. Did any of your grand kids use the Kids Program? Is the kids area current or rather outdated?

I'm also starting to look at Excursions. Can anyone recommend good excursions for kids?

I'm also starting to look at Excursions. Can anyone recommend good excursions for kids?

Dogsledding. The dogsled rides are fun, but not all that great in and of themselves.

But there's time to play with the puppies, as well as some of the older dogs, afterwards. Bring some dog biscuits along, and your kids will be the most popular people the dogs want to be with.

RMLincoln's suggestion of using spa showers is helpful although, locker rooms can be crowded with a lack of lockers, especially on sea days. Good luck with four women in the same room.

It will be 1 Adult Male, 1 Adult Female, 1 Teenage Girl and a almost 6 yr old Boy. He actually turns 6 2 days after the cruise. The teenager turns 17 10 days after the cruise.