How to get hard mattress fixed

We have been on many cruises and the mattresses on the Royal ships we have been on (10+) have always been very firm. We have complained every time. Our room stewards have always tried their best, but the mattress still is terrible.

I have spoken to the Hotel Director on a few ships without success. I have been told they have no interest/plans to change their supplier.

When we booked our last cruise, I requested a mattress pad. No luck.

Is there any other way to fix this problem

Is

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by margeecruiser

We have been on many cruises and the mattresses on the Royal ships we have been on (10+) have always been very firm. We have complained every time. Our room stewards have always tried their best, but the mattress still is terrible.

I have spoken to the Hotel Director on a few ships without success. I have been told they have no interest/plans to change their supplier.

Is

We've never had a mattress that was too hard. If what you are used to sleeping on at home is softer than the cruise line's, I have no answer. If Royal changed to softer bedding, someone would complain to the hotel director about that too.

We've never had a mattress that was too hard. If what you are used to sleeping on at home is softer than the cruise line's, I have no answer. If Royal changed to softer bedding, someone would complain to the hotel director about that too.

While I've never had a mattress too hard either, its been a really frequent topic of discussion since about the last time Freedom went in for re-fit. (also cushions on deck chairs in suites. There has been so many discussions in the past 18 months as compared to the previous 8 years I can't dismiss this as one user's preference.

I did note that the mattress on my Oasis cruise 2 weeks ago had one of the eggcrate type toppers on it without any request from us. Perhaps it was left on from the previous guest.

Edited by BillOh

I request 2 mattress toppers in advance. They don't use egg crates anymore. Usually the cabin steward gets them for us if it's not on his list.

As mentioned, I had one on Oasis 4/30/16. ( I didn't request it)

Is

This seems like an oddly egocentric post. Some people prefer firmer mattresses, some softer. As with any hotel operator, I'm sure Royal has found what they find to be the best fit for the most people. Why you think your individual complaint would make them change their approach is a little baffling.

Even more odd, you've gone on 10+ cruises and "complained every time". Maybe Royal just isn't for you???

Just completed a 9 day cruise on the Anthem and I must say it was the worst mattress I ever slept on. I usually find cruise ship beds very comfortable, along with the lull of rocking, get the best sleep ever.

Not so on the Anthem. Too bad if they changed the type of mattress they use now.; need to request a topper in the future.

On our most recent cruise the mattress was very hard. I sleep on a firm mattress at home, and have never had trouble on a previous RCI cruise, but this was painful. We spoke to our steward and he put an egg crate topper on it, it was then much improved.

If toppers are becoming difficult to get onboard, as iluvcruisin suggests, then I'd consider bringing one from home.

This seems like an oddly egocentric post. Some people prefer firmer mattresses, some softer. As with any hotel operator, I'm sure Royal has found what they find to be the best fit for the most people. Why you think your individual complaint would make them change their approach is a little baffling.

Even more odd, you've gone on 10+ cruises and "complained every time". Maybe Royal just isn't for you???

Ummmm... nail - head - HIT.

I disembarked Anthem on May 5, and have had a pinched nerve in my back and lingering sciatica from sleeping on their rock-hard bed ever since. I've been to two doctors and to physical therapy, with minimal relief. The same thing happened after my Quantum cruise.

Interestingly, I took a cruise on Anthem back in March, and the mattress was fine - no back/nerve issues. If I ever cruise Anthem again, it will be in the same cabin as my March cruise.

I sleep on a therapeutic pillow at home, and I think I will have to add it to my cruise packing list.

I sleep on a therapeutic pillow at home, and I think I will have to add it to my cruise packing list.

Land or sea, DW and I never leave home for a holiday without our pillows. It makes such a difference!

I disembarked Anthem on May 5, and have had a pinched nerve in my back and lingering sciatica from sleeping on their rock-hard bed ever since. I've been to two doctors and to physical therapy, with minimal relief. The same thing happened after my Quantum cruise.

Interestingly, I took a cruise on Anthem back in March, and the mattress was fine - no back/nerve issues. If I ever cruise Anthem again, it will be in the same cabin as my March cruise.

Interesting - my wife suffers from back problems and the only time she gets complete relief is when we go on a cruise . 2 weeks on anthem last year and her back was great - no pain at all. Then on ovation in April and again - sore back disappeared. I would describe the mattresses as firm but comfortable. I guess as in all areas different people like different things.

Well, leisure traveler, you are ever so helpful. Bless your heart!

I did not have trouble on my cruises several years ago. I don't know exactly when the mattresses were changed, but they are definitely very hard.

I requested the mattresses have toppers on my booking form. I will definitely email the special needs department before our next cruise. When my room stewards have been able to get one a few times, it really helped. They do not always have them, however.

My real question for the folks here is to get to the bottom of the problem. There have been dozens of complaints on these boards regarding the hard beds. There have been many letters written to Miami headquarters without any resolution, to my knowledge

I will write another email letter just to feel like I have added to the list of unhappy cruisers. Does anyone have the email address and person who could best respond to this issue?

Thanks to all.

Margee

My first three RCI cruises the bed was comfortable & I slept well but last year on Navigator the bed was so hard I wanted to cry -I have really bad arthritis in my back & hips. The cabin steward tried to help by folding up a comforter under the sheets & it helped enough that I could sleep but it was still really uncomfortable. I'm waiting to see how the bed is on my next cruise & hoping it's more comfortable like the beds used to be!

I am going to write to them concerning the mattress issue. I've cruised on Royal for a number of years and never had a problem. I got off the Enchantment this past Friday after 4 days of, basically, no sleep. I think my longest stretch of sleep was 90 minutes. I woke up constantly from being in pain. My mom had the same complaint. TERRIBLE mattresses they are using these days. There was nothing our steward could do for us. I got home Friday morning and slept all day in my nice comfy bed. Thank goodness my in laws took my son for the day.

My first three RCI cruises the bed was comfortable & I slept well but last year on Navigator the bed was so hard I wanted to cry -I have really bad arthritis in my back & hips. The cabin steward tried to help by folding up a comforter under the sheets & it helped enough that I could sleep but it was still really uncomfortable. I'm waiting to see how the bed is on my next cruise & hoping it's more comfortable like the beds used to be!

Don,t take a chance. You paid a lot of money for a vacation and have the right to be in a bed that is comfortable for you. I have hip and back issues so requested a pad on our Freedom cruise last week by contacting special needs. We had a nice 4 inch thick memory foam on our bed.

Edited by Nickymjw1
Spelling

As mentioned, I had one on Oasis 4/30/16. ( I didn't request it)

It is possible that the passenger before you left it behind if it was a egg crate. Some people buy them before they board and leave them behind. I haven't seen one in years. They are usually those thick padded mattress toppers. I can't remember my last Oasis cruise but will find out what they have this fall.

I sleep best when I am on a cruise. I have never had an issue with the mattresses being too hard although I prefer a harder mattress over a soft one.

We cruise on Radiance in a few months and I hope the mattresses are as good as they have been in the past. I can't wait to be rocked to sleep.

We had a rock hard mattress on the Brilliance of the Seas on our 14 day transatlantic. I mean, the floor was softer. My wife complained to the room steward and she put an extra duvet on the bed. It helped a little. Turns out the housekeeping manager was making his rounds and was inspecting rooms when the wife and I were still there. He asked if everything was all right and my wife complained about the bed again.

When we arrived back on the ship the room steward, under her managers direction, had made up ten pillows into the bed. The wife loved it. I joked about having a pillow top mattress, but must admit, I slept a lot better after that.