Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
margeecruiser

How to get hard mattress fixed

Navigator in March, thankfully the mattresses were topped with a pillow top type of pad...they were still quite hard.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I sleep best when I am on a cruise. I have never had an issue with the mattresses being too hard although I prefer a harder mattress over a soft one.

We cruise on Radiance in a few months and I hope the mattresses are as good as they have been in the past. I can't wait to be rocked to sleep.

I had a mattress topper on the Radiance the end of last month. It had good support and was comfy.

My preference is a mattress as hard as concrete .I cannot sleep on anything else.

It's your lucky day Royal is 4U.

I prefer a very firm mattress. So I actually like the firm mattresses on the ships.

If they are too soft, I cannot sleep well.

So where on the website would you request a topper if one is needed, or do you have to phone it in?

Edited by dwayneb236

Drink more?

Problem Solvers on the case!

These sorts of threads are why I don't join M&M anymore. I'd just mock people and wind up hated for the whole cruise.

Thank you Lance And/Or Kitty

FYI its hard to see on post but there is an underscore between special and needs special_needs

I replied to another thread on the same subject. Here is my reply that I copied and pasted for you:

I agree about the hard beds. We sailed twice on Adventure this year and had the same cabin both times (1688 corner aft). The first cruise on this mattress, I felt like I got beat up or worked out too hard every morning when I woke up. The cabin attendant put extra duvets under the sheet, but it didn't help much. I set out to not have the same experience for my most recent Adventure cruise that I took a few weeks ago.

This time I took with me a camping air mattress that I bought on Amazon. It was called the Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad and cost about $50. It inflates with just a few breaths and packs up very compactly and is extremely lightweight. It is only about 2 1/2 inches thick when inflated.. I put it under the mattress pad on my side of the bed. I slept like a baby the entire cruise. My husband was jealous due to the pain in his hip that resulted from the rock-hard mattress. I plan on taking it with me for our next cruise on Adventure in January of '17. I am not confident, even after a full dry-dock, that the mattresses will get any better. I suppose that I will need to order one for DH!

This seems like an oddly egocentric post. Some people prefer firmer mattresses, some softer. As with any hotel operator, I'm sure Royal has found what they find to be the best fit for the most people. Why you think your individual complaint would make them change their approach is a little baffling.

Even more odd, you've gone on 10+ cruises and "complained every time". Maybe Royal just isn't for you???

Wow!

I cant imagine what a happy person you must be in person!

Wow, we have sailed 12+ times on Royal and we have yet to sleep on anything less than a brick. I usually pack a lot of ibuprofen because of back aches every morning. We are about to sail again in a week on the Anthem. I have already emailed RC and inquired about ANYTHING they can do to soften the mattress. They responded very nicely to me so we shall see. Their mattresses leave alot to be desired.

I have requested a topper on my last 3 cruises and had them all in place before I sailed.

Contact special_needs@rccl.com a few weeks before you sail.

Thanks for reminding me to request a mattress topper. My husband just had back surgery a month ago. Usually the mattress is fine for us as we tend to like a hard mattress rather than a soft one, but seeing all the comments on the hard mattresses, thought we'd contact special needs. Got a response within 5 minutes that they had made a notation on our booking and will have it there for us on elaboration day.:)

My bed was much too hard on the Norwegian Gem. First they offered a piece of foam less than one-half inch think that completely collapsed if a hand was placed on it and seemed to think that would do something. They referred to it as "egg crate" but it was just a flat piece of foam. I asked for the foam mattress that would have been brought in if there was a 3rd person. It was five inches thick. After that, things were fine.

PS - Older people, especially, need a mattress that allows the spine to assume a natural position. Too hard and your hip or back is thrust out of place. In "days of yore" a worn out mattress could allow the hip or back to sink down too far, which is also not natural. I am so tired of the myth that "hard is good for the back". I suspect that "hard means will not wear out as soon" is what is going on But again, asking for the 5 inch foam mattress for the 3rd person in the room to be placed on top of my near-rock-hard mattress did the trick.