Celebrity Moving Down Market??

vancojo

Fair enough--Any idea what the percentage of passengers with drink packages was on your cruise ??

The Bar manager told us our ship had the highest percentage he had every experienced and admitted that managing it was difficult. As Celebrity continues to promote the packages, I figure it will just keep going up on all itineraries and they won't adjust staffing to address it. They ran out of some of the wines that were available on the packages. And we noticed that the wine list included the items available on the basic package plus lots of very expensive wines--but had removed many of the mid range bottles. They had also eliminated the two- for- one drink specials they used to have at happy hour. The drink of the day was not a bargain, but rather something pricey that you had to pay an up- charge for if you didn't have a premium package. The point is--they are pricing things to make it more likely that people will select the drink packages on their promotions --it becomes the only reasonable option--ergo--ships like ours with 80% of passengers with drink packages --and an unpleasant atmosphere-- and upcharges on everything from Zumba to Martini tastings that used to be free or reasonably priced.

probably close to 100% on most cruises now

We sailed on the Equinox last month and previously on the Infinity last Sept. We had the beverage package on the Equinox but did not have one on the Infinity. Both cruises were absolutely excellent and we had amazing service by the sommeliers on both sailings.

William, on the Equinox, would always ask us what we were having for dinner and find just the right wine to go with our meal. In fact, I don't think I have ever had a better sommelier in all my years of cruising. I don't doubt what you say reflects your experience, but it just sounds to be ship specific as we didn't find that to be the case on our recent Celebrity cruises.

As another post mentioned, we never saw anything remotely resembling a 'booze cruise' on either of these recent sailings, either. I did see it on Princess in December but not on Celebrity. Again, it might have been specific to that particular sailing.

Wow...didn't ever realize they had a two for one happy hour. Where was I all of these cruises when I was paying full price for my drinks? hahaha!

Anyhow, hope you find a line that suits you a little better in the future. Sorry to hear you didn't have a stellar time on your latest sailing.

VANCOJO

I believe we were on the same Norwegian cruise on the Eclipse that ended May 8th. You are correct that the huge number of passengers on the drink's packages had a negative effect on the cruise experience.

We were also on the Transatlantic prior to the Norway cruise and I can say that it was a far more enjoyable cruise. On the Norway cruise there were always long lines at the Café and both day and night it was difficult to find seating. Also, the cut backs to the activities staff, and the lack of free non sales oriented activities has diminished the quality of the cruise experience. We were on board for 21 days and had ample opportunity to book a future cruise and chose not to book one. In my opinion, the Norwegian cruise was an expensive one, and I came away feeling that I did not get good value for my money.

The lack of evening entertainment was our biggest complaint on our Eclipse cruise last February.

As I'm reading these comments I wonder if it's a ship specific problem.

What a shame to short-change the people who are booking the longer cruises (at least in the winter). :(

Actually, we found that there was more evening entertainment and more folks participating in it on the eclipse last week then we've had on many Celebrity cruises in the past year or so. Perhaps it's ship dependent. As I said, even getting a drink at any of the bars was also quite easy, even though everyone seemed to have a drink package. The only drink I found a bit inconsistent is a dirty martini....but there's no measurement of the olive juice at any bar so it's always variable on ships or on land. Other drinks were actually remarkably consistent perhaps due to the fact that bartenders seem to be measuring spirits (again, perhaps cruise dependent...this was a cruise out of the UK).

Our Third Celebrity cruise (on Eclipse) was a disappointment. We had viewed this line as providing upscale fun. On this cruise

-- over half of the activities on the daily schedule were something happening in one of the boutiques or shops. And those activities/sales did not even happen as or when advertised many times

--The live entertainment we had enjoyed at cocktail hour/sail away was not on the schedule most days. Some scheduled entertainment was cancelled to allow the foyer to be used for a selling/auction event.

--The majority of the passengers had beverage packages, which Celebrity seems to have paid for by cutting staff. If you enjoyed attentive, personal service from bar staff in the past--forget it--they had their heads down slinging drinks--no time to smile or talk or to mix a very good cocktail--Passengers asking for nuts or chips to accompany drinks at the bars were told that these were not available.

-Sommeliers no longer talk to passengers in the MDR--they were running around with four half full bottles of wine in their hands, filling glasses

--We concluded that the big increase in Beverage package passengers has changed the Celebrity experience into something like an extended "Booze cruise "--they appear to have chosen to cut a lot of the luxury and fun service items , figuring that customers won't mind as long as booze is free??

Doesn't work for us--we are very disappointed.

Totally agree....Bev Packages were the start of a huge decline and shift in focus...both economically for the cruise line and towards diff demographics...folks flocked from other lines who came for the deals... they loved the ships ( obviously) ..and then wanted the Celeb experience to change...no formal nights... loud recorded music...etc.

Great emphasis on bars and drinking...

Still a nice vacation ..nice but not always great!

I totally agree. We just got off the Infinity in May and were very disappointed in Celebrity for the very first time. Felt like I was on a Royal Caribbean or Carnival cruise....NOT that there is anything wrong with that....just NOT what I expected from Celebrity. We ordered drinks in the MDR one night and they got it wrong. Again on the 2nd night....wrong. 3rd night.....wrong. Finally we stopped ordering. And if Celebrity makes their martini glasses any smaller.....it will be a shot glass. I did not have the drink package so I expected a normal size martini glass for my $12.00

We had a hard time getting drink on Silhouette in March 2015. Silhouette and Reflections do not have the aft bar on the Lido deck like the other Solstice Class ship. You had to get drinks from the Sunset Bar up one deck. It was a mad house. Even the bars by the pool were very busy.

As to Royal Caribbean we just got back last week from a Royal Caribbean cruise. I have not cruised with RC in 10 years. Yes we had a nice cruise. But I will never cruise with them again. Let me put it this way. I will never cruise on a RC ship that is bigger than Radiance Class. There was a waiting line to get into the Windjammer. We had 30 or more people waiting in a line. They said it was full. Not letting anymore people in.

We are still very happy with Celebrity. We have tried Azamara, they might be a bit to small for us. Azamara seems to try to hard to be friendly.

We ordered drinks in the MDR one night and they got it wrong. Again on the 2nd night....wrong. 3rd night.....wrong. Finally we stopped ordering. And if Celebrity makes their martini glasses any smaller.....it will be a shot glass. I did not have the drink package so I expected a normal size martini glass for my $12.00

I don't think the regular martini glasses have changed size. Those at the Martini bar are larger and the cost of drinks is appropriately more.

As far as getting drinks right....I ordered my wife an americano in the sky lounge with my vodka on the rocks. Seemed to take a long time to arrive, but when the waiter came, he gave me my vodka and my wife an "americano" coffee.....rather than an americano drink (compari, sweet vermouth, selzer). I've now learned when ordering anything that isn't really really standard, name the ingredients to make sure they get the right drink.

Edited by ghstudio

The glasses are smaller and they don't even fill them to the top. Back when they first had the martini bars on the M Class ships the glasses were bigger, they filled them and they left the shaker with you for what was left it that.

We never have had a drink package either.

I do notice that on land or at sea there is a tendency for bartenders to shake the hell out a drink, melting the ice, and giving the appearance of a larger drink, an illusion quickly destroyed with the first sip. Sure enough, I read an article on how restaurants are cutting costs, and one of the ways is to have the drinks diluted by excessive shaking.

My favorite online travel agency is having a huge Memorial Day sale. I checked pricing on the November transatlantic and the 14 day Med cruise on the Silhouette. To my shock, they have group bookings on both of them. I'm paying $2082 p.p. for a Concierge guarantee, on the Med cruise. This includes the "best" promo of Premium drink package, prepaid gratuities, $300 obc, and unlimited internet for two. If you book through Celebrity, they want $2712 p.p. On the transatlantic, we have a 2D balcony and a $250 obc for $1423 p.p. Celebrity wants $1911 p.p.with no obc.

There is a downside though. They charge a cancellation fee so if we had to cancel, we'd be out $200. Also, as other posters have mentioned, I'd be giving up control of my reservations.

Risk $200 in order to save over $2200, I think I'll take that risk. Giving up control of my reservation, really?

I can still watch for price drops, maybe it'll get better LOL.

When I found a great deal on another website, I called up Celebrity. After verifying the price & the perks, they matched the deal.

I think a point is missed here. X has become a two class ship. If you want the old X go first class, if you want mass market go tourist.

I think if I have to pay first class prices to be treated well I would rather sail with Oceania ( or even more up scale lines) - Oceania has no upcharges for specialty restaurants (which are fabulous) and very little shopping stuff (at least last time we sailed) Food was overall much better the Celebrity and Shore excursions much more reasonably priced

On Celebrity as far as I know First Class gets their own bar (albeit on without much of a view to the sea) and access to Blu and special restaurants--am I missing something? Entertainment options and experiences in the other parts of the ship would seem to be the same

No idea on the drink package percentage. Everyone I knew onboard had it and I didn't see many people ever sign a bill. We ran out of some wine too. Our Sommelier was saying it was frustrating as the same wines aren't consistently ordered. One cruise the Pinot will be super popular so they'll order far more for the next cruise and then everyone wants Carmenere on that cruise. Can't comment on happy hour as we had the premium package so didn't pay attention.

Any hotel manager who can't get that right needs to be retrained.

They know the mix of passengers.

In fact they have way more information than a hotel manager on land about their customer mix, just inexcusable.

Any hotel manager who can't get that right needs to be retrained.

They know the mix of passengers.

In fact they have way more information than a hotel manager on land about their customer mix, just inexcusable.

Can you really predict that they'll be a run on wines like Chenin Blanc and Carmenere though? It was only the second cruise of the season, I can understand not ordering enough if that's not what is normally ordered. Certainly no biggy, no one went thirsty. Although there might have been a near riot if they hadn't found more Clamato onboard, pesky Canadians ;)

When I found a great deal on another website, I called up Celebrity. After verifying the price & the perks, they matched the deal.

I tried that when I first started cruising and Celebrity laughed at me. I don't think they want to undercut the travel agencies. Not everybody knows exactly what they want so if I was a travel agent had Celebrity started matching prices I'd steer the customers to different lines.

I can't imagine Celebrity refunding $1100 p.p. if the people that have booked already calls and used the quote I got.

Secondly, when you call for a price reduction it is based on what you paid compared to what Celebrity is currently charging, not if you can find a better deal elsewhere. And if the current price is lower, you might have to give up any perks you originally got if they are part of the current deal.

Very surprised...if the British want a 'booze cruise' or a land based holiday AI they are spoilt for choice...Thompson Cruises, Canary Islands and Southern Spain all offer year round relatively cheap packages...why people wanting a 'booze cruise' would book the Norwegian Ffiords or a Celebrity cruise for that matter I do not understand.....Especially as once you get off the ship in Norway drink prices are really high.........

Respectfully, I am not surprised at all. In fact I am more surprised at the statement you made.

I know very many UK cruisers who will NOT sail from SOTON on any cruise which has a 'free' drinks package.

A reality check please - it is acknowledged by the medical profession that UK has an issue with alcohol.

I am sorry Vancojo your vacation was impacted. I cruise Celebrity but NEVER from SOTON.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

Respectfully, I am not surprised at all. In fact I am more surprised at the statement you made.

I know very many UK cruisers who will NOT sail from SOTON on any cruise which has a 'free' drinks package.

A reality check please - it is acknowledged by the medical profession that UK has an issue with alcohol.

I am sorry Vancojo your vacation was impacted. I cruise Celebrity but NEVER from SOTON.

Annie

Hi

I could not edit my reply: 1 comment and a proposed solution:

RCI ships have a reputation of being the 'party vessels'.

The solution is easy - stop including the 'free drinks packages' in the boarding fare.

Annie

It just goes to show we are all different. I would not now go on a cruise that does not include the drinks package. Not because I have to drink all the time (I don't drink at all at home due to the fact I am always working or driving), but because having everything included appeals, especially given that the cruise lines decide that $9 is a good price for a glass of wine. It is lovely to spend two weeks in a environment where you do not have to think about what each item is costing.

Personally I love having the drinks package included, but given the number of people with the package included in the fare, the cruise line needs to increase the number of bar staff to cope with this.

Ian

Annie

You missed my point....If a British citizen wants a holiday just based on alcohol they can do it far cheaper than on a Celebrity Cruise from Southampton, even with a drinks package....

The point that Vancojo was making was that she feels the level of service and entertainment on that cruise was sub standard.....Perhaps owing to the number of free drinks packages she thought X was providing little else. I think Southampton is irrelevant....I know many people who regularly cruise X from Southampton and their only complaint is they would like a more varied itinerary.

We cruise from Southampton later this year...I will report back.

We are sailing on Eclipse in 3 weeks.

We dont have a drinks package and Im now wondering if weve made

a big mistake booking this cruise.

Weve only sailed Celebrity once before and it was the chair hogs which were

the major irritation.

Ive bought a 7 bottle wine package, at vast expense, and will be very disappointed if we have poor service.

Oh dear, wish I hadnt opened this thread!

Jen

I certainly haven't noticed any down turn, in fact the experiences seem to be getting better with each cruise on X. The drink packages may be affecting the service and atmosphere on some cruises more than others but I haven't experienced that issue on any of my cruises.:D

I certainly haven't noticed any down turn, in fact the experiences seem to be getting better with each cruise on X. The drink packages may be affecting the service and atmosphere on some cruises more than others but I haven't experienced that issue on any of my cruises.:D

Our last cruise was on Solstice South Pacific, service was so good we worry that the next can not possibly match!

We are sailing on Eclipse in 3 weeks.

We dont have a drinks package and Im now wondering if weve made

a big mistake booking this cruise.

Weve only sailed Celebrity once before and it was the chair hogs which were

the major irritation.

Ive bought a 7 bottle wine package, at vast expense, and will be very disappointed if we have poor service.

Oh dear, wish I hadnt opened this thread!

Jen

You have nothing to worry about. The thread is about Celebrity moving down market, which it clearly has, at least compared with our first Celebrity cruise 4 years ago. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong. We've travelled with around 8 different lines now and whilst standards have declined across the board, all our cruises have still had a much higher standard of service than any hotel we have ever stayed in, for a fraction of the price.

We were on the Eclipse last week. The food was still great, waiters friendly and efficient, cabin staff excellent. Ship was lovely and well maintained.

If we are being critical (and it's all relative) entertainment wasn't anywhere near as good as on the Infinity 4 years ago and that is clearly an area where savings are being made. Activities during the day were largely limited to promotions and things you had to pay for. Still problems with seating in the buffet and around the ship at busy times, but that's a fairly universal problem we've found and not specific to Celebrity.

We didn't see any problems relating to drink despite many people on board having packages. We don't drink so can't comment on the packages or service.

What you get for the money on a cruise these days is still incredible (especially if Celebrity throw in an amazing cabin upgrade at 20 past midnight on the day you sail!!)

Bottom line is that you will have a great time and don't let anything you read put you off. The glass show is still free, poorly attended, and great fun. We went several times and each time was different.

Have a fab time

given the number of people with the package included in the fare, the cruise line needs to increase the number of bar staff to cope with this.

Can anyone see that happening?

If they were to do anything about that, it would be more in line with the self serve options, whether "Vin-o-matic" or robotic bartenders.