How much should we tip the butler and concierge?

katybird

We got an upsell today for Cat. SE on the Gem.

I can't imagine using the butler or concierge for much of anything. All our dinner reservations are made. We aren't eating meals in the cabin or need any special snacks.

What is the rule of thumb for their tips?

I see the room charge is $15.50pp for suites. What about the room steward tip?

There is really no set amount for tipping the Butler and Concierge. It is basically up to you, your budget and the service extended to you by the Butler, Concierge and Cabin Steward. I don't use either the Butler or Concierge very much and I start with $10 a day per person for the Butler and $5 a day per person for the Concierge and will add or subtract based on the service. The Cabin Steward is included in the DSC; some tip extra for above and beyond and others don't.

I can't imagine using the butler or concierge for much of anything. All our dinner reservations are made. We aren't eating meals in the cabin or need any special snacks.

What is the rule of thumb for their tips?

I see the room charge is $15.50pp for suites. What about the room steward tip?

Here is my take on it the butler and concierge. The concierge meet us basically at the check in desk shore side and made sure everything was arraigned for us and fixed any thing that needed fixed. He explained everything for us, gave us tips and tricks and then walked us onto the ships and to our cabins to drop stuff before cabins were "open". I had a small issue with an OBC, I talked to the service desk only to not have anything fixed, talked to Hano the concierge and it was fixed in a matter of minutes. He also checked on us during breakfast and or lunch and while waiting in the reserved section for the shows. He was able to give us the behind the scenes insight that made the cruise go smooth and offered to help with anything that was legal. He also walked us off the ship and cut lines for us at every port including disembarkation. As for tips, most people budget $50 for the concierge and that covers the basic stuff and you can adjust as you feel is needed. Just remember he does a ton of stuff for you behind the scenes, he can also make stuff happen that you thought was impossible, get you a table at a booked restaurant for example.

As for the butler, I was very hesitant about the value of one. But it turned out to be really nice, you can order from any restaurant on the ship and have it delivered to your room. We often had lunch delivered, and several times had dessert sent to our room, we ate to much food but knew we would want something later. Also we enjoyed the afternoon snacks, they seemed to always appear right as we were getting the munchies anyways. i wouldn't say the butler is a make or break on the cruise but a good butler could make a good cruise into a great cruise. Most people budget $10 per day for the butler, knowing special request probably deserves a separate stand alone tip, i.e. you host a dinner party for friends or family.

As always tips are a very personal issue, I would be glad to discuss exact amounts I have given and why if you message me, but just give what ever you feel the person deserves. We gave our room steward extra this last cruise because he was amazing, went way above and beyond and made our cruise awesome. But long story short, give what you think they deserve, but don't forget about the Hero cards as well.

I can't imagine using the butler or concierge for much of anything. All our dinner reservations are made. We aren't eating meals in the cabin or need any special snacks. What is the rule of thumb for their tips? I see the room charge is $15.50pp for suites. What about the room steward tip?

$10-$20 per person/per day for butler. $5-$20 pp/pd for concierge.

Since you have a large room tip your room steward extra.

We had our first suite about a month ago.

Our butler brought the daily snacks and three breakfasts and we gave him $100. He was always super friendly when we saw him and available, but we didn't need much.

The concierge we didn't use, except to fix my promos that weren't on my account and we gave her $50.

Edited by Epic_Bear

As for tips, most people budget $50 for the concierge and that covers the basic stuff and you can adjust as you feel is needed. Just remember he does a ton of stuff for you behind the scenes, he can also make stuff happen that you thought was impossible, get you a table at a booked restaurant for example.

Most people budget $10 per day for the butler, knowing special request probably deserves a separate stand alone tip, i.e. you host a dinner party for friends or family.

That's what we do. That is $10 per day, or $5 per person per day.

If you don't use the service why would you tip? I didn't use the butler at all and used the concierge only to go with he group priority disembarkation. I didn't feel the need to tip. It's not the popular view of the people on this board but what the silent majority do, tip only for services used of value to you.

Edited by cruzsnooze

You'll find it really depends on what unexpected things you use them for and the level of service you receive. We budgeted based on a general average we saw here but our room steward actually ended up with quite a bit of the butler's tip. Because he deserved it more.

It's true not everyone has a use for the snacks. We had them originally and then we requested they cease. They do come automatically unless you say something.

On port days that you want to get an early start, breakfast in your room, pre-ordered the night before, really is a huge convenience. That automatically goes through your butler if you're in a suite, not through room service.

But yes, if you don't use them, you don't use them. I certainly wouldn't give someone $10/person per day for refilling the coffee.

$10-$20 per person/per day for butler. $5-$20 pp/pd for concierge.

Since you have a large room tip your room steward extra.

Big tipper. The room steward is covered by the higher DSC tips for being on a suite. We did tip the room steward extra on the sun because he was such a hard working. On the POA he did his job.

Another thought/question- do you give $$ before sailing or only at the end? Like my husband is used to giving some extra $$ to our steward right at the beginining- so is this the case for concierge/butler too?

I only tip any of them at the end. But, no right or wrong. Sometimes they request you wait until the end if you offer it before.