Cruising with twin toddlers

npeacemaker

I refused to take my kids on a cruise when they were toddlers, but that's because my oldest is only 11 months older then my twins.  There was no way I was bringing 3 or even 2 that were not fully toilet trained, meaning they didn't need my help at all in the bathroom, on a cruise.  We did go on vacation, but they were shorter trips and much less expensive then a cruise.  With 3 so close, I didn't feel like it would be relaxing at all.    I have a BIL who took his wife and 2 kids on a cruise while the youngest was 3 still in diapers and regretted it.  The 3 year old wouldn't remember anything and the 7 year old remembered very little and the parents didn't feel like they were on vacation.    Mine were 9/10 when we took them on their first cruise.  They could shower alone, get their own food from the buffet, carry their own bags, read the cruise compass, etc.  If there was several years between them, I may have considered it, but  with 3 so close in age, I chose to wait until they were more independent and I'm glad I did.

On 5/27/2016 at 10:18 PM, npeacemaker said:

I just booked a Norwegian cruise for 2017 for my family. It will be myself, husband, and twin boys (three years old at time of sailing). We booked a Haven level suite to have added comforts and amenities to make the sailing enjoyable for all of us.

Now that we are booked my husband and I are going back and forth about maybe they are too young and we should re-book just for the two us. One one side, I'd really like to do a fun family vacation, but is cruising the way to go? If we re-book for just the two of us and do a second honeymoon we plan to stay in the Haven level suites.

Can anyone advise if travelling with two 3 year olds is a good idea? Lots to do for kiddos? Anyone been through travelling with toddlers before and really loved it or hated it? Should we leave the kids at home this time and book something when they are closer to 5 years old? We are booked on the Breakaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have boy/girl twins who we took on the Breakaway when they were three, it was the best vacation ever.  They would spend the morning at Splash Academy and my husband and I would sit on the Water Front on deck 8 and relax, or we were in the spa getting pampered.  We spent the afternoons at the pool, and then we would have dinner in one of the MDRs, put the kids to bed, then sit on our balcony and drink wine.  It was such a relaxing and fun vacation, we loved it so much that we went again, on the Breakaway, the next year with my sister and her family and in fact are going on the Breakaway during the summer of 2021 with the kids.  I really think cruising is the way to go with little kids.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't the original poster, but while the kids don't remember the cruise you will.  If you don't want to put in the work, and yes they are work, then skip it.  If you want a memorable experience with your kids go. It isn't the relaxing vacation you I envisioned as you have to mind them in a new environemnt, but once they go to the kids club it is like the scene in Hotel Transylvania 3 with the wolf- you want my kids? Then you get to relax.   I really enjoyed seeing them in new places, but if you are the type to stress out then wait a year or two.