Sea2Air

Rarely see it discussed. I'm considering using it for a future cruise out of San Juan, flying in the day of my cruise. . I like this feeling of security Sea2Air provides if my flight is delayed or cancelled and having Sea2Air as a backup to help get me to get to my cruise.

Anyone used it? Any comments, pro or con? Btw, I know I can fly in the day before my cruise, but am not able to.

The prices are rarely better with the program but if it buys you some peace of mind then it's worth it.

For domestic flights, I would agree about the prices. However, for one-way international flights, the prices have been much better.

A couple of thoughts.

Read the fine print very carefully. While the large print may imply that they will get you to the ship should things go TU, I think you'll find that the small print indicates they assume no responsibility if things go TU due to XXX reasons not within their control. I think you'll also find in the small print words like assist you in catching the ship, etc.

Second thought

Passport will be a requirement should you have to fly to catch up to the ship should the next port be a foreign country.

I haven't read the fine print yet. An RCCL rep told me they would do their best to get me to my cruise on time at no charge even if it were necessary to book me with a different airline than the one I booked with. And they would fly me to the first port and put me up in a hotel at no charge to me if I don't make it to my cruise.

Edited by Artemus

I haven't read the fine print yet. An RCCL rep told me they would do their best to get me to my cruise on time at no charge even if it were necessary to book me with a different airline than the one I booked with. And they would fly me to the first port and put me up in a hotel at no charge to me if I don't make it to my cruise.

I'm sure your a very smart person and would never trust what someone might say verbally vs. what a corporation would do as to what is legally obligated to do.

I like that. "They would do their best" :D

We used Sea2Air for Ottawa to FLL round trip. The cost was substantially less than Air Canada's fare for the same flight, same plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by traveler279

We used Sea2Air for Ottawa to FLL round trip. The cost was substantially less than Air Canada's fare for the same flight, same plane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And do you ask yourself why? How can that be?

Same flight number. Same plane.

The ticket from Sea2Air is substantially less than if I bought from Air Canada direct.

Is it really the exact same product?

Or, is it possible there are some differences behind the scenes in the product.

I mean, we all know nothing's free right? So how can I sell the exact same product for less money, but still make money?

Edited by klfrodo

And do you ask yourself why? How can that be?

Same flight number. Same plane.

The ticket from Sea2Air is substantially less than if I bought from Air Canada direct.

Is it really the exact same product?

Or, is it possible there are some differences behind the scenes in the product.

I mean, we all know nothing's free right? So how can I sell the exact same product for less money, but still make money?

Same reason why travel agents can sometimes get you a better price than booking direct, too. They buy the seats in bulk at a discount and direct clientele to them, so they can pass the discount on to the customers. It was cheaper for me to book through Air2Sea than either United directly or Priceline, Newark, NJ to Barcelona. Actually, when I booked it was cheaper, now I see I could get it cheaper on UA or PL from what I paid. However, maybe Air2Sea has dropped, as well. I don't think there's any way to check that without actually booking a cruise to attach it to, is there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

I booked Air to Sea from CVG to MIA for my cruise in January. The price was the exact price the airline was asking.

Same thing I've noticed for domestic fares with Air2Sea.

I could be wrong but believe when booking international flights, you get a better pricing through E 2 Air because the Cruise lines can guarantee to the airlines a full plane thus a reduced price. Like chartering a flight. I have priced our flight next year to Copenhagen.

E 2 Air $535 PP

Direct w/ Airline $700 to over a $1,000 PP

I don't think there's any way to check that without actually booking a cruise to attach it to, is there?

The default view at the Air2Sea web site is to look for a flight already having a cruise booking number, but there's a second tab (Quick Flight Search Only) on which a booking # is NOT required - just need the ship/date.

Does using air2sea disqualify you from claiming FF miles or status points on the airlines?

I'm gonna book my flight today so I'll find out. My guess is no. One down side I'm thinking is my wife and I won't get free checked bags like we would with booking direct with American Airlines but the flight times are better with Delta, so it's a trade off.

On my last cruise, although I normally would have booked my own air, my instincts told me to book my air through Choice Air (Air2Sea). I did so and chose my flights ... Calgary to Dallas-Ft. Worth to Ft. Lauderdale.

On the morning prior to departure, I logged into the air line's website to print my boarding pass only to discover all flights into and out of DFW were cancelled for the foreseeable future due to inclement weather. I lost no time calling Choice Air. They were courteous and very fast in securing me a seat on another carrier and route ...Calgary to Toronto to Ft. Lauderdale. I arrived in FLL about 40 minutes later than I would have with the original routing.

In my case, choosing Choice Air was the right decision for me. Listening to my gut instinct is always the way to go.

ETA: Yes, you can use your FF points and other perqs such as free first bag with Choice Air.

Edited by Tinkerbellcgy

The correct answer to many of these questions can be found here

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

No, it is not the same product. There are differences buried in the "fare code" which you cannot see until the ticket is purchased, if you can even find it then.

Now, if you get on a plane, go from point A to Point B and back again with zero problems,,, you most likely won't even know there are differences in the product. But let things go TU and you'll find out fast.

Examples

1. On cruise critic a couple of years ago a lady was fly from west coast to east coast. For some reason, the plane had to sit down in Kansas City. Most passengers got on other planes and were sent on their way. Not her. Why? The restrictions were such that her ticket was only valid on the companies metal (Let's say Delta and the flight HAD to be on Delta) and the ticket was only valid for that day of travel. No if's, and's, or but's, those were the restrictions.

2. Flight delayed might miss cruise ship.

Other passengers are rerouted on other code share airlines. You may be restricted such that you cannot be rerouted.

3. Someone asked about miles. Yes, No, maybe only 50%. Depends on the negotiated restrictions applied to the ticket you were issued.

Read the above link. I found it fascinating to learn how consolidator tickets work.

These tickets can save a bundle and that's not a bad thing.

If you know all the possible restrictions but still make an educated decision and you are aware of the risks, then by all means, go for it.

Does using air2sea disqualify you from claiming FF miles or status points on the airlines?

Yes, No, maybe

Depends on the restrictions negotiated for those sets of tickets.

Either way, some airlines are now basing mileage earned on the price you paid for your ticket. Even on a code share flight, you might only earn 25% or 50%.

Do you keep your elite status? yes, always

I'm primarily concerned about getting the miles to keep status. DH has plat status with AA. The perks allow us free bags (all 5 of us) and a Europe flight goes a long way to his renewal.

If he won't get his elite status miles by using the air then it's kind of a no-brainer for us.

I'm primarily concerned about getting the miles to keep status. DH has plat status with AA. The perks allow us free bags (all 5 of us) and a Europe flight goes a long way to his renewal.

If he won't get his elite status miles by using the air then it's kind of a no-brainer for us.

I hear you. Getting those miles are important to me also.

My wife enjoys those comp upgrades. Plus, those miles are getting us to Europe in first class this year

The default view at the Air2Sea web site is to look for a flight already having a cruise booking number, but there's a second tab (Quick Flight Search Only) on which a booking # is NOT required - just need the ship/date.

Thank you! The fare did go down since I booked. Curious whether if the cruise fare goes down and you call for a price adjustment, could you also price adjust Air2Sea since you're technically changing your cruise booking?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have our first International flight coming up in October; Chicago O'Hare (connection in Philly) to Barcelona, that we booked through Air2Sea, mainly because of price, and for our flight the prices were so good we upgraded to business class.

Question: If we miss our connection to BCN and there isn't another until the next day, will Air2Sea put us up in a hotel?

Since we've booked, Air2Sea has changed our flight from Chicago to a later flight, giving us only an hour in Philly to make our connection. We were originally on a flight that would have given us 3 hours before the connection, but with biz class, we'd have access to their Admiral's Club, so we figured it wouldn't be so bad. There are still seats on our original O'Hare to Philly flight, but when I called Air2Sea to change it back, they said I'd have to pay the difference. If they're talking about the difference between their rate vs. American, it's quite a bit of money.

So we'll be putting our trust in Air2Sea to get us to our destination. We're arriving 3 days early, so we'd be okay with our cruise, but hate to miss any of our time in Barcelona since it's my first time there. I know I've already whined here about our situation, so sorry for repeating myself. Still a little worried.

Edited by jules815