Vegan Food on Solstice

serras

Hello All,

We are on Solstice in July, travelling with our children one of whom is vegan. Before making the reservation I checked with Celebrity who confirmed that a vegan menu is available, which sounds great, but just wondering if anyone had any practical experience on board please? Many thanks

Hello All,

We are on Solstice in July, travelling with our children one of whom is vegan. Before making the reservation I checked with Celebrity who confirmed that a vegan menu is available, which sounds great, but just wondering if anyone had any practical experience on board please? Many thanks

Not on Solstice but other Celebrity ships. Mrs Gut has had great meals, if you don't see anything that takes your fancy just ask the waiters are great in meeting those needs.

Hello All,

X has at least one item on the menu, and plenty of items in the OVC. For the MDR you can, upon boarding, let the Maitre' D know and they will, most times after first night, remember and insure there is something.

All offerings, I have found, are very good....

You can do a search here for other input, too.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Hello All,

I am vegan and while it does offer a bit of a challenge, it is doable. I have never been given an actual vegan menu, though there is a vegetarian (and I think gluten free menu) floating around, and from there I did identify items that could be vegan, but I asked to be sure. There is a vegetarian option on the regular menu each night, but not a vegan option (though sometimes it may be vegan, but don't assume). I always go speak to maitre d upon boarding to let them know and then usually the waiter will further address it with me at meal time. Often I just give the chef the okay to prepare some creation, other times they run things by me for choices. Usually near the end of dinner each evening they will discuss the next night, so that is when I choose. They even make vegan desserts for me.

The real challenge is the food in the other areas of the ship - cafe, buffet, etc. I usually also speak to the food supervisor in the buffet and they are able to help with item selections for me and also bring it to the attention of that chef, so I knew who to look for for special menu items.

Oh, I never did find non-dairy coffee creamer on my last several sailings, so that was a bummer.

Enjoy!

Edited by blazeinthesun
clarify

I am vegan and while it does offer a bit of a challenge, it is doable. I have never been given an actual vegan menu, though there is a vegetarian (and I think gluten free menu) floating around, and from there I did identify items that could be vegan, but I asked to be sure. There is a vegetarian option on the regular menu each night, but not a vegan option (though sometimes it may be vegan, but don't assume). I always go speak to maitre d upon boarding to let them know and then usually the waiter will further address it with me at meal time. Often I just give the chef the okay to prepare some creation, other times they run things by me for choices. Usually near the end of dinner each evening they will discuss the next night, so that is when I choose. They even make vegan desserts for me.

The real challenge is the food in the other areas of the ship - cafe, buffet, etc. I usually also speak to the food supervisor in the buffet and they are able to help with item selections for me and also bring it to the attention of that chef, so I knew who to look for for special menu items.

Oh, I never did find non-dairy coffee creamer on my last several sailings, so that was a bummer.

Enjoy!

My husband is a vegan (with some other restrictions) and this pretty much reflects our experience.

We've had varying success with quality and variety of his meals depending on the chef , waiter and Maitre D' on our cruises.

We've found that it's helpful if we can make suggestions as to what he likes.

(We sail in Aqua and eat mostly in Blu in the hopes that the smaller kitchen has an easier time making accommodations)

As far as coffee creamer - there has always been almond milk - would that work for you?

Enjoy!

Agree with the above! There is at least one "vegetarian" option on all menus (MDR, Luminae, Blu, Specialty Restaurants) and from our experiences, all restaurants were very accommodating. The secret to success (not a secret, just a phrase!) is to introduce yourself on your very first night, for whatever restaurant you will be mostly dining in and let them know your needs. The specialty restaurants are also all very accommodating, just tell them up front.

We are "sloppy vegans" (i.e., we still eat cheese); but found that all restaurants were accommodating, even though there is usually only one choice on the menu each night.

Tuscan Grille, for example, created entrees out of their vegetarian appetizer options. They were most willing to accommodate.

Heather

We sailed on Silhouette recently. We are vegetarian--not vegan. On this particular ship, they do have a separate menu they will bring upon request. Combining that with the standard menu usually provided good choices. If not, my DH would request a vegetable plate (choosing from the vegetables offered with the meat dishes) with maybe a baked potato also. He also would request spaghetti with plain red sauce sometimes. I was always able to find an entree I liked on the menu. We ate in Select dining, so did not have the same waiter each evening--it did not seem to be a problem. A couple of nights we dined with a Real Vegan (haha) and she always pre-ordered her meal--with good success.

If not, my DH would request a vegetable plate (choosing from the vegetables offered with the meat dishes) with maybe a baked potato also.

We did that as well! the staff were most accommodating. I would look down all the meat dish options and then ask if we could have the vegetables from this dish and that :)

We had lovely vegetable platters delivered!

Heather

Edited by hvbaskey

My husband is a vegan (with some other restrictions) and this pretty much reflects our experience.

We've had varying success with quality and variety of his meals depending on the chef , waiter and Maitre D' on our cruises.

We've found that it's helpful if we can make suggestions as to what he likes.

My wife is vegan and this has been our experience as well. She's never starved, but some cruises have been much easier than others.

My wife is vegan and this has been our experience as well. She's never starved, but some cruises have been much easier than others.

I'm not a strict vegetarian or vegan, but I prefer to eat plant based. I have found Celebrity very helpful like the other posters here and the chef usually comes out and asks if I'm satisfied with the menu choices and offers to fix anything I would like. There usually is one vegetarian dish on the menu and I can always order pasta and cheese or veggie platter...and I have found chefs have all done a lovely job "plating" it. As for creamer, I use almond milk but have you considered bringing your own? God only knows what it really is, but I've seen some in Costco that come in individual cups and don't need to be refrigerated. DH is diabetic and he only likes Equal so I have a zip lock bag filled with packets that I put in my suitcase for him, but they're easy.