Live review with pics, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 6/11 Vancouver

cl.klink

If you get a chance to dine at the Pinnacle Grill please ask for the server Sinta (It rymes with Santa). She is terrific and make your dining experience pleasurable. If you do, please tell her Randy and Lisa say hello.

If you get a chance to dine at the Pinnacle Grill please ask for the server Sinta (It rymes with Santa). She is terrific and make your dining experience pleasurable. If you do, please tell her Randy and Lisa say hello.

Thanks for the tip. We're there for Le Cirque later this week.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your lost passport brought back the horror of our forgotten passports last year on a side trip to Victoria, BC. I am so glad you were able to get a new passport. I can't even imagine what you went through knowing you could miss your cruise! I am enjoying your photos and blog updates. Thanks.

Our passports are being packed now for our trip next week!

I'm so impressed with your resourcefulness and success in getting a replacement passport within just hours! You really made it happen! Wishing you both a happy relaxing and beautiful cruise. Thanks so much for the live photo review. Fantastic way to relive our memories and feed our hopes and dreams. Enjoy, m--

CRUISE DAY 3

Juneau. Monday 6/11

Forgot to mention that we have a table for 8 for dinners in MDR, late seating, so DW and my cousin and her husband and I have had table mates. Two are a nice couple from Atlanta, two another nice couple, from Connecticut. I find it nice to meet people on a cruise and compare experiences. On the cruises where we've eaten just the two of us it seems like with are missing something much of the time.

Got up early to go to Crows Nest in bow of ship as we approached and paused at the mouth of Tracy Arm fjords. A tourist boat came alongside to take on passengers doing an excursion into the fjord. We did that last year and it was truly excellent, lots of waterfalls, dramatic granite mountain walls, floating ice everywhere, and right up against north and south Swayer glaciers where we saw a huge calving (4 story building size). But, that was last year. While we sailed we saw whale after whale, one or two at a time, with spouts, tail fin in air, one came up out of water and and plopped back making a big splash. No need for a whale watching excursion now. Must have had 30-40 sightings.

Weather holding party cloudy to mostly sunny by day's end, enough that sitting in the sun became uncomfortable with more than a T shirt.

Our big splurge excursion was today, a helicopter to walk on glacier. Flew inland onto Mendenhal glacier and hiked around, drank water from crevices, learned more about glacier life. The view flying in and out was tremendous. Glaciers are truly awe inspiring. Massive slabs of inexorably moving compacted snow doing whatever they please to the earth below and around it, almost impossibly, albeit persistently slowly. Mendenhal comes from the Juneau ice field which itself is larger than the state of Rhode Island, and is considered within the city limits of Juneau, so that makes Juneau a very large city.

Had a king crab leg at Tracy's King Crab shack. Ate there last year. Fresh huge leg. Maybe it came from the Deadliest Catch?

DW and my cousin had to hit every of the jewelry stores that offer free gifts as inducement to come in and fend off the hard sell. Talked to one owner at one store. He said Alaska is a bigger market for them then the time they spend in St. Thomas or Curaçao. Here they have 150 ships a month. All it takes is a fraction of those passengers to make a big purchase. They board off the store after September, and all their inventory is moved away for the season till they open again on May 1.

Dinner in MDR was good, fresh halibut. Portions are just right for me and I do not leave feeling stuffed, but feel satiated.

Show tonight with singers and dancers was quite good. Enjoyed some drinks in Ocean Bar, visiting with family. Nice end to an evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk