Cruise Critic Community
doglover214

A fabulous new entertainer on Serenity

We really enjoyed Perry Grant's shows on Serenity over the past couple of weeks. He was hilarious every night, with some great recurring "characters" from the audience making it even funnier. The Avenue was packed throughout the cruise.

I love his shows too. Not everyone gets his humor, but, if he's on board, the Avenue is packed and the spirit of the evening is fun.

Interesting that there seems to be no middle ground on Perry Grant, people either love him or really dislike him. Looks like enough have had negative comments that Crystal has canceled some of his previously scheduled bookings. :o:confused::o

Patty

Patty, we agree with your summation. When he is in the Avenue we skip it and go to the Cove or Palm Court. His cabaret routine gets a bit old. Will sit until closing if Mark were playing.

In Dec i loved the Ave. If Perry was on i would get a drink and leave. I saw him for two weeks on Celebrity That was enough. i have friends who love him. i am bored. i went more than once to find out what the big deal was and realize i not for me.

It's not so much about not getting his humour, because we do. It's more a matter of how many nights can you sit and listen to the same routine, the same questions, the same audience interaction and the same tunes. For us, just once. I would go as far as to say we would almost be inclined not to book a cruise if we knew in advance he was entertaining in the AS. We always book too far out for that information and we've never cancelled once we've found out he is performing but there is a big sigh of disappointment from us for sure.

It's not so much about not getting his humour, because we do. It's more a matter of how many nights can you sit and listen to the same routine, the same questions, the same audience interaction and the same tunes. For us, just once. I would go as far as to say we would almost be inclined not to book a cruise if we knew in advance he was entertaining in the AS. We always book too far out for that information and we've never cancelled once we've found out he is performing but there is a big sigh of disappointment from us for sure.

Totally agree with everything you said - from understanding his humour to the big sigh of disappointment when we see he is the AS entertainer! I am onboard Serenity now too. Popped my head in to the Avenue for a few minutes last night just to see if I felt any different from the last time I saw him over a year ago. Nope.... no change in my impression and won't bother going back for the rest of this cruise.

We really enjoyed Perry Grant's shows on Serenity over the past couple of weeks. He was hilarious every night, with some great recurring "characters" from the audience making it even funnier. The Avenue was packed throughout the cruise.

We were there every night - wonder if we ran into each other.

Loved Perry, even though he had a great time making fun of our names! :-)

Had lunch with him one day - obviously, different than when performing. Very nice guy. A shame that his contract was cancelled.

We were there every night - wonder if we ran into each other.

Loved Perry, even though he had a great time making fun of our names! :-)

Had lunch with him one day - obviously, different than when performing. Very nice guy. A shame that his contract was cancelled.

Nice post. Thx for mentioning it all, and I agree I'm sorry his contract was cancelled.

This pretty much comes down to a question of what one wants The Avenue to be. Is it to be a late-night "show lounge" as a cabaret extension of the entertainment? Is it to be a place for a relaxing cocktail and background music? Some mid-point in between?

On a huge Princess/Celebrity ship, there are plenty of venues where lots of different styles of "late-night activity" can occur. Less options on a ship the size of Symphony and Serenity. So management needs to carefully match venue with performer and with desired product.

Apparently, Crystal management has decided that The Avenue is not to be a cabaret lounge. Enough feedback from guests has been processed and decisions made. Personally, if I wanted that kind of late-night, I'd be on Princess rather than Crystal.

Perhaps the new builds will have a cabaret room - possibly in the space formerly planned for the residences :)

Flyertalker, I am thinking that when Stardust is redone and made into something like a supper club I could see that being a great venue for certain types of entertainment including Cabaret.

We shall see.

Keith

This pretty much comes down to a question of what one wants The Avenue to be. Is it to be a late-night "show lounge" as a cabaret extension of the entertainment? Is it to be a place for a relaxing cocktail and background music? Some mid-point in between?

On a huge Princess/Celebrity ship, there are plenty of venues where lots of different styles of "late-night activity" can occur. Less options on a ship the size of Symphony and Serenity. So management needs to carefully match venue with performer and with desired product.

Apparently, Crystal management has decided that The Avenue is not to be a cabaret lounge. Enough feedback from guests has been processed and decisions made. Personally, if I wanted that kind of late-night, I'd be on Princess rather than Crystal.

Perhaps the new builds will have a cabaret room - possibly in the space formerly planned for the residences :)

This I think hits the nail on the head. We very much enjoy a style that emphasizes playing, singing, knowing the songbook, end of story. No need for audience participation. That is simply our preference. But as FT points out, Crystal has to try to accommodate a variety of tastes in a limited number of venues.

Nice post. Thx for mentioning it all, and I agree I'm sorry his contract was cancelled.

Mark Farris now shows as playing in the AS starting with Serenity's 29 July 2018 cruise from London-Monte Carlo.

Rob

Mark Farris now shows as playing in the AS starting with Serenity's 29 July 2018 cruise from London-Monte Carlo.

Rob

Drat it! Oh well I don't like the Avenue on Serenity anyway, very poorly laid out, and I guess I'm the only person in captivity who doesn't find Mark Farris' schtick amusing.

Drat it! Oh well I don't like the Avenue on Serenity anyway, very poorly laid out, and I guess I'm the only person in captivity who doesn't find Mark Farris' schtick amusing.[/quot

Although we do like Mark I must strongly agree with you about the AS on Serenity as compared to the Symphony as the site lines and seating are not as good as the Symphony. That being said, Mark is still the most popular on the river cruises and Serenity and Symphony.

Hopefully during dry dock Crystal might rethink the Serenity AS layout and make it more open instead of all those columns.

Looks like MArk is replacing Perry on the Serenity - that's the time Perry was supposed to be there but was cancelled.

Lucky Serenity cruisers! Either Mark or Perry are great! THe others we've experienced - well, without expressing an opinion, the AS was not very full most nights, as it is with Mark or Perry.

I hope that the information stating that Crystal has decided to no longer use the AS as a Cabaret is accurate. It should be a quiet piano bar. I have not spent time there late evening for the last several cruises. I am tired of listening to other guests sing (who really should only do so in the privacy of their own showers ) and ridiculous arm motions. The competition for the front row seats with Perry was obnoxious.

Bring back entertainment to match the stately decor of the venue!

I hope that the information stating that Crystal has decided to no longer use the AS as a Cabaret is accurate. It should be a quiet piano bar. I have not spent time there late evening for the last several cruises. I am tired of listening to other guests sing (who really should only do so in the privacy of their own showers ) and ridiculous arm motions. The competition for the front row seats with Perry was obnoxious.

Bring back entertainment to match the stately decor of the venue!

Totally agree!

Hopefully during dry dock Crystal might rethink the Serenity AS layout and make it more open instead of all those columns.

Several of the performers have referred to it as the floating Jefferson Memorial.

I hope that the information stating that Crystal has decided to no longer use the AS as a Cabaret is accurate.

Let me state that I am not a forum member with an inside pipeline to Crystal management. My earlier comment was based upon a couple pieces of information:

1) A particular performer took the concept of a cabaret-act and brought it to The Avenue in a very over-the-top manner.

2) There was a certain amount of negative feedback from guests regarding this "extention" to the atmosphere of The Avenue.

3) The perfomer in question publicly announced that his future contracts with Crystal have been canceled.

I just put two and two together - Crystal would never (IMO) just come right out and say "no more cabaret" or "just piano music". Of course, others might come to a different conclusion. YMMV.

Looks like MArk is replacing Perry on the Serenity - that's the time Perry was supposed to be there but was cancelled.

Lucky Serenity cruisers! Either Mark or Perry are great! THe others we've experienced - well, without expressing an opinion, the AS was not very full most nights, as it is with Mark or Perry.

I agree.

To each their own of course but Perry definitely made my cruise and gave me some wonderful memories with my family that I'll cherish for years to come. I hope he can find his way back to the Serenity/Symphony later in 2019.