Amex - American Express offer - $100 off of $500 spent on Princess

LMaxwell

Costco City bank Visa is offering a better deal, I just got done with a chat with them. 3% cash back $500 OBC, $250 exmilitary, and the Red/White/Blue sale - free gratuity. I'm looking at the Hawaii cruise out SF in January. BTW, the Amex Costco card ends 6/20. I'm applying for the new Citibank Visa.

Elliair,

Would you please clarify if the $500 OBC is for the hawaii cruise only, or any cruise? Is the OBC from the costco citi credit card, or from costco travel?

Thanks,

April

How long has it taken for people to see the statement credit?

With NCL and Carnival I was notified immediately the offer was redeemed and had the credit within 24 hours. No notification on the Princess one, no statement credit, payment went through 4 days ago, but on my offers page it shows as redeemed.

With NCL and Carnival I was notified immediately the offer was redeemed and had the credit within 24 hours. No notification on the Princess one, no statement credit, payment went through 4 days ago, but on my offers page it shows as redeemed.

24 hours. I made a payment Friday and the credit posted Saturday.

I also booked a cruise and was able to get my statement credit applied immediately once it went from the pending charges to the recent activity charges.

And ... referring to another question:

The offer states that it can not be used for gift card purchases -- although I hadn't tried doing it. It also stated that it could not be used for onboard spending, shore excursions, etc ... it was for bookings only.

I was going to transfer a current booking as it stated it was good on new bookings only. I don't believe that is the case. I went through the whole thing to change my booking and plunk down another $500 towards my balance ... lo and behold, the agency I use no longer accepts American Express. What?? A major travel agency not accepting a major credit card? I couldn't believe this was true. I ended up booking elsewhere and got the credit but lost out on a little more onboard credit than I saved by using a different agency ... so it really did me no good in the long run. :(

Oh well ... win some, lose some!

I was going to transfer a current booking as it stated it was good on new bookings only. I don't believe that is the case.

It is not the case. It does not state that it's for new bookings only. I applied a payment to a cruise next year that I had booked booked months ago. No problem.

It is not the case. It does not state that it's for new bookings only. I applied a payment to a cruise next year that I had booked booked months ago. No problem.

I just interpreted it that way but didn't think this was the case as you could definitely add to an existing reservation. This is the actual wording ... which I still think is a little vague but experience shows that I hadn't interpreted it correctly.

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a total of $500+ to purchase Princess Cruises sailing by contacting your travel consultant or by visiting princess.com between 6/13/2016 - 7/31/2016. See terms for exclusions.

Terms

Offer valid for qualifying reservations between 6/13/2016 and 7/31/2016. Includes spend for booking directly via princess.com, phone, or through travel agents. Excludes spend on board, gift cards/certificates, shore excursions, air/ground transportation, cruise insurance, group reservations and weddings and other occasions.

I just interpreted it that way but didn't think this was the case as you could definitely add to an existing reservation. This is the actual wording ... which I still think is a little vague but experience shows that I hadn't interpreted it correctly.

Get a one-time $100 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a total of $500+ to purchase Princess Cruises sailing by contacting your travel consultant or by visiting princess.com between 6/13/2016 - 7/31/2016. See terms for exclusions.

Terms

Offer valid for qualifying reservations between 6/13/2016 and 7/31/2016. Includes spend for booking directly via princess.com, phone, or through travel agents. Excludes spend on board, gift cards/certificates, shore excursions, air/ground transportation, cruise insurance, group reservations and weddings and other occasions.

My credit has posted to my account.

I made a payment to an existing reservation for someone else.

Does anyone who was able to manually add it to your Amex offers feel comfortable sharing your full name and the type of of Amex card you have? Amex said they can add it for me only if I can prove someone else had it added it

Edited by nykdrew

Does anyone who was able to manually add it to your Amex offers feel comfortable sharing your full name and the type of of Amex card you have? Amex said they can add it for me only if I can prove someone else had it added it

Here's how it works: if you have a AMEX, there are "offers" that show up online. You have to see it there to apply it. It's not like a personal promo-code that you add or that it can be added manually. I tried that for the Royal Caribbean offer and it didn't work.

Amex is asking you to prove that it was added manually because they know it can't be. Even if they tell you they can add it - they won't. It comes from Marketing.

But..seriously, do you think anyone would take the risk to provide you their full name and credit card type? May as well ask for their CC number too. :eek:

Here's how it works: if you have a AMEX, there are "offers" that show up online. You have to see it there to apply it. It's not like a personal promo-code that you add or that it can be added manually. I tried that for the Royal Caribbean offer and it didn't work.

Amex is asking you to prove that it was added manually because they know it can't be. Even if they tell you they can add it - they won't. It comes from Marketing.

But..seriously, do you think anyone would take the risk to provide you their full name and credit card type? May as well ask for their CC number too. :eek:

Not on this go around but mine was definitely added manually when they offered this last year.

PS -- I have an Amex Blue card ....and the post is correct ... I wouldn't feel comfortable giving my full name. I did post the POID previously ... I think it was on this post.

I have a gold American Express card. I have paid my deposit for two princess cruises, one this year and the other cruise is in '17. I have not seen any offers, will it come in the mail or is it just the luck of the draw? How do I go about getting this?

I have a gold American Express card. I have paid my deposit for two princess cruises, one this year and the other cruise is in '17. I have not seen any offers, will it come in the mail or is it just the luck of the draw? How do I go about getting this?

The offers are listed online once you log into Amex under your account. Then, click on the 'benefits' tab and then go to 'offers'. I used to have the Costco Amex card and never got too many offers under that card but always have about 80 offers under my Blue card.

Be sure to add it to your card before you make your deposit or payment.

Called and asked for this and was able to get it

How? I gave Amex the ID number; explained how my wife and I always get the same offers on each card, but this time she had the offer and I didn't (we had 90 other matching offers). No go. :confused:

I just signed in to my Amex card account and then looked under offers for travel and it was there. There appears to be a similar offer for Holland America. You then were asked to click on the offer(s) you wish to use so the offer goes into your account.

I am due to call in a payment today to Princess so this is great, thanks for pointing it out!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Apparently Costco Travel doesn't take AMEX anymore so I can't make a payment for my Princess cruise. Back when they only took AMEX in store you could use VISA/MC online, so I really don't get it. Does anyone know if I can make a payment to Princess directly or do I have to go through Costco? I have the offer on both my card and my husbands, so I'm looking at $200 free money. Thanks for the help!

Apparently Costco Travel doesn't take AMEX anymore so I can't make a payment for my Princess cruise. Back when they only took AMEX in store you could use VISA/MC online, so I really don't get it. Does anyone know if I can make a payment to Princess directly or do I have to go through Costco? I have the offer on both my card and my husbands, so I'm looking at $200 free money. Thanks for the help!

Can you buy a gift card from Princess using your AMEX then have Costco use that as your form a payment via Costco Travel?

Even when you used AMEX with them, did the charge go to them or to Princess.

Every TA I have used takes the number of whatever card I want to use and passes it on to Princess.

So if they just relay your card number to Princess I would think AMEX is still acceptable.