Where to stay in NY before cruising on Gem

BiancaV

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but I just responded to the post about parking

I just drive in and park at the pier no matter the cost so I look for convenience. I personally would never park at a hotel and take the train to save $$$

I totally agree. It's a 5 day cruise. Parking at the port is $200. Parking at LGA will be $100+ and round trip taxi about $100. It's a wash.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree. It's a 5 day cruise. Parking at the port is $200. Parking at LGA will be $100+ and round trip taxi about $100. It's a wash.

Carol,

You seem very knowledgeable about getting into the city from my area

(Naugatuck). I'm thinking about staying closer to the city to avoid some potential major traffic issues. Do you think it's best to do this? Or just drive leave the house by a certain time? I would also greatly appreciate you helping me with the cars only route in. Thank you

Carol,

(Naugatuck). I'm thinking about staying closer to the city to avoid some potential major traffic issues. Do you think it's best to do this? Or just drive leave the house by a certain time? I would also greatly appreciate you helping me with the cars only route in. Thank you

What date are you sailing? Hotel budget?

Carol,

Can't you just do 84 to 684 to the hutch to cross county to Henry Hudson to west side and right into the parking structure?

84 and 684 will have some trucks but it's never that bad

Alternately take side roads or whatever route you can from Naugatuck Ct to the Merritt to the hutch and go from there as stated above

To those that don't know the area that is actually one straight road over several parkways (cars only) that does not require getting off until you enter the parking structure

You really live rather close to NYC and IMHO an overnight isn't needed

I would leave at 7am and even with traffic you are at the pier at 10

Alternately if you don't want to drive take a taxi to the nearest metro north station to grand central and taxi to pier That's costly and time consuming though

Edited by luvtheships

Just returned from the cruise, we parked at the terminal $220. We had the discount coupon. Get there early, like 9 am, so you get a good parking spot. I had handicap parking do we were able to park next to the elevator.

Just returned from the cruise, we parked at the terminal $220. We had the discount coupon. Get there early, like 9 am, so you get a good parking spot. I had handicap parking do we were able to park next to the elevator.

Just an FYI there are always spots available so no worries but if you want a close in spot get there before 10

Can't you just do 84 to 684 to the hutch to cross county to Henry Hudson to west side and right into the parking structure?

84 and 684 will have some trucks but it's never that bad

Alternately take side roads or whatever route you can from Naugatuck Ct to the Merritt to the hutch and go from there as stated above

To those that don't know the area that is actually one straight road over several parkways (cars only) that does not require getting off until you enter the parking structure

You really live rather close to NYC and IMHO an overnight isn't needed

I would leave at 7am and even with traffic you are at the pier at 10

Alternately if you don't want to drive take a taxi to the nearest metro north station to grand central and taxi to pier That's costly and time consuming though

Thanks! We are a big family (7). So I'm

Pretty sure I'm stuck driving and parking which stinks for an 11 night cruise.

I don't understand why this stinks? If it were 5 nights you might have a point but then again you are not that far away so I don't get it

Aren't you in Naugatuck ct? What 75 miles?

The max charge is $400 for port parking

I dont honestly think you are so far away that you can't drive that morning and for 11 nights it's not like it's a weekend trip to NYC

What am I missing here? Are you a new driver? Do you have an old car? Do you not feel comfortable driving 7 pax?

You need to decide on this but

With 7 public transport or private ride round trip is too costly and inconvenient

You are only talking $400 round trip plus a tank of gas by driving and parking. How much cheaper or easier can you expect?

That's for 7 people. Do the math it's cheap and not a long enough ride to require an overnight stay

If you are having an issue with driving for some reason just pay a car service to pick you up in a van but you would be lucky if it's $400 one way

If there are other adults with you split the costs and driving among the adults. No need to pay for other adults even if they are your adults children. Lol

Are you sure you want to cruise?

11 days is wonderful

Could it be the other 6 pax that are an issue to you?? Lol

Edited by luvtheships

None of that is true. Because it is so close, like you said, it sucks to have to drive and park for 400$ and not get a ride. We usually have family drop us off and pick us up but can't do that this time. We drove to NYC a few weeks ago and left at 6:30 and there was a lot of traffic on both 95 and the meritt.... Just don't want to run into issues where I'm stressing... It is what it is though.

None of that is true. Because it is so close, like you said, it sucks to have to drive and park for 400$ and not get a ride. We usually have family drop us off and pick us up but can't do that this time. We drove to NYC a few weeks ago and left at 6:30 and there was a lot of traffic on both 95 and the meritt.... Just don't want to run into issues where I'm stressing... It is what it is though.

How exactly do you expect to get into NYC from Naugatuck at a reasonable costs without driving?

I assume when family did this they did it for free? You paid for gas I assume?

But whatever...you are answering your own questions as you dont have a "free ride" this time so you have to pay

$400 round trip is more than reasonable for a family of 7 for 11 days but the real reason I think you are at issue is you dont want to drive yourself or are concerned about the parking...which is probably the safest there is in NYC.

If So, is that issue enough of an issue to start checking out van services?

Just for fun, why can't family drop you off this time?

Is it because of the lengthy time it will take or that they are unavailable or that it's just to much to expect of them or they just don't want to?

I know it sounds snarky but really it's not a big deal to pay $400 to drive and park

Your dsc is going to be massive too but that's another story for a family of 7

Just an FYI..

I'm having a car service pick up my kid at jfk next week for $125 one way to white plains

Why? Because that is the only safe secure way to get her home as I can't make it that day

Btw she is 21 and covering the cost herself because she realizes the public transport or shuttle alternatives are too difficult and inconvenient for a savings of $60 perhaps. She has been abroad for some length so this convenience with luggage etc is priceless

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

$200 for 7 people, will never happen unless you stay at a flop house

Found one for around 200$ last night but still may just drive in early.

Just throwing ideas around right now and seeing if its recommended or not.

It seems to not be necessary.

Found one for around 200$ last night but still may just drive in early.

Just throwing ideas around right now and seeing if its recommended or not.

It seems to not be necessary.

Check it out in advance, could be in bad neighborhood or welfare hotel

Man you're nasty. Do you get off on attacking people for asking questions?

I'm trying to figure out if it's the driving or the cost that is getting to you

If you are willing to pay $200 for a room as in your above post and then drive in and park for $400 doesn't it just make more sense to drive in from home and be done with it?

If you are willing to pay $600 and since you seem to have an issue with driving seriously just hire a van car service

Think clearly on this one because you are making it more complicated than need be

No I'm not nasty at all I'm just a logistics engineer and trying to point out how simple it actually is for you to get from point a to point b

Check it out in advance, could be in bad neighborhood or welfare hotel

Absolutely as they do indeed exist in Westchester unless the poster is talking about staying in Stamford or something

I can't figure it out

If it makes you feel better, we are a family of 7 only 10 miles from the port, and we drove and parked the last time. A car service would have been about the same cost, but we prefer having our vehicle right there after the cruise, and not worrying over pick up times. Our van only seats 7, so no extra room for a driver. Getting the luggage all in wasn't all that easy, but doable. In your situation, I'd just leave home early.

If it makes you feel better, we are a family of 7 only 10 miles from the port, and we drove and parked the last time. A car service would have been about the same cost, but we prefer having our vehicle right there after the cruise, and not worrying over pick up times. Our van only seats 7, so no extra room for a driver. Getting the luggage all in wasn't all that easy, but doable. In your situation, I'd just leave home early.

Thank you so much! Yeah we have a 7 passenger van as well:)

I'm trying to figure out if it's the driving or the cost that is getting to you

If you are willing to pay $200 for a room as in your above post and then drive in and park for $400 doesn't it just make more sense to drive in from home and be done with it?

If you are willing to pay $600 and since you seem to have an issue with driving seriously just hire a van car service

Think clearly on this one because you are making it more complicated than need be

No I'm not nasty at all I'm just a logistics engineer and trying to point out how simple it actually is for you to get from point a to point b

I've come to realize that the 400$ to park is what it is. It's just not something we are used to. The driving wouldn't be an issue either if it wasn't for driving into the city a few weeks ago and here being a few hours of traffic on both 95 and the merrit. Just wanted to see what other people that come from CT typically do... I'm sure it's just drive in that day, I don't even know what time the ship embarks or leaves yet. That's bad eh?

I've come to realize that the 400$ to park is what it is. It's just not something we are used to. The driving wouldn't be an issue either if it wasn't for driving into the city a few weeks ago and here being a few hours of traffic on both 95 and the merrit. Just wanted to see what other people that come from CT typically do... I'm sure it's just drive in that day, I don't even know what time the ship embarks or leaves yet. That's bad eh?

You want to be at the pier by 10 am and it's a Saturday!!! You said November 5 correct? you might catch traffic but minimal you will be past white plains by 7 am if you leave at 6 and take 84/684 you would probably have more traffic driving to a hotel on a Friday night!!!

You disembark at 8 am and north bound traffics will only be on the hutch around the cross county to cross Westchester.

If either day is a weekend then no issue

You need to be onboard by 2 pm so if you want to leave at 9 am that works too but then you miss out on the ship that day

There is always a chance. Of accidents snarling traffic but you will have enough time if you leave at 6 am to find alternate routes.

You have the hutch the sprain the Bronx river parkways

Plus back roads and 87 to the FDR in a pinch

Just keep your gps handy.

Once you are in white plains there are so many easy ways into the city it's mind boggling

Edited by Crusin6

Carol,

WOW! I'm almost afraid to respond to this thread that has gone viral!

My preferred route would be the Merritt etc. I just don't like I84 west of Hartford. However, I have no sense of how route 8 is going cross country to the Merritt. You live in that area and will know which way you prefer.

Let's assume that you ultimately get on the Hutchinson River Parkway from either I684 or the Merritt. The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport.

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

We stay in hotels in the Stamford area at least once or twice a year. I've researched them all I think at some time or another. I usually use Hotwire for Greenwich/Stamford for at least a 3* hotel with at least an 80% approval rating. I've never been dissatisfied with the results. However, IMO you are so close to the pier, I wouldn't even consider doing a precruise overnight.

WOW! I'm almost afraid to respond to this thread that has gone viral!

My preferred route would be the Merritt etc. I just don't like I84 west of Hartford. However, I have no sense of how route 8 is going cross country to the Merritt. You live in that area and will know which way you prefer.

Let's assume that you ultimately get on the Hutchinson River Parkway from either I684 or the Merritt. The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. Stay on the Henry Hudson to where it ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport.

The are no trucks on this route and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

We stay in hotels in the Stamford area at least once or twice a year. I've researched them all I think at some time or another. I usually use Hotwire for Greenwich/Stamford for at least a 3* hotel with at least an 80% approval rating. I've never been dissatisfied with the results. However, IMO you are so close to the pier, I wouldn't even consider doing a precruise overnight.

Perfect thank you so much! I appreciate it! Do you think 1 hour of traffic time factored in if we left by 6:30 am would be sufficient? It's a 2 hour ride without traffic, max. Thanks again!

Perfect thank you so much! I appreciate it! Do you think 1 hour of traffic time factored in if we left by 6:30 am would be sufficient? It's a 2 hour ride without traffic, max. Thanks again!

I did a one day cruise to nowhere on the Gem on a weekday. I live northwest of Boston and left home at 6 am and was pulling into the pier parking at 10 am. It's a Sat morning, so traffic doesn't really start to build up until 10 am. We're driving down this coming Sat to Westchester. I expect to leave a at 7 am and be there no later than 11 with at least one stop.

IMO the toll on the Henry Hudson Parkway keeps the cars off of there big time. It's really worth spending the extra money to avoid the intersection of I87 and I95.

Shoot for 6:30 am and be happy if you can actually leave by 7 am.