Trip Insurance-I used mine, don't leave home without it

txskier

Any insurance is something we hope we don't have to use. I finally had to use mine.

We were recently on a b2b on Adventure of the Seas.

May21 was booked through RCCL and I purchased their insurance

May28 was booked through United Cruises and I purchased their insurance offering.

We were in week 2 of the b2b in Bonaire. We came back from our excursion, shopped briefly at the pier, got on the ship and had a light lunch on the promenade cafe'. It is now about 200pm

We got to the cabin and I jumped in the shower first. Got done with that and sent off a couple of emails. Then lied down on the sofa and then the bed.

By the time my wife got out of the shower, I said I think we need to go see the ship doctor, I have chest pains. It is now about 330pm.

We made it to the ship doctor, they hooked me up to an EKG and did a blood draw for the "marker" to determine if I am having a heart attack.

The doctor came back and said we have to get you off the ship and pointed to my wife and said you need to pack your bags. Off she went with someone who was in the room at the time. Three others and the ship concierge met them in the cabin. In her words, they threw everything in the bags real fast.

Fast forward to about 530 (ship was scheduled for a 500pm departure). I am told that I was being taken off the ship. I ask where's my wife? She is waiting on the pier with our bags. When the gurney hits the gangway, I see our bags and my wife standing behind the bags crying. I glance up the side of the ship and see thousands of people looking down. Now I am "that guy" getting put into the ambulance. The ship agent hauled our bags in his truck.

I am off to the San Francisco Hospital in Bonaire.

Guess what, the hospital in Bonaire is not equipped to handle cardio care either. The doctor their said we have to get you off the island.

Once my wife found the correct insurance for the week we were sailing, all of the angels fell into place.

The insurance company was able to send a jet ambulance from the Dominican Republic. It would not arrive til 130am.

I flat lined once.

My pain through this whole ordeal was never more than a 5 with a 10 being a kidney stone I have had once.

My wife repacked our bags, I told her to bring the computer bag and camera and her carry on. She packed 2 days of clothes for her. I had what I had on.

There was not enough room in the air ambulance for all of our "stuff".

The ship agent would later send the bags back via DHL.

The plane arrives at 130.....we are taking off at 200am.

We are going to Fort Lauderdale to Broward Medical Health.

There is a cardiac team waiting for us at 530am.

2 stents later in the lower anterior descending artery, I am much better.

When reflecting back on a lot of the islands we visit on a cruise, there are plenty that do not have critical cardio care.

That was one heck of an excursion I don't care to repeat.

Don't forget you travel insurance. Look at the amount for emergency evacuation. We were told that the jet to Fort Lauderdale was being billed at $25,000.

Dan

A lesson for all of us and I am glad that you are well. What worries me occasionally is that I am older and sometimes I am on trips that are hours away from even 2md rate medical care. It will not stop me from traveling however. I guess that if I have to die somewhere, it is better happening in a really neat place instead of at home in bed. It would be a bit harder on my wife however.

DON

A lesson for all of us and I am glad that you are well. What worries me occasionally is that I am older and sometimes I am on trips that are hours away from even 2md rate medical care. It will not stop me from traveling however. I guess that if I have to die somewhere, it is better happening in a really neat place instead of at home in bed. It would be a bit harder on my wife however.

DON

We have had for several years MedJet Assist purchased yearly through AARP discounted membership plan. The concept is that they arrange for transportation from hospital to hospital. Medical Evacuation insurance is needed to get to the first hospital. Someone on this board is a former medical insurance guy and he says medical emergency is the risk that can bankrupt you -- loosing the cruise is what we worry about but that is a cost that you should be able to handle without financial meltdown -- but medical emergency is really EXPENSIVE! Even something as "manageable" as a broken leg can give you huge bills for getting back to your home health care team. My sister's broken leg in Oregon away from her Tallahassee Fl. home meant walkup first class ticket one way home! (could not bend the leg so needed a bit more room than her original economy flight that left 2 days earlier.

Also consider that some of the insurance plans from companies not providing the services (in plain language NOT the tour provider/cruise line/airline) will give you more insurance options and protect you from the company going bankrupt while you are in Tim Buck Too. Buy enough insurance. $100, 000 is probably less than you need for a modest emergency. Read the information in this forum. Smart people. Just saying.:p

So glad you are okay and thanks for sharing your story. And don' worry about being "that guy" bc all that means is that you had a ton more people praying for you and I'm sure they were very concerned!

Medical issues happening to me in another country is one the main reason I buy the insurance.

This is why trip insurance saves lives. If you do not have insurance and your traveling companion can't convince an air ambulance company you can pay the bill, you are simply going to die. Not the cruise line, not the consulate, not the airline, and certainly not the benighted place you are stuck in, is going to pay for one for you.

We are hoping to cruise next year. Where do I get the insurance?

You can check out insuremytrip dot com and make a decision base on your needs. I look to choose one that makes cruise insurance primary for my medical.

My TA uses Travel Insured. I had to file a claim with them and they were wonderful! Just be sure to purchase the policy within days of booking your cruise. Also, see if they have a cancel for any reason (CFAR) clause. Also, keep all documentation of receipts, etc so if you jave to file a claim, you have all relevant information.

You can check out insuremytrip dot com and make a decision base on your needs. I look to choose one that makes cruise insurance primary for my medical.

My TA uses Travel Insured. I had to file a claim with them and they were wonderful! Just be sure to purchase the policy within days of booking your cruise. Also, see if they have a cancel for any reason (CFAR) clause. Also, keep all documentation of receipts, etc so if you jave to file a claim, you have all relevant information.

Thank you!

We use TripInsuranceStore.com - and we also usually get insurance from Travel Insured.

Our first travel insurance, for our first "big trip" (other than honeymoon a while ago) ended up cancelled with less than 2 weeks to go due to a medical emergency.

Obviously, we had to complete all the necessary documentation, but our experience was like erby2283's.

Travel Insured paid without any nonsense.

Once the docs were all received, we soon got a phone call that a check was being sent, and within a week, we received a check for the full amount.

We were careful to get coverage that included the waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion, so they didn't need to do a lot of checking of old medical records, so that probably helped with a timely payment.

Although we purchased the insurance because we were concerned out medical costs while traveling, because we never left home, those costs were covered by our regular health insurance.

But it was awfully nice, while dealing with the medical care for many weeks, to know that we weren't going to have to pay *twice* to take that same trip later.

Comprehensive trip insurance with a large medical evacuation coverage. Don't leave home without it.

Chances are you won't need it. But chance it is. If you do and have it, you survive the financial outlay. If you don't, you may not.

I have used my trip insurance only once. It would not have bankrupted me not to have it but in the end it cost me nothing on that trip. The rest of the time, I had peace of mind.

Thanks for the great post and comments. I am also trying to get the word out that the evacuation is ones biggest financial risk.

I have been looking into the medjet assist program but have a few problems with their policy. I don't think it would cover the broken leg, as one needs to be transported to a hospital and this condition would not meet the criteria. Secondly, I was told by them that the quickest evacuation that they have done takes two days. Usually five. Too long for me.

First, I'd like to say to the OP: glad you are well and all worked out for your good!

Second, I'm a bit confused about insurance and would appreciate clarity:

If I have BC/BS PPO as medical insurance, does that not cover me while I am on vacation?

Or should I just purchase vacation medical insurance to supplement my BC/BC PPO coverage?

I always purchase the CruiseCare insurance at the time of booking. Is the supplemental insurance for cancellation and/or medical?

Thanks in advance!

When I compare pricing on Insure my Trip (for Travel Safe) versus directly through Travel Safe's website, it is cheaper through IMT? Anyone know why? Is there a difference? Does anyone know if it's easier dealing with one versus the other? TIA.

First, I'd like to say to the OP: glad you are well and all worked out for your good!

If I have BC/BS PPO as medical insurance, does that not cover me while I am on vacation?

Or should I just purchase vacation medical insurance to supplement my BC/BC PPO coverage?

I always purchase the CruiseCare insurance at the time of booking. Is the supplemental insurance for cancellation and/or medical?

Thanks in advance!

SteadyBetty, most likely your BC/BS policy will not cover outside of the US.

And if it does, may not cover medical evacuation.

Always save all receipts to make a claim on your travel policy.

Verify what the dollar amount on the medical evacuation covers.

The dollars can add up quickly.

$560 the approximate amount we spent on the ship.

$4500 the amount spent in the Bonaire Hospital

$470 the amount spent to ship our bags back via DHL with the help of the ship agent.

The above amounts plus some other costs have been filed on the travel insurance policy for reimbursement.

The jet ambulance was paid by the travel insurance directly to them. The 3rd party administrator of the policy needed doctor intervention on the phone to verify the urgency of the situation before they would dispatch. We were told this amount was $25,000 for my evacuation.

Once we were stateside in Fort Lauderdale at Broward Medical Health, our insurance policy took over. We are roughly about $2200 out of pocket for everything that has been billed so far at Broward.

When I was in the emergency room, my wife was in another room speaking with the ship agent, Royal Caribbean Care Team, Travel Insurance 3rd party administrator.....to sort the travel insurance. At the last minute I almost did not print out the policy because I had a pdf on the computer. Always print the policy out.

thanks

Dan

Thanks in advance!

I have BC/BS PPO in Florida. I called them and they said they do cover on a cruise. However, you would have to pay the difference between the PPO charges and the out of network charges. The medical costs on a cruise are extremely expensive. Consequently, we purchase the cruise line insurance to pick up the unpaid portions processed through BC/BS. We purchase CruiseCare insurance through RCI because costs are the same no matter the age. Third party insurance takes age into consideration.

Our Chase Sapphire Preferred Client credit card has good travel/cancellation coverage (varies from state to state, just as BCBS coverage varies from state to state). There is no charge for this coverage. You only need to purchase the cruise on Chase's credit card.

Medical evacuations are extremely expensive. So we purchase Travel Assist from Good Sam which covers for a full year.

Therefore check with your medical insurance company and credit card and read the details on the cruise line website.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps.

SteadyBetty, most likely your BC/BS policy will not cover outside of the US.

And if it does, may not cover medical evacuation.

Always save all receipts to make a claim on your travel policy.

Verify what the dollar amount on the medical evacuation covers.

The dollars can add up quickly.

$560 the approximate amount we spent on the ship.

$4500 the amount spent in the Bonaire Hospital

$470 the amount spent to ship our bags back via DHL with the help of the ship agent.

The above amounts plus some other costs have been filed on the travel insurance policy for reimbursement.

The jet ambulance was paid by the travel insurance directly to them. The 3rd party administrator of the policy needed doctor intervention on the phone to verify the urgency of the situation before they would dispatch. We were told this amount was $25,000 for my evacuation.

Once we were stateside in Fort Lauderdale at Broward Medical Health, our insurance policy took over. We are roughly about $2200 out of pocket for everything that has been billed so far at Broward.

When I was in the emergency room, my wife was in another room speaking with the ship agent, Royal Caribbean Care Team, Travel Insurance 3rd party administrator.....to sort the travel insurance. At the last minute I almost did not print out the policy because I had a pdf on the computer. Always print the policy out.

thanks

Dan

Hi Dan! Thank you for the clarity on insurance. And again, I'm glad all worked out with your health and with the insurance. I hope you cruise again soon!

I have BC/BS PPO in Florida. I called them and they said they do cover on a cruise. However, you would have to pay the difference between the PPO charges and the out of network charges. The medical costs on a cruise are extremely expensive. Consequently, we purchase the cruise line insurance to pick up the unpaid portions processed through BC/BS. We purchase CruiseCare insurance through RCI because costs are the same no matter the age. Third party insurance takes age into consideration.

Our Chase Sapphire Preferred Client credit card has good travel/cancellation coverage (varies from state to state, just as BCBS coverage varies from state to state). There is no charge for this coverage. You only need to purchase the cruise on Chase's credit card.

Medical evacuations are extremely expensive. So we purchase Travel Assist from Good Sam which covers for a full year.

Therefore check with your medical insurance company and credit card and read the details on the cruise line website.

Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps.

iuki,

Thank you for the explanation as well! I will make sure to check out the additional insurance options.

The other point to take away from this is that it was, even under good circumstances, it 12 hours to definitive care. This is the risk with all travel. I am so glad that you are well!

It's not going to stop me from traveling, but my takeaway is that it is not like at home, where a plane or helicopter swoops down in no time It takes time to arrange with travel insurance. In my case, like yours, the better part of a day for stop one, and several days to hospital two.

When I think emergency evacuation, I used to think of Rescue 911 with William Shatner and immediate response time.

I was told by medjet assist that two days was the fastest they evacuate and it can take up to five days. A long time to be in Bonaire.

Thanks for the great post and comments. I am also trying to get the word out that the evacuation is ones biggest financial risk.

I have been looking into the medjet assist program but have a few problems with their policy. I don't think it would cover the broken leg, as one needs to be transported to a hospital and this condition would not meet the criteria. Secondly, I was told by them that the quickest evacuation that they have done takes two days. Usually five. Too long for me.

About a "broken leg"...

If you need to be in traction and/or a full body cast or such, then MedJetAssist would no doubt kick in (assuming you were stable enough to be moved).

If you "just" had a cast and needed crutches or a wheelchair, well... that could be accommodated by regular air travel (perhaps business class?).

There would be no need for "medevac" in that case.

And if you read the MedJetAssist policy, they do mention something like transferring the patient in business class with an attending nurse (don't remember the exact wording).

That also might cover a 'broken leg', depending upon the overall condition of the patient.

If you were in bad enough condition to *need* the MedJetAssist services, you'd probably have already landed in a hospital.

Regular travel insurance would probably cover the extra cost of a business class ticket, if a physician stated you needed that space, etc.

If you have specific queries like this, you should contact MedJetAssist directly, or perhaps also (or first?) try asking Steve at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

He's helped us with 'what if' insurance needs, and also with "how could we file for this unusual situation" claims.

[We weren't sure it was covered at all; he told us it was, and we filed. Happy ending except for the illness and delays...]

Right. One still needs traditional medical insurance and evacuation to cover a transport that does not require hospitalization at home. My husband needed oxygen and flight nurse to administer it, but did not require s hospitalization at home .

I did not require a fourth hospitalization at home as I was not fit to travel for a few weeks after my accident . But I required a $7000 first class ticket home as specified on my fit to fly.

My flight nurse said there are three options with her transports ;home, hospital and rehab.

Two out of three are not covered by medjet.

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising in a couple of days. Is it to late to buy insurance for an elderly person? And what do you have to purchase ? I'm a bit confused. do I have to buy 2 different types and from companies? He's had some unexpected medical issues recently and I'm not sure if any of the insurances will cover if something happens. Any information will be appreciated