Bedbugs on Constellation

cruzin.cat

Bed bugs can be found on cruise ships. My father was on another cruise line 10 years ago and he and his wife woke up the next morning covered with bites. They were taken out of the cabin, and upgraded (nice because it was a 35 day cruise). They had all of their clothes, possessions, and luggage fumigated and cleaned. They were given a lot of OBC, comped meals in the specialty restaurant and the crew constantly checked on their well-being. Things happen. The cruise line made things right.

I agree that bedbugs can be anywhere, including pre-cruise hotel, someone else's luggage, and ship's cabin. Always best to check.

I realize that OP's post is old and this is a resurrected thread, but I'm not really sure what OP was looking for. She complains about contacting Celebrity but getting no response. What kind of response was OP looking for? OP told Celebrity about the issue, presumably they would address it. Not sure if OP was looking for 1) "thank you for letting us know, we will take care of it" or 2) "so sorry this happened to you, here's $1,000 in future OBC for your troubles".

The cynic in me thinks it was #2.

But regardless, always a good reminder to check for bedbugs.

I have to echo the comments that are raising eyebrows at spraying the mattress with some kind of insecticide. Plenty of people are allergic to things like that. The response was then, you spray under the mattress not on it. To which I would have to wonder, how many people actually follow instructions correctly? I have no doubt mattress tops would get sprayed.

Bed bugs can be found on cruise ships. My father was on another cruise line 10 years ago and he and his wife woke up the next morning covered with bites. They were taken out of the cabin, and upgraded (nice because it was a 35 day cruise). They had all of their clothes, possessions, and luggage fumigated and cleaned. They were given a lot of OBC, comped meals in the specialty restaurant and the crew constantly checked on their well-being. Things happen. The cruise line made things right.

The same thing happened to a second cousin of one of my poker buddies wives ex-husband's in-laws on his grandmother's side.

Has anyone returned from Constellation since the 19th May and been bitten by bedbugs? We had cabin 8097 and were badly bitten. I contacted Celebrity but they have failed to respond, I expect they are turning a blind eye to it. If you are in this cabin and these critters get into your case they will be all over your house after you get home. How can Celebrity not take this report seriously?

Thank you for posting as we are on the Connie next year. I know this can happen on any ship, hotel, most anyplace. And thanks to the poster who suggested the flashlight inspection

Everyone the denial is a big part of the problem here. I am so frustrated reading some of these comments because I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with this more than once. Finding bedbugs in a hotel the first time made me completely paranoid so I now lift the mattress and box spring- inspecting every crevice.

We recently went to a luxury B&B that we stayed in over the summer (with no bugs!) and found the suckers (no pun intended!) on the underside of the box spring. Right in the seams. I was so horrified.... even more so when they sent us to another hotel and we found them there too!!

I'm realizing what a widespread problem this is. They can come from airplanes, hotel rooms, cruise ships... anywhere.

I think there is a lot of wrong information out there because people generally keep quiet with the negative stigma attached to bedbugs.

Protocol is the only avoidance. When you get to your hotel/cruise ship put your luggage in the bathtub or do not bring it into the room. Lift the mattress and use your phone flashlight to carefully inspect the seams and underside all the way around. (2 people necessary and it is not fun). Most people who do check stop here. If you want to be sure of a bedbug free cruise, next lift the box spring and do the same inspection. Check the bedframe and headboard while you have the mattress/boxspring up. As some said you may see black or red stains which is the fecal matter. This may not always be there though, especially if it is a new infestation so you can't rely on this only. (We did not see this at our luxury B&B). If they are not on the box spring/frame/headboard you can rest easy!

Another good idea if you are flying is to do this same inspection of your luggage once you claim it and when you unpack.

I have been lucky to never experience this on a cruise ship... my feeling is that there is regular pest control with the high turnover to prevent it. It is a HUGE fear though. What if you find them when the ship is at 100% capacity? Omg!!!:eek:

Hope this is helpful and that everyone heeds the advice to keep us all bug free and happily cruising!

Yes, photos would be be proof. If someone has the time to come here and complain about an issue, they certainly had time to take a photo of the problem while on board.

She says she didn't realize they were bedbugs until after she got home. She took pictures of her bites and just assumed they were bedbugs.

I don't doubt that bedbugs can exist on cruise ships, but my issue is that she may have mistakenly assumed they were bedbugs without any definitive proof. She could have gotten those bedbug bites in the hotel she stayed in prior to boarding. Without her having seen them actually on the bed, it's hard to say. And it just stirs people into a panic.